Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Red Wings 5 Maple Leafs 4 Final ot.

And remember when we had Yzerman and Fedorov we didn't win. We needed more.

And Edmonton, Toronto? Are you going to ignore that.. You don't need SS, sure they're nice but if they don't win who cares. You need a team.
Your examples are silly. Look at teams who have actually won the freaking Cup not those who haven't.

Atlanta couldn't win a cup with Ilya Kovalchuk guys! See you don't need superstars

Your examples are silly. Look at teams who have actually won the freaking Cup not those who haven't.
Not silly just not your narrative that we need SS. When other teams have them and have done shit.

One team wins the cup per year my man. There's more than one superstar around the league

I think you forgot how shitty this team was 5 years ago..
But you complain about Yzerman because we don't have a 'SS'.
Yes of course I do. He's the GM. He's had multiple drafts and free agency periods and trade deadlines to acquire one. We still don't have one.

I am not an idiot, I understand very well the team has improved tremendously since he took over. That doesn't mean I am happy that we may yet again be a non-playoff team when we very well should be in. I'm not just going to pass the buck onto lady luck and say "aww well if Larkin didn't get hurt sniffle".

Screw that. If you're reliant on one player at this point you haven't developed a great team. I demand and expect better, and all Detroit fans should as well. If you like living in mediocrity than that's what you'll keep getting.

Yes of course I do. He's the GM. He's had multiple drafts and free agency periods and trade deadlines to acquire one. We still don't have one.

I am not an idiot, I understand very well the team has improved tremendously since he took over. That doesn't mean I am happy that we may yet again be a non-playoff team when we very well should be in. I'm not just going to pass the buck onto lady luck and say "aww well if Larkin didn't get hurt sniffle".

Screw that. If you're reliant on one player at this point you haven't developed a great team. I demand and expect better, and all Detroit fans should as well. If you like living in mediocrity than that's what you'll keep getting.
I'm not sure I understand the 'very well should be in' 2 months ago. No guarentee's and this late and still a chance it's exciting. It's just we have a difference of how long a rebuild takes. I look at improvements, and I've seen it every year. We could be Buffalo or Ottawa.

I'm not sure I understand the 'very well should be in' 2 months ago. No guarentee's and this late and still a chance it's exciting. It's just we have a difference of how long a rebuild takes. I look at improvements, and I've seen it every year. We could be Buffalo or Ottawa.
What's not to understand about it? We are tied for a wildcard spot now and that's after going 6-12-3 since February 29th like I've stated many times. It stands to reason that most fans expected the team to make the playoffs back on that date before this stretch of horrible play.

Look I don't wanna keep escalating here. I know very well we're not Buffalo or Ottawa or any other bad franchise etc. I'm just saying I am underwhelmed overall and especially disappointed with this potential collapse this year. I don't want Yzerman to be fired at all, I just think he is deserving of criticism. Lalonde I am more skeptical of and would not be sorry if he was to be let go.

What's not to understand about it? We are tied for a wildcard spot now and that's after going 6-12-3 since February 29th like I've stated many times. It stands to reason that most fans expected the team to make the playoffs back on that date before this stretch of horrible play.

Look I don't wanna keep escalating here. I know very well we're not Buffalo or Ottawa or any other bad franchise etc. I'm just saying I am underwhelmed overall and especially disappointed with this potential collapse this year. I don't want Yzerman to be fired at all, I just think he is deserving of criticism. Lalonde I am more skeptical of and would not be sorry if he was to be let go.
You keep on forgetting about the other teams. Everyone competing has seen a collapse of some sort. They've all had a 6-12-3 run or worse. Just March was our time.. But we got through it and gave us a chance.

You keep on forgetting about the other teams. Everyone competing has seen a collapse of some sort. They've all had a 6-12-3 run or worse. Just March was our time.. But we got through it and gave us a chance.
Seriously? So if the Lions are 8-5 at the start of December and then go 0-4 to miss the playoffs you just chalk it up as "aw shucks we hit our bad streak at the wrong time of year"?

Collapses are called collapses based on when they happen and the circumstances surrounding them. It's not a collapse if you lose 7 straight games in December.

It's a collapse if you lose 7 straight games in March when you were clearly a playoff team prior to that losing streak.

You're also just lumping us in with all these other mediocre playoff fringe teams as if that's something to be proud of. Look we're doing the same stuff Pitt and Wash are doing!

These aren't good teams...

You're also just lumping us in with all these other mediocre playoff fringe teams as if that's something to be proud of. Look we're doing the same stuff Pitt and Wash are doing!

These aren't good teams...
Sure they are. They might not be great but they're good. And at the Lions comparison you might have a point if the Wings were in a WC spot and then went 0-4 to end the season but the season wasn't over and they're getting a win here and there.. And still have a chance. So its a bit different. Would you feel differently if we were bad then went 16-7-3 and had the same record?

Sure they are. They might not be great but they're good. And at the Lions comparison you might have a point if the Wings were in a WC spot and then went 0-4 to end the season but the season wasn't over and they're getting a win here and there.. And still have a chance. So its a bit different. Would you feel differently if we were bad then went 16-7-3 and had the same record?
You know exactly what I'm trying to say with my Lions example and yes it's a fair one. Even forget the 0-4 hypothetical and go with 1-3 and the same scenario where they miss the playoffs at 9-8 (they had that exact record in 2022 and missed the playoffs). That's essentially what the Red wings are doing now with their 6-12-3 record which translates to a less than 0.33 winning percentage. They were 8 points clear of a playoff spot on February 29th and have shat the bed ever since.

Obviously I'd feel very differently if they started off bad and got hot. That means they showed signs of improvement and probably felt all kinds of momentum heading into their playoff run rather than what I'm currently watching which is them choking all over themselves and playing like zombies half the time.

Stevie has them right where they were before he got here. Outside the playoffs looking in. 5 years in. Those are facts

Stevie has them right where they were before he got here. Outside the playoffs looking in. 5 years in. Those are facts
To be fair they were way out of the playoffs looking in. Those are facts. You don't go from 39 points to playoffs in 3 seasons. There is a reason he is considered one of the best GM's there are, also fact. Just look at the new players this season and the points they've gotten.. Incrediable amount. Another fact.

To be fair they were way out of the playoffs looking in. Those are facts. You don't go from 39 points to playoffs in 3 seasons. There is a reason he is considered one of the best GM's there are, also fact. Just look at the new players this season and the points they've gotten.. Incrediable amount. Another
You realize he was the gm during that horrible year, right? The year before they won 32 games which still sucked. Congrats, 5 years later and Stevie has increased their wins by 7. Hardly worth praise. So on their current trajectory they should sneak in as an 8th seed next year and then contracts on these young guys start becoming problems.

You realize he was the gm during that horrible year, right? The year before they won 32 games which still sucked. Congrats, 5 years later and Stevie has increased their wins by 7. Hardly worth praise. So on their current trajectory they should sneak in as an 8th seed next year and then contracts on these young guys start becoming problems.
Because they had no talent. This is not NFL or NBA, you don't draft guys and have them on the pro team right away. There's no quick build in the NHL. And who was coming to Detroit at that point.. via FA. They were terrible.

Back