Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The 2021 NFL Draft

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021...it-lions-lb-derrick-barnes-college-highlights

Derek Barnes highlights. I'm excited about this guy as much as Sewell and St. Brown

Says the guy that said Chris Greenwood was the next Richard Sherman.....Tavai would be "good" this year because of "2nd year improvement"......Ebron was the right pick and every year says how "holeless" we are and that our basement is 10 wins and a deep playoff run.

I'll reserve my judgement until I see him play......but i put as much stock in your player evaluation talents as I would put in proper dating etiquette from Ben Roethlesburger.

Says the guy that said Chris Greenwood was the next Richard Sherman.....Tavai would be "good" this year because of "2nd year improvement"......Ebron was the right pick and every year says how "holeless" we are and that our basement is 10 wins and a deep playoff run.

I'll reserve my judgement until I see him play......but i put as much stock in your player evaluation talents as I would put in proper dating etiquette from Ben Roethlesburger.

His Bible PFF just ranked Goff 26 out of 32.

First one I never said. Could become but never did and drew parallels to 5th round picks. Clearly you had reading comprehension issues there or poor memory
Saying Improved is not the same as good for Tavai

Ebron made a lot of logical sense given the need, his rankings over OBJ and Donald by most draft boards, signing Golden Tate and having Suh/Fairley on the roster with hopes of resigning one or both of them. Hindsight saying yeah we should have just drafted Donald is dumb.

Holeless going into season becomes holes with injuries. Other teams are good too and holeless teams can be beat, especially if refs are making costly mistakes too or bad coaching

Lions have had some good teams make the playoffs in the Stafford era and some good teams that should of and some flat out disappointing teams from August to January (2012/2013, Patricia era) for various reasons (coaching, injuries, refs, good talent not performing to their potential, other teams just being really good too and outperforming on those Sundays)

And just because you don't trust mine, doesn't make you right. I back everything I say with various reasons as you can see

Football has many factors. Not just is the guy talented or not.

Last edited:
he only refers to it as the bible if their grades agree with him. If they don't he will tell you that PFF doesn't know what they are doing.:cheers:

That's about right for Goff based on his play last 2 seasons. Goff had some good support in 2020 and had some problems, way less support in 2019 though. 2017/2018 he had really good support too and had 100 QB ratings.

Let's see if Lions can build him a team so he can succeed and also if Lynn, Brunell and company can help him improve as a player. Experience typically helps at QB too. 2021 most likely rough we all know that. Gonna need some great health and that Oline to be top 5 with a good running with it.

Holmes helped build the Rams team around Goff. Can he do it again?

His Bible PFF just ranked Goff 26 out of 32.

And Staffs 11. Which might seem good but people think he's elite and even more so after being traded yet 11 is not elite. End of the day it's PFF. Kind of reminds me of the WAR stat in baseball, it has flaws.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-shifting-to-outside-linebacker-in-lions-3-4/

Taking Onwuzurike and McNeil make a ton of sense if flowers and okwara are the olbs
https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021...ies-roles-trey-flowers-levi-onwuzurike-scheme

On Flowers:

?We?re going to be a 3-4 out of base where he?s playing the outside linebacker spot,? Wash said bluntly.

On Onwuzurike:

?Levi will play defensive end, and then on sub and dime packages, he?ll move inside.

?I really like Levi?s length to be able to set the edge and build a wall inside.?

On McNeill?who he calls ?Mac?:

?He?s going to end up playing nose guard.?

?Mac is a young man who?s very athletic for his size at 327 (pounds).

Last edited:
https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021...ies-roles-trey-flowers-levi-onwuzurike-scheme

On Flowers:

?We?re going to be a 3-4 out of base where he?s playing the outside linebacker spot,? Wash said bluntly.

On Onwuzurike:

?Levi will play defensive end, and then on sub and dime packages, he?ll move inside.

?I really like Levi?s length to be able to set the edge and build a wall inside.?

On McNeill?who he calls ?Mac?:

?He?s going to end up playing nose guard.?

?Mac is a young man who?s very athletic for his size at 327 (pounds).

Wash was talking up DShawn Hand too. Liking the front 7 more and more. Flowers will be at DE though in sub packages. J Okwara and Charles Harris the OLB depth. Plenty of DE depth with Hand and Nick Williams. NT depth with Penisini which is fine for a backup

Collins, Anzalone, Barnes and a slimmed down Tavai plus JRM using basically 2 LBs. Could be enough at LB but need Collins healthy and Barnes to do things early

Secondary is super young but has talent but still need a vet safety. If this coaching staff can get something positive out of Will Harris though and Walker back to 2018/2019 form they should get a statue of them outside of Ford Field

Last edited:
I wouldnt go that far. we couldnt cover last year and now the plan is:

Brockers Mac Levi
Flowers Collins Anzalone Okwara

wow...thats even bigger fatter and slower than Patricias front 7...run for 1 run for 1...throw for 8 all day long.

But base sets are only used about 1/3 of the time.....so I would imagine in nickel and dime packages ....either Mack, Levi or Brockers leave the field, Flowers moves to a pass rushing DE and we bring in another CB. But Collins and Anzalone covering todays TE and RB's isn't a favorable matchup. Need a S/LB hybrid.

But base sets are only used about 1/3 of the time.....so I would imagine in nickel and dime packages ....either Mack, Levi or Brockers leave the field, Flowers moves to a pass rushing DE and we bring in another CB. But Collins and Anzalone covering todays TE and RB's isn't a favorable matchup. Need a S/LB hybrid.

Thats 33% of the time they can take advantage of Flowers or Okwara standing up....thats a lot! I think theyll quickly find that isnt going to work.

Thats 33% of the time they can take advantage of Flowers or Okwara standing up....thats a lot! I think theyll quickly find that isnt going to work.

Yeah....that leaves LB?s on RB....2nd TE/FB....a S on TE1 and CB?s on WR?s.

That being said.....I believe we?ll see increased pressure this year with a bit of health, additional talent from the draft and a more aggressive scheme (hopefully).

Can Okudah play like a 3rd overall pick? Can Dunbar rebound to be a good CB. Can Walker improve? Way too many what if?s.....but we?ve gotten younger and more talented, IMO, than last year.

It's more likely flowers and okwara share time. Flowers moves to de in pass rush situations. Flowers levi and brockers on 3rd down. That opens up a chance for a 3rd cb julian or Barnes at olb opposite romeo.

Last edited:
...we?ve gotten younger and more talented, IMO, than last year.

As I said previously, every team is considered better after the draft than before, the same applies to the 'younger and more talented' comment here.

The unanswered question until games begin is, are we relatively better than the degree to which other teams improved.

I believe they had a solid draft so relative to other teams they improved more than most teams. Of course, starting lower than the others means the amount they need to improve is greater so the eventual W-L will likely not reflect this improvement as much as other stats, including points and yardage stats. I fully expect them to improve in most point and yardage stats even though W-L will not change much.

9 of 13 non wins (12 loss and tie) were one score in 2019. Lots of close losses. Remember cards, cheifs, packers and raiders especially. So 4 no chance losses

4 of 11 losses in 2020 one score. 7 beat downs

Could see another 2019 type season..8 close losses and 4 beat downs for 5 12

Back