Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stupid Tigers Trade Porcello for Cespedes + trade Suarez for Simple Simon from reds

Last year, Cespedes had a .775 OPS when he started in LF. He struggled offensively as a DH and in any other position but LF. People want to say he's regressing, but overall he was actually better in 2014 than he was in '13. Remember, his '13 seasonw as pretty injury riddled. He did okay in Oakland last year before the trade, and then fell apart in Boston(as did everyone else on that team last year). I'll take a .775 OPS when he's only getting on base at a .300 clip.. because that means he's supplying some pretty good power. Hitting behind Miggy and Vmart would be perfect for him.

I understand. He's still not worth a number 3 SP.

the problem is nobody knows what the Tigers could get for Porcello. Maybe there were no better offers out there. It certainly doesn't appear that there are a ton of corner OF on the trade market. Trying to determine the value of a pitcher compared to an every day player is very difficult. Some people like WAR. I kind of like it as well. Porcello had a 4.0 WAR...Cepedes had a 4.1 WAR. If you are a believer in that stat they are very comparable. Some people like the WAA stat. Cepedes had a +1.9 and Porcello had a +2.9 which means Porcello was better in that category.

Lighten the mood....

Phil Coke: The Mets have had preliminary discussions with the free agent reliever, tweets Jon Morosi of FoxSports.com.

Lighten the mood....

Phil Coke: The Mets have had preliminary discussions with the free agent reliever, tweets Jon Morosi of FoxSports.com.

Thanks.

After todays events I needed a good LOL

Nobody is debating that.

You're right, they were debating his viability as a starter in general. I'm a Reds fan and I've watched him for the last 3 years, he's a good pitcher and if he's your number 5 then you're doing pretty well.

Didn't read this thread but i'm sure it's full of the same usual posters whining about every deal the Tigers make, and probably some posts about how Cespedes sucks because of his low OBP.

just glad the Tigers got rid of that fraud Porcello, who showed his true colors his last 6 starts, good chance he just had his best season he'll ever have in his career. good riddance. I hope Alice Avila is next to go.

Last edited:
You're right, they were debating his viability as a starter in general. I'm a Reds fan and I've watched him for the last 3 years, he's a good pitcher and if he's your number 5 then you're doing pretty well.

Seemed to me they were comparing him to Porcello. What we gained vs. what we lost.

Dont try to reason with these idiots on here . This board is notoriously full of posters that just whine and complain about everything .

Didn't read this thread but i'm sure it's full of the same usual posters whining about every deal the Tigers make, and probably some posts about how Cespedes sucks because of his low OBP.

just glad the Tigers got rid of that fraud Porcello, who showed his true colors his last 6 starts, good chance he just had his best season he'll ever have in his career. good riddance.

LOL you are exactly right , i dont know why i even wasted my time in this thread . Should have expected to read what i did .

Yesterday-ish

1. Davis/Gose CF
2. Kinsler 2B
3. Miggy 1B
4. VMart DH
5. JD RF
6. Nick C 3B
7. Avila C
8. Collins????? LF
9. Iggy SS

Today(how i'd like to see it work out at least)

1. Kinsler
2. JD
3. Miggy
4. VMart
5. Cespedes
6. Nick C
7. Avila
8. Iggy
9. Davis/Gose

Getting that new lineup was the cost of going from Porcello to Simon as our 4th starter and we also picked up a BP arm.

Why again are many of you bitching?

just glad the Tigers got rid of that fraud Porcello, who showed his true colors his last 6 starts, good chance he just had his best season he'll ever have in his career. good riddance.

Yup, you can pretty much assume that the same group will bitch if there was a deal.

I don't agree about Rick though. I liked him. He'll never be a top end starter, but he's not horrible. He's a solid 3 in my opinion.

Yesterday-ish

1. Davis/Gose CF
2. Kinsler 2B
3. Miggy 1B
4. VMart DH
5. JD RF
6. Nick C 3B
7. Avila C
8. Collins????? LF
9. Iggy SS

Today(how i'd like to see it work out at least)

1. Kinsler
2. JD
3. Miggy
4. VMart
5. Cespedes
6. Nick C
7. Avila
8. Iggy
9. Davis/Gose

Getting that new lineup was the cost of going from Porcello to Simon as our 4th starter and we also picked up a BP arm.

Why again are many of you bitching?

Good question. I don't trust Simon completely, but our rotation was our strength to begin with. It's still entirely possible that we add a SP, maybe even Scherzer. We downgraded slightly at NUMBER 4 pitcher, and gained an upgrade offensively to what we had last year. .300 OBP or not, I'll take 20+ HR and 100 RBI behind Miguel and Vmart. We don't need our 5-hole hitter to be on base a lot, because there isn't anyone below him that would really be able to drive him in anyway. We'd have at least 3 hitters in front of him who get on base at an acceptable-to-great rate.

I really like the deals we made. Porcello is and will be a good #3 in most rotations. So we traded a #3 for a #4 starting pitcher and picked up Cespesdes and prospects.

Sounds great. Love having a strong defensive outfielder with lots of upside.

Yup, you can pretty much assume that the same group will bitch if there was a deal.

I don't agree about Rick though. I liked him. He'll never be a top end starter, but he's not horrible. He's a solid 3 in my opinion.

I like Porcello too , he went to highschool about 20 minutes from where i lived in NJ so i heard alot about him . He never really grew into the pitcher he was projected to be . I like him even more now that he got us Cespedes . Theres no way you could justify paying Porcello 75 million for 5 years , and thats pry low considering Boras is his agent .

Last edited:
I like Porcello too , he went to highschool about 20 minutes from where i lived in NJ so i heard alot about him . He never really grew into the pitcher he was projected to be . I like him even more now that he got us Cespedes . Theres no way you could justify paying Porcello 75 million for 5 years , and thats pry low considering Boras is his agent .

He came up pretty young though. 20 I believe. He regressed after his strong rookie year, but was able to start figuring things out. That says a lot about him to me.

Plus he whooped Youk's ass!!

Rick is one of the worst pitchers in terms of in-game adjustments. He just can't do it.. he'll throw the same shit over and over again regardless of the outcome. He'd have 2 great starts and then an automatic loss while giving up 8 runs. Too inconsistent and never had a put-away pitch. Always has to rely on defense to get him out of jams.. He'll never be more than a number 3 or 4 starter because of that.

.675 OPS and 16 HR's for Cespool this season..

And to answer the other question Porcello is a better value over Simon. And 8 years younger..

Rick is one of the worst pitchers in terms of in-game adjustments. He just can't do it.. he'll throw the same shit over and over again regardless of the outcome. He'd have 2 great starts and then an automatic loss while giving up 8 runs. Too inconsistent and never had a put-away pitch. Always has to rely on defense to get him out of jams.. He'll never be more than a number 3 or 4 starter because of that.

and this is exactly why we should be thrilled that we were able to get someone like cespedes for him .

Back