Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

RIP Ryan Mallett

Michchamp

drowned at a beach in Florida. he was 35. (link)

sounds completely accidental; was swimming in a group that started struggling in the surf. According to the article, was a HS coach

I temped fate in Porta Plata on my Honey Moon way back in 1987. Looking back in it there is no way we should have been in the water. But a few kids were body surfing. ?Weather was not good but the waves were huge.

Last edited:
I temped fate in Porta Plata on my Honey Moon way back in 1987. Looking back in it there is no way we should have been in the water. But a few kids were body surfing. ?Weather was not good but the waves were huge.

I?m glad you survived.

I like water fine. Just not when I'm getting tossed around by it. RIP Ryan Mallett.

I was just at the gulf last week for a vacation. As insanely hot as it's been here, there are high winds on the coast, and corresponding high waves and surf.

Wading out to the 2nd sandbar seemed pretty safe, but the 3rd sandbar got a little iffy. I can't imagine going beyond that into deeper than chest-deep water given the size of the waves - even without rip currents drawing you out into the Gulf.

and beyond that, the waves push those damn jellyfish closer to shore. saw a few in the sand. Getting stung along your leg or thigh is bad enough, but all over your arms/chest/face... no thanks.

Big, younger dude like that, I?m sure his swimming abilities were a bit compromised by something ?.like beer or vodka or something.

Damn sad.

Big, younger dude like that, I?m sure his swimming abilities were a bit compromised by something ?.like beer or vodka or something.

Damn sad.

I would definitely need strong drink if I had to visit Florida.

Damn sad.

Rip currents are no joke, really good swimmers drown in them. Over here on the east coast of Florida drownings are common. The key is to not panic and let the current take you out and swim parallel with the shore. I never go out very far here without a surfboard.

Rip currents are no joke, really good swimmers drown in them. Over here on the east coast of Florida drownings are common. The key is to not panic and let the current take you out and swim parallel with the shore. I never go out very far here without a surfboard.

How far is the average rip current off the shore? Can it pull off your feet?

How far is the average rip current off the shore? Can it pull off your feet?

I'm going to say no, but the answer depends on a lot of different factors, due to the shape of the shore, direction of the wind, depth of the water, etc. If you're in chest deep water already, with waves above your head, maybe. you'd have trouble keeping your place, and it would pull you out.

Basically, when a prevailing wind piles water up on the shore, a channel of water moving away from the beach pushes through... that's the rip current. It usually only goes out past the surf zone, so if you let yourself float out past it, you can then swim back. Or alternatively, swim parrellel to the shore until you get out of it, then swim back in. Trying to fight it will exhaust you.

rip-current-1.jpg

Sometimes in shallower water, you can feel the force of it in places, and in between waves... like the water sucking you back out to the open ocean (or Lake). But a rip current is more persistent.

This has all been circulated in local media (from what I've seen) because there are a lot of drownings around here, especially among teenagers or kids that don't know better... they swim out or wade into deeper water and get swept up by a wave, then they start to feel themselves get drawn out, panic, and drown while frantically trying to fight the current. But from what I've read, it's not always an obvious situation with a clear solution, depending on the depth of the water, shape of the beach, etc. Last week, where I was, with the force of the waves and the sandbars, the depth could go from knee high to chest high within a couple steps. There were single red flags up the entire time, but still hundreds - if not a 1,000 or so - people all in the water along the beach.

Assuming that's what did Mallett in, it is kinda surprising for a guy his age who lived in and around the Gulf to not be aware of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
spot-the-rip.jpg

I guess you can actually see it. In shallower water, you'd notice the pull of it out to sea, but it would only be dangerous if you weren't able to stay on your feet and keep your position.

If you have a surfboard I would speculate that your understanding of oceanic survival is better than most.

Me - I just stay out of the ocean - haven?t set foot in decades.

And I am 10 miles from the Pacific Ocean as the crow flies.

If you have a surfboard I would speculate that your understanding of oceanic survival is better than most.

Me - I just stay out of the ocean - haven?t set foot in decades.

And I am 10 miles from the Pacific Ocean as the crow flies.

You haven't explored explored the beaches of Southern California, from La Jolla to Leo Carrillo and... up to... Pismo?

You haven't explored explored the beaches of Southern California, from La Jolla to Leo Carrillo and... up to... Pismo?

I sure have driven along the Pac Coast Hwy along the Pacific a number of times over the years. San Diego, the ocean drive from Venice to Malibu, San Simeon, Pismo, Morrow Bay?spectacular views.

Take that back ? I just remembered that I did go out into the ocean at night at Santa Cruz with this one crazy girl I was going out with maybe 20 years ago.

I guess that is still technically decades.

Back