Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Sources: NCAA investigating Michigan football for alleged rule violations related to

This is as laughable as the cheeseburger violation. "Sign stealing" would be pretty risky given that if the signs were changed you could give up big plays. It's all just too stupid! Clearly an attempt to punish Harbaugh for not kowtowing. NCAA needs to be cleaned out.

Jim's statement. Honestly more than I expected considering the whole "can't speak publicly" thing.

I want to make it clear that I, and my staff, will fully cooperate with the investigation into this matter.

I do not have any knowledge or information regarding the University of Michigan football program illegally stealing signals, nor have I directed any staff member or others to participate in an off-campus scouting assignment. I have no awareness of anyone on our staff having done that or having directed that action.

I do not condone or tolerate anyone doing anything illegal or against NCAA rules.

No matter what program or organization that I have led throughout my career, my instructions and awareness of how we scout opponents have always been firmly within the rules.

Pursuant to NCAA rules, I will not be able to comment further while this investigation takes place.

Remember this story? Granted it was almost three decades ago now, but I don't remember anyone complaining or thinking NW did anything wrong...

Remember this story? Granted it was almost three decades ago now, but I don't remember anyone complaining or thinking NW did anything wrong...

that article says NW figured out the signals during the game. That's not live-scouting or using a recording device. You don't remember anyone thinking NW did anything wrong because they didn't.

Remember, before the rule change, when Northwestern beat us in that high scoring game where Thomas fumbled. They waited for the defense to get in formation then they would change theirs to a totally different formation and substitute with a few seconds left on the play clock? The defense never knew what play was coming. That game popped in my head as I read it.

Reading every comment section where this story is published is gold. Most people are smart and think this is more stupid bullshit, even the Michigan haters. The whole game of football is to guess what the other team is running. Thats why coaches say execution matters, because if something is executed correctly, the play should work even if you know whats coming. How about that Wisconsin game, back in the days of heartbreak, when they ran the same play over and over again and crapped all over us. This makes no sense.

Just wait for it to play out. I wouldn't but all over Day, Franklin or anyone else based on what we have heard now. We're most likely not going to get any updates on this for at least 3 months (the NCAA has 90 days to share their findings with the school) and even then there's still a good probability that this amounts to nothing.

I can't help you with your feelings towards Jim looking at the NFL. Mainly because I wouldn't fault anyone who looked for different employment after having their pay cut in half and very publicly being told that their employer had lost faith in them. What I will ask is who you would like to see replace Jim that is going to continue the success of the program?

Oh, and the loss to TCU was because we spotted them 14 points, took 7 away from ourselves then had the refs take another 7. Pretty hard to overcome 28 points and knowing signs ain't changing that.

Michigan also took those seven points away from themselves. First and goal on the one, you don?t fumble, you punch it in for touchdown.

I?m still fucking pissed off.

That said, if Harbaugh tells Michigan to fuck off - just read the shit peons on this board post - I get it.

Michigan nation is shit.

RichRod wasn?t wrong.

Get a fuckin? life.

If it happened; it happened. If it didn't, it didn't. Ain't my problem.

Just wait for it to play out. I wouldn't but all over Day, Franklin or anyone else based on what we have heard now. We're most likely not going to get any updates on this for at least 3 months (the NCAA has 90 days to share their findings with the school) and even then there's still a good probability that this amounts to nothing.

I can't help you with your feelings towards Jim looking at the NFL. Mainly because I wouldn't fault anyone who looked for different employment after having their pay cut in half and very publicly being told that their employer had lost faith in them. What I will ask is who you would like to see replace Jim that is going to continue the success of the program?

Oh, and the loss to TCU was because we spotted them 14 points, took 7 away from ourselves then had the refs take another 7. Pretty hard to overcome 28 points and knowing signs ain't changing that.

Nice selective memory and revisionist history on that TCU game. uofm was down 15 at half with 2 of 3 TCU scores coming from long sustained drivew of 12 & 10 plays. Sure JJ threw a dumbass pick, but give TCU's d some credit - they held uofm to 2 FGs and had a pick 6. And their offense - they moved the ball. It was 2-1 in turnovers in favor of TCU at half but uofm only had 2 FGs vs. 3 TDs for TCU

Then uofm got their first TD off a turnover at the TCU 45 to get back within two scores.

Then they got their third TD off another TCU turnover deep in TCU territory to get within a FG.

That's 2 turnovers converted to TDs for both teams. TCU scored 7 TDs, 5 of them on drives of 75 or more yards. uofm lost that game, points off turnovers were even, they didn't hand it to anyone.

Last edited:
this article makes it sound it probably happened. The guy in question seems to be the type to do anything to get close to the program.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-center-elaborate-scouting-scheme-sources-say

Pete Thamel jerks off Urban Meyer/OSU at every chance. Anything he says needs to be viewed through that lens. That article is full of more conjecture and insinuations than the Yahoo article and provides nothing to support any of their claims. Don't read ESPN, they're the CNN of sports "journalism".

Nice selective memory and revisionist history on that TCU game. uofm was down 15 at half with 2 of 3 TCU scores coming from long sustained drivew of 12 & 10 plays. Sure JJ threw a dumbass pick, but give TCU's d some crfedit - and their offense. It was 2-1 in turnovers in favor of TCU but uofm only had 2 FGs vs. 3 TDs

Then uofm got their first TD off another turnover at the TCU 45 to get back within two scores.

Then they got their third TD off another TCU turnover deep in TCU territory to get within a FG.

That's 2 turnovers converted to TDs for both teams. TCU scored 7 TDs, 5 of them on drives of 75 or more yards. uofm lost that game, points off turnovers were even, they didn't hand it to anyone.

1. Philly special on the 2
2. Blown assignment by Mullings on philly special on the 2
3. 2 pick-sixes
4. Fumble on goal line

The defense gave up 37 points, held Duggan to 225 yards passing at 50% completion percentage and (as you mentioned) forced 3 turnovers. Sure, they gave up 5 TDs but they also did enough to win if the offense hadn't spotted TCU 14 points.

The offense left, at minimum, 6 points on the field. It would be fair to say 10 if you take the field goal on the first drive and don't fumble after the egregious replay overturn of Roman's TD.

If any 1 of those things don't happen Michigan wins that game. If 2 don't happen they win it easily. If none of them happen they win by 3+ scores. Literally everyone who watched that game with the exception of TCU, MSU and OSU fans know that Michigan gave away a game they should've won. Don't @ me with your moronic takes anymore.

Pete Thamel jerks off Urban Meyer/OSU at every chance. Anything he says needs to be viewed through that lens. That article is full of more conjecture and insinuations than the Yahoo article and provides nothing to support any of their claims. Don't read ESPN, they're the CNN of sports "journalism".

See, it's not just me saying it to say it. This guy is definitely a Michigan homer (he does some writing for MGoBlow) but the Thamel/OSU connection is pretty well-known.

https://twitter.com/internetraj/status/1715354817621807514?s=46&t=nXMpLyAWIg5aV6xl2Vvu_w

Last edited:
1. Philly special on the 2
2. Blown assignment by Mullings on philly special on the 2
3. 2 pick-sixes
4. Fumble on goal line

The defense gave up 37 points, held Duggan to 225 yards passing at 50% completion percentage and (as you mentioned) forced 3 turnovers. Sure, they gave up 5 TDs but they also did enough to win if the offense hadn't spotted TCU 14 points.

The offense left, at minimum, 6 points on the field. It would be fair to say 10 if you take the field goal on the first drive and don't fumble after the egregious replay overturn of Roman's TD.

If any 1 of those things don't happen Michigan wins that game. If 2 don't happen they win it easily. If none of them happen they win by 3+ scores. Literally everyone who watched that game with the exception of TCU, MSU and OSU fans know that Michigan gave away a game they should've won. Don't @ me with your moronic takes anymore.

You kind of sound like an OSU fan that says they should have won against GA. If you give away the game, you still deserve to lose.

Literally, KTLA Los Angeles - I?m not kidding, I just woke up to this - mocked this and made fun of this.

?Scouting future opponents to steal their signs??

For the love of Beelzebub.

This all amounts to nothing. Earlier yesterday the story was basically Harbaugh was employing a network of people to go to games, watch the other teams, and steal signals. It was so bad that MSU considered not playing this weekend's game out of concern for safety of their players. (clutch those pearls!)

Roughly 12 hours later, the story is that a low-level staffer in the recruiting department watches videos of opponents. Now the NCAA wants access to his computer, which they have no right, to determine if there is any truth to the allegations of the two teams we blew out earlier in the year.

Last edited:
You kind of sound like an OSU fan that says they should have won against GA. If you give away the game, you still deserve to lose.

I never said they didn't DESERVE to lose. They absolutely deserved to lose. They deserved it because JJ was popping off about "Oh if they stay in that 3-3-5 they're in for a long day" and the entire team overlooked their opponent, which was a huge departure from what got them to that point.

What I said was they SHOULD not have lost because they were the better team and they have nobody to blame but themselves for losing. If they had executed their game there's no way that team beats them.

From ESPN:

"Around Michigan's football building, Stalions is known to technically work in the recruiting department under director of recruiting Albert Karschnia. But a source said it was known in the building that he spent much of his time deciphering opponents' signals, often watching television copies of opponents' games. On Stalions' Instagram page, there are photos of him on the sideline next to two of Michigan's former defensive playcallers, Don Brown and Mike Macdonald.

Oh my god! He watched TV copies of games?!!! The horror and the absolutely no breaking of any rule there!

Call your children and make sure they are ok.

This all amounts to nothing. Earlier yesterday the story was basically Harbaugh was employing a network of people to go to games, watch the other teams, and steal signals. It was so bad that MSU considered not playing this weekend's game out of concern for safety of their players. (clutch those pearls!)

Roughly 12 hours later, the story is that a low-level staffer in the recruiting department watches videos of opponents. Now the NCAA wants access to his computer, which they have no right, to determine if there is any truth to the allegations of the two teams we blew out earlier in the year.

None of it adds up. It went from "vast network of spies" to 1 low-level staffer. They also say "as far back as 2021" when said staffer was hired in 2022. I've also read/heard the MSU not playing bit was not true but I can't seem to find who or where it was debunked.

Regarding the request for dude's computer what I've been able to gather from unreliable sources is that while the NCAA does not have subpoena power and Michigan can certainly tell them no on providing the computer, that essentially constitues failure to cooperate and removes appeal protections etc. Michigan has no choice but to cooperate but they could always pull the Hillary/Tom Brady/Urban Meyer job and physically destroy the guy's computer.

Also, I think it's hysterical that they're trying to make out the "watches TV copies trying to steal signs". Well no shit. Y'all brought all this on yourselves with these massive media deals. I can go watch every football game that's been aired this year on demand so for about $50/month every program can have access to the same. That's not illegal and I would be willing to bet money that every program in the country does the same thing so there's zero competitive advantage being gained.

None of it adds up. It went from "vast network of spies" to 1 low-level staffer. They also say "as far back as 2021" when said staffer was hired in 2022. I've also read/heard the MSU not playing bit was not true but I can't seem to find who or where it was debunked.

Regarding the request for dude's computer what I've been able to gather from unreliable sources is that while the NCAA does not have subpoena power and Michigan can certainly tell them no on providing the computer, that essentially constitues failure to cooperate and removes appeal protections etc. Michigan has no choice but to cooperate but they could always pull the Hillary/Tom Brady/Urban Meyer job and physically destroy the guy's computer.

Also, I think it's hysterical that they're trying to make out the "watches TV copies trying to steal signs". Well no shit. Y'all brought all this on yourselves with these massive media deals. I can go watch every football game that's been aired this year on demand so for about $50/month every program can have access to the same. That's not illegal and I would be willing to bet money that every program in the country does the same thing so there's zero competitive advantage being gained.

Sidebar - Brady destroyed his phone because the NFL was already leaking personal info. They had already leaked benign info about shit like pool cleanings. If I had a supermodel wife, that phone would definitely be microwaved and then crushed into 10,000 pieces as soon as there was a hint of personal info being leaked. (I don't have a supermodel/celeb wife and I still destroy all my old phones when getting a new one.)

Not that it mattered anyway considering "Deflategate" was debunked by 20+ physics professors across the country.

Back