Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Romney was a jerk in high school

Every kid at Rice was a tough guy. Right. I know differently. Not a knock, but just the case with any HS population. Some are; some aren't.

I remember when I was playing water polo for Ann Arbor Pioneer, and we went to Brother Rice for a match.

Anyway, this one son of a bitch was guarding me a little more closely than I wanted him to, so in the shallow end, when the ball got swatted out into the deep end and all of a sudden everybody started swimming out after it, I stood up in shallow end and kneed that mother fucker right in his balls.

He didn't cover me as closely after that.

I remember when I was playing water polo for Ann Arbor Pioneer, and we went to Brother Rice for a match.

Anyway, this one son of a bitch was guarding me a little more closely than I wanted him to, so in the shallow end, when the ball got swatted out into the deep end and all of a sudden everybody started swimming out after it, I stood up in shallow end and kneed that mother fucker right in his balls.

When I was a varsity HS ballplayer at Royal Oak Kimball, we beat Rice 2 of 3, once when we were ranked #1 in the state and once when they were. I had a good friend who played for them, so the rivalry was even more intense for me.

I was a left handed thrower too, and I played first base in little league growing up (technically it was the Ann Arbor Rec Dept league, we had that instead of little league).

I'm pretty ambidextrous though, I was a switch hitter (I wasn't super great from either side of the plate) and when I played water polo my shot from the right side was pretty good.

I'm on haitus from sparring and getting punched in boxing right now, but when I box I'm a converted southpaw and I've gotten a lot more comfortable from the orthodox position than from southpaw.

Last edited:
I'm ambidextrous, but in a weird way.

I write left-handed, eat left-handed, etc., but when it comes to sports, I favor my right hand. I bat, golf, throw, shoot, right-handed.

I could probably switch hit with a little more practice. In softball, it's not hard.

the biggest advantage is volleyball. I can spike with either hand. that's the only sport where I don't really favor one side.

Tinsel, were you a jerk in high school, like Romney?

No, not generally, just a few times in the heat of athletic competition.

I was a performance artist too, so I kinda had to do it anyway for my "street cred."

Ha, ha., the mechanics of this forum are kinda "glitchy;" has anybody else noticed that?

That was you? You owe me for some medical bills buddy.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was you? You owe me for some medical bills buddy.

LOL.

Did you really play though? Rice didn't have a water polo team while I was there. I think they eliminated it in the 80's or early 90's.

one of the brothers who taught us used to brag about how the team won a state title (or something) when he coached them. we laughed about it, but I didn't realize how brutal of a sport it can actually be.

LOL.

Did you really play though? Rice didn't have a water polo team while I was there. I think they eliminated it in the 80's or early 90's.

one of the brothers who taught us used to brag about how the team won a state title (or something) when he coached them. we laughed about it, but I didn't realize how brutal of a sport it can actually be.

I'm an old dude; I graduated from Pioneer in 1979.

There seems to be a water polo team now though.

We went to Birmingham, and as I remember it was Brother Rice, not Birmingham High.

Edit: Oh that link was for Brother Rice in Chicago!!!

Is Brother Rice in Bloomfield Hills now? And if so, has it always been? I thought Brother Rice was in Birmingham.

Anyway, it was one of those bougey schools in one of those hoity suburbs, either Birmingham, or Bloomfield Hills.

Last edited:
I'm an old dude; I graduated from Pioneer in 1979.

There seems to be a water polo team now though.

We went to Birmingham, and as I remember it was Brother Rice, not Birmingham High.

Edit: Oh that link was for Brother Rice in Chicago!!!

Is Brother Rice in Bloomfield Hills now? And if so, has it always been? I thought Brother Rice was in Birmingham.

Anyway, it was one of those bougey schools in one of those hoity suburbs, either Birmingham, or Bloomfield Hills.

well, I was asking KAWDUP if he actually played...

I guess it used to be considered "Birmingham Brother Rice" but the post office changed the mailing address at some point; the land it's on is technically Bloomfield Township, just outside of Birmingham's city limits. Bloomfield Township has two cities within it's boundaries: Bloomfield Hills, and Birmingham. subtle distinctions that may only matter to municipal government and local city planners, but they still exist.

but yeah, there's a Bro Rice in Chicago. it's on the South Side, and is a little more blue collar than the Michigan one. I try to distance myself from that one, because their students do dumb things, like this... link

LOL at everyone ignoring tsmith as he tries to participate in the discussion.

Uh oh, Yahoo! picked up an AP piece criticizing the "media" of overdoing it with the Romney bullying.

Here I'm not paying attention to cable media and miss a whole huge controversial story that is broken, apparently beaten into a bloody pulp all day long, and has now run its course.

I think I will stop paying attention to cable media from now until November.

Uh oh, Yahoo! picked up an AP piece criticizing the "media" of overdoing it with the Romney bullying.

Here I'm not paying attention to cable media and miss a whole huge controversial story that is broken, apparently beaten into a bloody pulp all day long, and has now run its course.

I think I will stop paying attention to cable media from now until November.

some commentators (who would be considered "extreme liberals" no less) have agreed the whole thing is silly, and has more to do with the media trying to re-kindle interest in the empty pageantry of the presidential election. Since all sorts of "real issues" are off the table, and not for public discussion, we're left with the puff pieces that reduce the presidential election to the level of a Reality TV show competition... "Boxers or Briefs," "Tough on Terror, or Super-Crazy Tough on Terror," or "Who Loves America More?" "Who would you rather have a beer with?"

I kinda wish Romney had actual military service so we could see the amusing spectacle of retards arguing that this made him "fit to serve as Commander in Chief," despite arguing the exact opposite in the two George W. Bush elections, like when GWB was up against a decorated veteran who actually served in Vietnam and saw combat (John Kerry) in '04...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back