Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Rutgers' Best DB, Max Melton, Suspended

thewolverines24

https://twitter.com/sbell021/status/1440314522988728324

Scott Bell
@sbell021
Michigan?s running game has been so good that opposing teams are getting defensive backs arrested in hopes of getting Michigan to pass the ball more often.
@ChrisIseman
Rutgers' Chris Long, Max Melton have been suspended.
Greg Schiano statement: "I was informed that Chris Long and Malachi Melton were taken into police custody early this morning as a result of an incident involving a paint ball gun. Both players have been suspended immediately."

Max Melton and Chris Long suspended for arrest. Melton has 2 INTs, a fumble recovery, and a blocked punt through three games. Long hasn't played.

EDIT: Probably should have titled this as Rutger's most impactful DB. He's made huge plays for them this year, but might not be their best DB.

Last edited:
Ahhh, Mockery...the sincerest form of Flattery.

I appreciate you recognizing that I was correct. They passed for 191 in that first half, if a couple other near misses connect they would have had well over 200 in that half.

That long TD pass was dialed up specifically to take advantage of field position and potential to make a big splash in the passing game.

Thankfully they were smart in showcasing their willingness to integrate a potential 400 yard passing game, and only needed one half to do it in. The rest of the game was just giving backups the opportunity to get experience.

In the end, their 1st half was solid enough to show 5 star WRs they will have their opportunities...and it will be up to them to maximize those chances.

So Mock all you want, they did what I thought they would do, even though they did not need to do it for the entire game.

Last edited:
Did you know we've only passed for 400 or more yards in a game three (3) times in Michigan football history, going all the way back to 1879, or 142 years ?

Two of those times were accomplished by Devin Gardner in 2013 (@IU and vs. OSU); the other was Jake Rudock in 2015 @IU. We were 2-1 in those games, and the two wins were iffy. Suffice to say, if our QB is throwing for that many yards, it's not a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh, Mockery...the sincerest form of Flattery.

I appreciate you recognizing that I was correct. They passed for 191 in that first half, if a couple other near misses connect they would have had well over 200 in that half.

That long TD pass was dialed up specifically to take advantage of field position and potential to make a big splash in the passing game.

Thankfully they were smart in showcasing their willingness to integrate a potential 400 yard passing game, and only needed one half to do it in. The rest of the game was just giving backups the opportunity to get experience.

In the end, their 1st half was solid enough to show 5 star WRs they will have their opportunities...and it will be up to them to maximize those chances.

So Mock all you want, they did what I thought they would do, even though they did not need to do it for the entire game.

after that whole tantrum and hiatus you still seem pretty touchy. You should consider smoking weed.

Last edited:
Currently, two QBs in FBS are averaging 400 passing yds/game. 12 are averaging in the 300s.

The forward pass wasn't legalized in football until 1906, so the years before that shouldn't be counted against Michigan. If it had been legal before 1906 I am sure there would have been many more Michigan QBs with 400 yard passing games.

That is an amazing stat about DG. Michigan missed an opportunity with him. With a little development he could have been one of the great QBs in Michigan football history. Instead they try to make him into a receiver. What a fiasco!

Yeah, Gardner deserves a medal for playing hard in hopeless situations.

Hard to remember how close they came to beating osu that year he threw for over 400 against them. Didn't he do that on a broken foot as well?

To be fair to Hoke, I thought they only made DG a receiver because we didn't have enough of them, and they wanted to get both DG and Denard Robinson on the field at the same time. it seemed kinda reasonable at the time, but it did backfire when Denard got hurt, and Gardner hadn't been practicing at QB and couldn't swap roles

Hard to remember how close they came to beating osu that year he threw for over 400 against them. Didn't he do that on a broken foot as well?

To be fair to Hoke, I thought they only made DG a receiver because we didn't have enough of them, and they wanted to get both DG and Denard Robinson on the field at the same time. it seemed kinda reasonable at the time, but it did backfire when Denard got hurt, and Gardner hadn't been practicing at QB and couldn't swap roles

M ran a two-point conversion play out of the ?stick in the dirt? playbook that OSU knew was coming. Then, they played KSU in the bowl and ran a rather inventive two-point option-pass conversion that somehow was not considered against OSU.

M ran a two-point conversion play out of the ?stick in the dirt? playbook that OSU knew was coming. Then, they played KSU in the bowl and ran a rather inventive two-point option-pass conversion that somehow was not considered against OSU.

I think about that decision every time someone goes for two instead of a tie to force OT.

99 times out of 100, it seems like the road team goes for two because they "don't want to play OT in front of a hostile crowd."

you just shake your head remembering some of the things Brady Hoke did

I think about that decision every time someone goes for two instead of a tie to force OT.

99 times out of 100, it seems like the road team goes for two because they "don't want to play OT in front of a hostile crowd."

you just shake your head remembering some of the things Brady Hoke did

It would have been helpful if they didn't come out to run one play, have OSU call timeout, and then come out in the exact same formation to run the original play. Made no sense.

An incident with a paintball gun?

What the hell?

during halftime of our tourney game against LSU, I went for a run down the local boulevard outside my suburban neighborhood. On my return loop, some kids (I assume it was kids) slowed down and shot paintballs at me.

I didn't know what was happening, as I had headphones in, and heard some faint pops, but looked up and saw a paintball gun sticking out, and a piece of shit older BMW speeding away.

they missed me, but I had some small orange paint splatters on my Michigan shirt.

they all came off in the wash!

shooting paintballs at someone, then driving away is a chickenshit thing to do.

It would have been helpful if they didn't come out to run one play, have OSU call timeout, and then come out in the exact same formation to run the original play. Made no sense.

Hoke and Borges made it too easy for them. I remember the Buckeyes making themselves sound smart by saying "we knew what play they were going to run"... but that's like outsmarting the kids coming off the short bus and bragging about it.

during halftime of our tourney game against LSU, I went for a run down the local boulevard outside my suburban neighborhood. On my return loop, some kids (I assume it was kids) slowed down and shot paintballs at me.

I didn't know what was happening, as I had headphones in, and heard some faint pops, but looked up and saw a paintball gun sticking out, and a piece of shit older BMW speeding away.

they missed me, but I had some small orange paint splatters on my Michigan shirt.

they all came off in the wash!

shooting paintballs at someone, then driving away is a chickenshit thing to do.

Maybe it was something like that.

If they did that is real dumb ass.

In the case of adults, paintball guns are toys for people suffering from arrested development.

Did you know we've only passed for 400 or more yards in a game three (3) times in Michigan football history, going all the way back to 1879, or 142 years ?

Two of those times were accomplished by Devin Gardner in 2013 (@IU and vs. OSU); the other was Jake Rudock in 2015 @IU. We were 2-1 in those games, and the two wins were iffy. Suffice to say, if our QB is throwing for that many yards, it's not a good thing.

Well that is not a stat that will appear attractive to a 5 star WR, but I do appreciate sharing this info of which I am now enlightened.

It appears you are once again mistaking my comment as being something they needed to do in a different game. I was very specific that NIU was an opportunistic game to throw more, specifically at a pace that would produce a 400 yard game. That is what they did. You can continue to mock, deride, whatever...in the end, my analysis was shared by the coaches for that is what they went out and did in the 1st half.

They are wooing 5 and 4 star WRs, they needed to do what they did to show that those kids can come here and get the stats to be of interest when they enter the draft.

I will add that in the original post I said they needed at least 1 passing TD of 50+ yards.

Which they did.

I lived in Williams House (West Quad) 4th floor during my sophomore year and there was a bathroom window on the side of the house facing north. Someone got the great idea of stretching a bike tire inner tube (or some other elastic bad) across the window and shooting water balloons out the window. If you stretched the band enough, you could shoot the balloons over the north side of West Quad and into the plaza where the Administration Building and Cube are located. I don't recall anyone getting into any big trouble for it, but it was stopped pretty quickly. Williams had woman's and men's floors and the 4th floor was all male. These are the kinds of things that happen when a bunch of dumbasses start thinking.

Last edited:

Right, the idea was to get both Denard and Devin on the field at the same time. The problem was that Denard, while a very fast guy, was not an illusive runner and he was not very durable, so he took a lot of punishment when they played better teams that focused on stopping the run. And DG was not a receiver. I thought they should have put DG in as QB over Robinson and have Robinson play at running back or something. DG was much more durable that Robinson, and a good if not better passer than Robinson. But I think they were afraid Robinson would leave unless they had him as QB. Anyway, it didn't work. I don't remember DG making any big catches.

Back