Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Star Trek

Yeah, I know. Same effects and camera angles are used in all his movies/TV shows.

It's overly gimmicky, and cheap looking.

For me, I don't get all the 3D hype. It still is far from perfect and adds little relative to the higher cost of the ticket. I'd just as soon watch movies without 3D.

As an example, let's say there is a scene where the character(s) walk by a tree. Does that tree look round or flat? To me they still look relatively flat. I personally think this is mostly due to the cameras only being able to create 3D depth around what they are purposefully making 3D and the peripheral things become flat, whereas eyes still are able to maintain a degree of depth with peripheral vision. Couple that with the screen not being able to wrap around us in a more submersive fashion and it becomes - as you said - very gimmicky and cheap looking. I've noticed times when the green screen shots also cause actors to have an odd fuzziness around their edges at times.

These are some of the reasons I've avoided 3D TVs. The technology is very infantile, but maybe they can improve on it when 4k TVs become more the norm, or maybe 4k glasses so you get more of a wrap around peripheral that will help with the submersion. It might be interesting to see a 3D movie that is in a 360, or even 180, theater. Maybe that would help.

All that aside, I still liked much of the dialogue and plot Into Darkness. They've obviously set it up for future installments so we will see how this version progresses. I'm hoping they go more and more off a new script and new characters where they only do cameos and small bits from the previous Star Treks. Too much and it can become stale or the audience expects something very different from the actor portraying the newer version of the character (that is likely what many have or will have issue with in this current version...too much of a difference between the older version and this one in terms of who was portraying the villain, wrong look, wrong accent, etc.), whereas with small bits it can be a nice nod to the prior works.

I thought it was excellent.

...and I watched in 2D. Not a big fan of 3D. 3D won't feel right until it's holographic.

I thought it was excellent.

...and I watched in 2D. Not a big fan of 3D. 3D won't feel right until it's holographic.

Super high quality(not low quality like star wars does) holographic sports events would be awesome! Too bad that level of tech is so far away, but maybe it will happen eventually.

Super high quality(not low quality like star wars does) holographic sports events would be awesome! Too bad that level of tech is so far away, but maybe it will happen eventually.

It doesn't seem like it should be that difficult. I'm not talking about 3D object floating in space like in Star Wars. It would be a flat screen and the 3D effect would be limited to the screen having depth. (Actually, things jumping out of the screen might be possible for low angles, but I'm not sure how you'd film it.) You'd need a camera like the light field camera by Lytro to capture video. The display might be tricky. You'd need coherent light (big expensive lasers) and you might need a small lens over each pixel, I'm not sure. It would be very expensive to build a prototype, but I don't think it requires any new technology to be invented other than manufacturing methods to reduce cost.

You'd also need a spatial light modulator, but I think modern projectors already have those.

I really liked it... Did not see it in 3d and tend to stay away from 3d if I can... I wish they would do new story's though instead of rehashing old story lines... if they are going to bring any villains back the Borg would be the most fun..

Back