Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Russell Okung

Denver got a good deal $5 mil first year with incentives goes to $8..then an option of 4yrs at $48mil

I have to imagine the Lions offered him more for the first year......but smartly, probably not nearly the amount Denver did for the following years.

Denver would regret picking up that option.....but the one year deal seems fair for both sides.

Denver got a good deal $5 mil first year with incentives goes to $8..then an option of 4yrs at $48mil

I wonder how many games for the incentives to kick in??? Gotta be a full season...

Last edited:
Smart deal. Potential franchise LT at 27 just turning 28? I'll say it again it is moves like that which make franchises consistent winners. Our guy struck out this time, but that happens to everyone at one time or another. It is having a smart back up plan that counts like the Steelers and Ryan Harris.

Smart deal. Potential franchise LT at 27 just turning 28? I'll say it again it is moves like that which make franchises consistent winners. Our guy struck out this time, but that happens to everyone at one time or another. It is having a smart back up plan that counts like the Steelers and Ryan Harris.

Okung will never see that money

Moves like what? DESPERATELY picking up a LT that's made out of paper mache and HOPING he doesn't get hurt? Yeah, the deal is smart but don't get ahead of yourself. The Broncos just lost Ryan Harris btw like you said and Clady is a question mark. This is a "hold your breath every time the ball is snapped" kinda move. I guess you can do that when you just won the SB though lol

Calling Okung a franchise LT (or a potential one) is quite a stretch. Unless franchise = slightly above average.

Then yes......he is a franchise LT.

Russell Okung finished as No. 24 OT via PFF. Was 49 in 2014, 42 in 2013, No. 10 in 2012.

That was BEFORE his shoulder surgery. And he cant play a full season.

Calling Okung a franchise LT (or a potential one) is quite a stretch. Unless franchise = slightly above average.

Then yes......he is a franchise LT.

Russell Okung finished as No. 24 OT via PFF. Was 49 in 2014, 42 in 2013, No. 10 in 2012.

That was BEFORE his shoulder surgery. And he cant play a full season.

Time will tell won't it. Elway thinks so, he's done alright.

Time will be the only thing to tell... But I'm leaning toward it being a great signing especially if they get more than 12 games out of him....

I don't understand how you guys aren't on board with getting a left tackle for 10 mil per year. Probably the 2nd most important positon in the game. 10 mil a yr for okung or clady?...where do i sign.

Not to mention. ...youre closing 2 holes with 1 signing with reiff going to rt. It's a bargain.

Last edited:
stafford-sack.jpg

I don't understand how you guys aren't on board with getting a left tackle for 10 mil per year. Probably the 2nd most important positon in the game. 10 mil a yr for okung or clady?...where do i sign.

Not to mention. ...youre closing 2 holes with 1 signing with reiff going to rt. It's a bargain.

I'd take Clady.......but not at $10M per.

I'm completely on board with a new LT. I've been on that bandwagon for months. Moving Reiff to the right side solves two problems. However......a LT at $10M per and a RT at $8M would probably give us the highest paid pair of T's in the league (not sure on that).

You're the "value" guru......how is Clady/Okung and Reiff good VALUE if they're the highest paid duo in the league?? Those combinations would be little more than above average talent wise.

That's awful VALUE.

At this point in the game, I'd take those spots being locked down to sacrifice a little value.

I'd take Clady.......but not at $10M per.

I'm completely on board with a new LT. I've been on that bandwagon for months. Moving Reiff to the right side solves two problems. However......a LT at $10M per and a RT at $8M would probably give us the highest paid pair of T's in the league (not sure on that).

You're the "value" guru......how is Clady/Okung and Reiff good VALUE if they're the highest paid duo in the league?? Those combinations would be little more than above average talent wise.

That's awful VALUE.

Reiff is 8 million if he is playing LT, RT, Backup or off the team. Would he be value at RT? No he would be a horrible value for a RT.

If Clady comes in and plays back at his probowl level at LT then his 9.5 million salary for LT, is on the high side, but would be fair value.

If Reiff plays at RT, then he is horrible value no matter if the LT makes 2 million or 10 million. If we keep Reiff at LT and he plays no better than Average is still poor value.

I don't think you can allow one poor value player to cause you to be afraid to make a move if you can fit it in your cap without sacrificing the future. Right now the Lions can.

Reiff is 8 million if he is playing LT, RT, Backup or off the team. Would he be value at RT? No he would be a horrible value for a RT.

If Clady comes in and plays back at his probowl level at LT then his 9.5 million salary for LT, is on the high side, but would be fair value.

If Reiff plays at RT, then he is horrible value no matter if the LT makes 2 million or 10 million. If we keep Reiff at LT and he plays no better than Average is still poor value.

I don't think you can allow one poor value player to cause you to be afraid to make a move if you can fit it in your cap without sacrificing the future. Right now the Lions can.

Listen, we're all on the same page here. We all want an upgrade at LT, RT,C......ect.... the disagreement is on how to do that.

We hold the 16th pick. I just do NOT see spending $10M+/year on a player like Clady or Okung who may never be more than a stop gap! For one year.....absolutely....sure. Spend it. Anything beyond that for a retread makes little sense.

I still think the best solution for the long term is to draft a LT......move Reiff to the right side......and extend Slay or Ansah and front load that contract. Nothing wrong with a 4 year extension for Ansah that will only have a cap hit of $10M in the last year instead of $20M because we back load it again.

Back