Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

So who else is very happy with the new power structure?

detroit1811

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I am honestly very excited about the hires they made. From Chris Spielman, to Anthony Lynn I can honestly say there wasn't a hire truly dislike. Campbells biggest knock was his lack of experience calling plays and he wasn't a big X's and O's guy. So what do they do hire an experienced OC who at least Seattle wanted to hire. He also has spent the last four years as a HC and will be a solid sounding board for Campbell. He choose us over a chance to work with Russell Wilson, that means something. They hire a young up and coming DC who had two other offers, including one to work with Chicago who has much more defensive talent. He choose the team that had the worst defense in franchise history last year. They hire a first time GM who seems to be a very good talent evaluator, but lacks experience. So what do they do they hire a two time former GM in John Dorsey who is one of the best talent evaluators in the business. I love the fact that they have Mike Disner handling the cap and other guys handling the day to day stuff that a GM doesn't need to focus on.

I know this is a bit of a rant, but I really do like changes they made, more then any in a long time. Obviously we haven't won anything yet, but I am optimistic for the future for the first time in awhile. I know this isn't gonna be a quick turnaround, but I'm willing to sacrifice a year or two if it means we can finally build something here.

I like it so far in that I won't shit on them. Time for hope and optimism. Not sure what Spielman is doing but I do like the hires at coordinator.

And nobody has power. Dorsey, Holmes, Campbell will bicker for players..then wood or spielman can get pissed about it

And nobody has power. Dorsey, Holmes, Campbell will bicker for players..then wood or spielman can get pissed about it

How do you know that? They should be discussed but Holmes should be the final decision.

It's amazing how negative you get as soon as the Stafford stuff came out. If that news never broke today you would have a completely different opinion. It was time to move on from Stafford. Has nothing to do with Stafford the QB, and everything to do with where we are at as a franchise, besides Stafford was the one who asked for a trade.

I love it I think they have a very good mix of experience and youth, and I personally enjoyed the Dan Campbell press conference. I know he was a little over the top, but I want that. I'm sick of the Caldwells, and Patricia's. I want a coach who tells it like it is. To me Campbell is the leader we need at HC and let the coordinators do their thing. I don't know Campbell just seemed very genuine to me. He wants to make this team a winner just as bad as we want it. Something about that just resonates with me.

Does that mean we have finally found the right guys to run the show? no it doesn't they now gotta go prove it, but the early signs are promising IMO.

Its a bad structure with nobody with power. Too maby cooks in the kitchen already

Nothing to do with Stafford..he made the call to leave..cant credit these guys for that..same thing happened to quinn with calvin

Its a bad structure with nobody with power. Too maby cooks in the kitchen already

Nothing to do with Stafford..he made the call to leave..cant credit these guys for that..same thing happened to quinn with calvin

Holmed and Campbell have the power that already been stated. You can hire a former GM who works under the current GM. You can hire a former HC who works under the current HC. I think the power structure is pretty clear. Holmes and Campbell will share final say on all roster decision. I'm sure Campbell will have more final say in the 53 since hes the coach and Holmes will have a stronger voice when it comes to the draft since he is the talent evaluator, but they will work together on it. The other guys are just support.

And Spielman and Dorsey. They could all not be on same page. It will cause problems especially when loaing first 2 to 3 years. Even more when they pick a shitty qb. No qb developers on this roster

And Spielman and Dorsey. They could all not be on same page. It will cause problems especially when loaing first 2 to 3 years. Even more when they pick a shitty qb. No qb developers on this roster

I'm pretty sure Speilman doesn't have a say in anything related to players.

Spielman is just there as a sounding board that is it. He even said as much. Listen to Campbells press conference he said Spielman was already asked him if there is anything HE needs. Spielman doesn't have final say he will have. He will obviously have input, just like any coach or scout would, and obviously his input will carry a little more weight then just a regular scout or position coach. With that said thats all it is an opinion. Same with Dorsey he is brought in to ASSIST Holmes. How is it any different then when any former GM gets hired to not be a GM anymore?

Dorsey is an asshat too. Too many voices will cause problems. And no qb developers on the staff

Will see what happens. Have to prove it like every org

First order to get most can for staffords..two 1sts at least or a failure

https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy.com/sports/detroit-lions/john-dorsey-front-office-ray-agnew/amp/

Why John Dorsey Makes Sense For Lions

Detroit could be the perfect landing spot for Dorsey, 60, considering he is a veteran football mind and someone who can evaluate talent quite well. That much has been proven true through the years in the executive?s previous stops.

Dorsey has had a hand in building a trio of Super Bowl champions and has his fingerprints all over two of the most exciting teams 2020 has to offer. He started his career with the Green Bay Packers, where he worked in scouting development for the Super Bowl XXXI champions and served as director of football operations for the roster that won Super Bowl XLV.

From there he was hired as Kansas City?s general manager, where he secured QB Patrick Mahomes, TE Travis Kelce and WR Tyreek Hill via the NFL Draft, all of whom eventually delivered last season?s Super Bowl LIV title after Dorsey was gone. Following his exit there in June 2017, he joined the Browns as general manager, presiding over the decisions to draft QB Baker Mayfield, DB Denzel Ward, RB Nick Chubb and others and trading for key players such as WR Jarvis Landry.

Dorsey?s personality might rub some the wrong way, but he doesn?t have to be everyone?s best friend. All Dorsey has to do is bring in the right players and be allowed to make decisions for the betterment of the franchise. The Lions need plenty of players to turn things around if they?re going to change their trajectory for the better, and Dorsey could deliver those results.

Getting Holmes this big-name help could be a big boost for the franchisee at the perfect time and help aid in Detroit?s rebuild.

Miracles do happen ...i agree with lkp. Why do we hire a gm that needs 3 assistants. Just hire pioli or dmitroff and let them do it all? This is dumb.

Miracles do happen ...i agree with lkp. Why do we hire a gm that needs 3 assistants. Just hire pioli or dmitroff and let them do it all? This is dumb.

Why not surround them with the best help possible? Whatever money they are getting isn?t coming out of our pockets and obviously doesn?t affect the cap so where?s the downside?

Doubt that all three assistants will still be with the Lions for more than 2 or 3 years, maybe just 2 left by '22.

The downside is too many cooks in kitchen..dysfunction disagreement and then anger by one party if we lose

Anyone who believes that the Lions will be fielding a winning team in '21 or '22 with a new regime and starting QB is dreaming. Even the vaunted Belichick has found out that replacing his so-called "system QB" with the "next man up" isn't at all the case this time.

There are rumors swirling in SF that the 49ers may cut Garoppolo and trade for Stafford, opening the door for a Patriot reunion with their former BU QB.

Back