Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Should have kept Prater

Had not seen that quote from DC before about going all in this season.

I do like that as the season has progressed players, particularly several guys brought in off the street, have shown growth.

And the coaching is not all DC. His assistants and the entire staff he brought in play a huge role in player development. Not one player has expressed a distaste for being in Detroit because the coaches have created a Player Positive environment. That is a complete 180 from Patricia who had players saying the environment was awful from the jump.

If Lions had brought in Holmes and DC instead of Quinn and Patricia, they would be a playoff team today with the roster that existed at that time and players being coached up instead of down. Yes, DC would still have made rookie coaching mistakes his first year, and several his second. Every coach has questionable moments. But I firmly believe that roster with different draft picks and FA decisions (including players WANTING to play for DC coming here instead of staying the fuck away from Patricia), yeah... I'm certain the Lions would be a playoff team today.

We would still have Stafford, Slay, and Diggs for sure as well as probably would have kept Golden Tate. Hell maybe even Calvin wouldn't have retired. It is tough to say for certain, but Quinn and Patricia might have been worse then Millen and his cast of coaches. Quinn and Patricia took a very talented team and turned it into one of the worst in the NFL whereas Millen didn't have nearly as much talent when he started here. Both failed miserably, but one at least started with more to work with.

We would still have Stafford, Slay, and Diggs for sure as well as probably would have kept Golden Tate. Hell maybe even Calvin wouldn't have retired. It is tough to say for certain, but Quinn and Patricia might have been worse then Millen and his cast of coaches. Quinn and Patricia took a very talented team and turned it into one of the worst in the NFL whereas Millen didn't have nearly as much talent when he started here. Both failed miserably, but one at least started with more to work with.

Millen took over a 2000 9-7 team that wasn't that good

Quinn took over in 2016 after a 7-9 2015 Lions squad that Calvin then retired from before playing a snap for Quinn. And they improved to 9-7 and 9-7 with Caldwell

Last edited:
Millen took over a 2000 9-7 team that wasn't that good

Quinn took over in 2016 after a 7-9 2015 Lions squad that Calvin then retired from before playing a snap for Quinn. And they improved to 9-7 and 9-7 with Caldwell

Meant if they took over the year Quinn got hired. Calvin played with Campbell maybe he could've persuaded him to stay on. As soon as Quinn got rid of Caldwell and got his and Patrcia's guys this team went downhill fast.

The coaching staff has lost ATLEAST 3 games as a winless organization. If the talent does improve to the point where we are competitive and say we're an 8 win team....did our coaching staff keep us from being an 11 win team? Its yet to be seen and theres a lot of BIG Ifs in there. But the decision making from the coaching staff has been my biggest take away from this year. I knew the talent was horrible. I knew Goff was horrible. Coaches being dumb were the biggest surprise for me.

The coaching staff has lost ATLEAST 3 games as a winless organization. If the talent does improve to the point where we are competitive and say we're an 8 win team....did our coaching staff keep us from being an 11 win team? Its yet to be seen and theres a lot of BIG Ifs in there. But the decision making from the coaching staff has been my biggest take away from this year. I knew the talent was horrible. I knew Goff was horrible. Coaches being dumb were the biggest surprise for me.

Really? So in your world Rookie coaches don't make boneheaded mistakes. Oookkkaaaayyyy.

What 3 games are you talking about?

What 3 games are you talking about?

Likely Ravens, Queens, and Steelers (yes, that was a tie... but let's be honest, Pittsburgh should have kicked that 50 yard FG to win... resulting in Lions being 1st team to lose 3 games by a 50+ yard FG in one season).

Last edited:
Maybe the coaching get's a pass but not the GM. And we're so far away from just being respectable. That's on him. He wanted his QB from LA, he decided to go with very inexperienced WR, he went back to back DL and so forth.

The only thing that is worth is the OL, if they can stay healthy, and the RB situation.

I see other 'new' coaches/GM try and win right away. Why do we get guys that always want to rebuild. And detroit1811, you say we could be a .500 team but at what cost? Isn't that the point of being a coach getting good right away? This isn't baseball or hockey with a ml system trading young prospects. What are they waiting for.

Last edited:
Maybe the coaching get's a pass but not the GM. And we're so far away from just being respectable. That's on him. He wanted his QB from LA, he decided to go with very inexperienced WR, he went back to back DL and so forth.

The only thing that is worth is the OL, if they can stay healthy, and the RB situation.

I see other 'new' coaches/GM try and win right away. Why do we get guys that always want to rebuild. And detroit1811, you say we could be a .500 team but at what cost? Isn't that the point of being a coach getting good right away? This isn't baseball or hockey with a ml system trading young prospects. What are they waiting for.

Build through the draft not free agency was Campbells point. And that takes time. Lions didnt have the money for fa splashes. Dts could develop into good players. Technicallt Levi is a de spot too given how he we run defense. Mcneil is a pure nose tackle. So we needed both especially given williams and hand gone and brockers not doing well

I think Campbell can learn from mistakes too. He at least admits them unlike Patricia. Ok with 0-8-1 vs 3-6. Probably better long term. Hence the risks in games. Wins do not matter this year

Goff plus two 1sts and Ife still the best. 1st and Bridgewater still worse. Bridgewater sucks but if he led us to 4-13 record we would be worse off than 0-8-1 Goff getting us Thibodeuax. Thank Goff for every Thibodeaux sack

Last edited:
Back