Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Smartest man in the world: I'm an atheist.

Michchamp

Link.
"El Mundo's Pablo Jauregui asked about those two references to God in one of the questions he prepared for Hawking to answer, and here's the scientist's response:
'Before we understand science, it is natural to believe that God created the universe. But now science offers a more convincing explanation. What I meant by 'we would know the mind of God' is, we would know everything that God would know, if there were a God, which there isn't. I'm an atheist.'"
well said, smart guy.

We'll wait to hear what the dumbest man (or men) in the world has/have to say about it though. I'm sure Fox News will give them more air time than they give to Hawking...

We'll wait to hear what the dumbest man (or men) in the world has/have to say about it though. I'm sure Fox News will give them more air time than they give to Hawking...

th

"If this Hawking guy were so smart, he wouldn't need a wheel chair to get around, and a computer to talk. Maybe we shouldn't listen to a guy who can't even crap in a toilet. Am I right!?!?"

th

"If this Hawking guy were so smart, he wouldn't need a wheel chair to get around, and a computer to talk. Maybe we shouldn't listen to a guy who can't even crap in a toilet. Am I right!?!?"

I would give 2 to 1 odds that he really didn't say that.

Actually...O'Reilly's real response...kind of make him sound like a pagan...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt5Xn9X6xtU

wow... I didn't know he actually had a response.

Newsflash for Bill: you don't even need someone as smart as Stephen Hawking to explain how the Earth was formed, why the Sun comes up and goes down, and what causes the tides to come in and go out... a grade school earth science student could do that...

then this...

"It's just as much of a stretch to be an atheist as it is to believe in god because there's no explanation of how the planet got here."

?!?!?!?!?!

presumably he's not that stupid. He's just pandering to his audience. Or maybe he is that stupid. either way... apparently a lot of Fox News viewers don't know basic facts about the goddamn planet they live on.

AND these geniuses can vote...

"Comments are disabled for this video."

Looks like Republicans have finally started learning a few lessons about how the internet works...

wow... I didn't know he actually had a response.

Newsflash for Bill: you don't even need someone as smart as Stephen Hawking to explain how the Earth was formed, why the Sun comes up and goes down, and what causes the tides to come in and go out... a grade school earth science student could do that...

It was as a grade school earth science student that I was first drawn towards paganism...

Actually...O'Reilly's real response...kind of make him sound like a pagan...

What. The. Fuck?

There's no explanation for how the earth got here or why there is a night/day? and the tide? WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!!? Read a science book. Turn the channel to the science channel. There are also thousands of youtube videos you can watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzRd4qzyS1c

And no, O'Reilly, Hawking did not make his money by being an atheist, you fucking idiot.

FACEPALM. :ashamed:

And no, O'Reilly, Hawking did not make his money by being an atheist, you fucking idiot.

FACEPALM. :ashamed:

I thought he was referring to Richard Dawkins, or maybe Hitchens.

neither of them made "their money" by being atheists, or at least both of them had made other contributions, Dawkins especially in evolutionary biology and anthropology, before they became known for writing about atheism. I guess both of them made some money by writing books about atheism, but I know O'Reilly is just pandering.

How is that idiot still going on about the tides? That has been an internet meme making fun of his stupid ass for years now, is he just that stubborn?

How is that idiot still going on about the tides? That has been an internet meme making fun of his stupid ass for years now, is he just that stubborn?

yeah but it hasn't hurt his ratings... his audience is just that senile.

'Before we understand science, it is natural to believe that God created the universe. But now science offers a more convincing explanation. What I meant by 'we would know the mind of God' is, we would know everything that God would know, if there were a God, which there isn't. I'm an atheist.'"

Science does NOT have all the answers though. IF we go with the premise God exists, science at this time should not be considered to even know or understand but a small fraction of what God knows, for God would actually be knowledgable in controlling things like subatomic particles and moving between all the different dimensions / faster than light / through time, let alone the ability to heal without penetrating the body or communicate everything in the entire universe in basically zero time.

Science is not even an infant in that scope, it is at such a beginning stage it could barely survive outside the womb. Granted it has moved past the point of absolutely not surviving outside the womb like back in the days of "space ether", alchemy, and even the heliocentric theory that placed the sun at the center of the universe.

Yes, science has come a very long way, but relative to what God knows (or what a god would know for the atheists on the board), we have a very long way to go. To believe otherwise is not recognizing facts like we still only know a fraction of what takes place in Earth's oceans, have not yet reached the Mantle, have not set foot on another planet, have yet to beat death, still have not effectively connected the human brain to computer chips other than in minimal ways, cannot control fusion reactions, and so many countless other things.

So to place human science on equal footing with the "mind of God" is to be extremely na?ve and full of one's self. Even atheists should grasp the knowledge gap better than what Hawking has, and I do respect Hawking a great deal.

Science does NOT have all the answers though. IF we go with the premise God exists, science at this time should not be considered to even know or understand but a small fraction of what God knows, for God would actually be knowledgable in controlling things like subatomic particles and moving between all the different dimensions / faster than light / through time, let alone the ability to heal without penetrating the body or communicate everything in the entire universe in basically zero time.

Science is not even an infant in that scope, it is at such a beginning stage it could barely survive outside the womb. Granted it has moved past the point of absolutely not surviving outside the womb like back in the days of "space ether", alchemy, and even the heliocentric theory that placed the sun at the center of the universe.

Yes, science has come a very long way, but relative to what God knows (or what a god would know for the atheists on the board), we have a very long way to go. To believe otherwise is not recognizing facts like we still only know a fraction of what takes place in Earth's oceans, have not yet reached the Mantle, have not set foot on another planet, have yet to beat death, still have not effectively connected the human brain to computer chips other than in minimal ways, cannot control fusion reactions, and so many countless other things.

So to place human science on equal footing with the "mind of God" is to be extremely na?ve and full of one's self. Even atheists should grasp the knowledge gap better than what Hawking has, and I do respect Hawking a great deal.

So, you're saying that since science doesn't know everything, you should automatically believe in God? That's like saying "since I don't know how my cell phone works, leprechauns must be providing magic."

What is more likely, that God waited almost 200,000 years into human existence to present himself to men who didn't have technology to give convincing evidence to future generations and neglected to tell them about the other half of the world or that there is no known god and science is the only way we'll ever discover more about the universe we live in?

I'd say the real arrogance here is believing a bronze age book has all the answers over a system that is designed to search for truth no matter what the outcome - even if it is proving itself wrong.

My roommate is your typical Fox republican, spoonfed bullshit each night. He tried to get me to watch it once since I was badmouthing it, sorry I have half of a brain and can think critically.

So, you're saying that since science doesn't know everything, you should automatically believe in God? That's like saying "since I don't know how my cell phone works, leprechauns must be providing magic."

What is more likely, that God waited almost 200,000 years into human existence to present himself to men who didn't have technology to give convincing evidence to future generations and neglected to tell them about the other half of the world or that there is no known god and science is the only way we'll ever discover more about the universe we live in?

I'd say the real arrogance here is believing a bronze age book has all the answers over a system that is designed to search for truth no matter what the outcome - even if it is proving itself wrong.

No, no, no. I'm not saying that. Chillax and re-read my post.

I was saying Hawking is giving Science way too much credit for "knowing everything" which is the theological level of intelligence of God based on the "God knows all". Relative to knowing everything, Science is way too young to proclaim, as Hawking does, that Science knows the equivalence of the Mind of God.

One other point that is escaping people here is that Hawking being called the smartest man in the world does not mean he is the smartest man. He is one of many brilliant minds with extremely high IQs. He is a master of Physics and Math. However, my guess is he doesn't know an astounding amount of information, and it is quite possible others actually know more than him in terms of quantifiable info or bits of data. So "smartest" is a very relative label to apply, much like most beautiful woman. It is subject to objectivity and personal preference as to individual points of interest.

Not to mention intelligence is not the equivalence of wisdom...just ask anyone who ever played DnD.

Science does NOT have all the answers though.

this is a misguided line of reasoning (if you can even call it that). Science isn't supposed to have "answers." science is just a method of testing hypotheses, and investigating existing phenomena.

and by the way... as a method of explaining the physical laws of the universe (and there are no other kind) science works. religion doesn't.

IF we go with the premise God exists, science at this time should not be considered to even know or understand but a small fraction of what God knows. ...

what if we go with the premise that your Hebrew god doesn't exist? And can you explain the basis for the statement that science should be "considered" in its infancy? Whatever that means...

Back