Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The 2021 NFL Draft

Trading Stafford and him winning is more of the headline

I dont see Fields being a Maholmes or Watson or Wilson or Rodgers

I hope Fields is just good enough not to be dumped. Like Cutler for them

Chosing to take the has-been over a falling top QB prospect that proves everyone wrong and takes it out on the Lions for his entire career. I cant think of anything more Lions than that.

Like Michigan Running Backs.

In terms of them underperforming at NFL level, sure...but I think the WHY is different. I think the UM system back before Dick Rod kinda burned them out or broke their bodies a bit, and the resulting wear and tear resulted in them physically underperforming at NFL level.

With OSU QBs they just do not have the skills developed to perform at level expected in NFL, whether in reading Ds or making expected throws or adjusting to needing to throw sooner than they became accustomed to enjoying. So the mental aspect of being a pro QB is not developed at OSU (not saying it is at UM these days either, but prior to Dick Rod UM had more QBs starting in NFL than other schools).

Chosing to take the has-been over a falling top QB prospect that proves everyone wrong and takes it out on the Lions for his entire career. I cant think of anything more Lions than that.

Goff has had success with 2 100 QB rating seasons and was the number 1 overall pick. Goff could very well be more talented than Fields and hasn't hit his prime yet. Agree Fields could be all pro one day or just a good starter and it could bite the Lions

But we'll see how it shakes out. Sewell plus 2022 QB might be better. And that 2022 QB could end up better than Fields. Or Goff could actually be a good QB too in right team

Last edited:
Man you guys have short memories. We've all been down this road before as Detroit fans. Ebron over Donald. Darko over Carmello/Dwade. Get the Joe Buck exclusive ready...in 3 to 4 years...i can see it now. Titled "what could have been" showing fields stats as a consistent starter vs Goff and every QB we bring in after him. Ofourse thats going to happen...its the lions.

Everytime that I see tOSU QBs being drafted, I remember Art Schlichter..lol.

Cmon now, ya know damn well that's not what happened, as the Lions traded Stafford to the Rams long before the NFL draft, and there is no way that the Lions could have known beforehand, that Fields was gonna fall, likely even further than when Chicago traded up to take him with the 11th pick.

Last edited:
Cmon now, ya know damn well that's not what happened, as the Lions traded Stafford to the Rams long before the NFL draft, and there is no way that the Lions could have known beforehand, that Fields was gonna fall, likely even further than when Chicago traded up to take him with the 11th pick.

Right, but they knew they drafted at 7 with 5 highly sought after rd 1 QBs on the board. Odds are they were going get 1 if a rookie contract was the route they wanted to take. They absolutely chose Goff over a rookie contract. Not Fields per se....but thats what it ended up being and our rivals got him.

Last edited:
Right, but they knew they drafted at 7 with 5 highly sought after rd 1 QBs on the board. Odds are they were going get 1 if a rookie contract was the route they wanted to take. They absolutely chose Goff over a rookie contract. Not Fields per se....but thats what it ended up being and our rivals got him.

Even with Goff, they could have picked Fields @ #7, but instead they chose to address the trenches with their first 3 picks. I recall not so long ago, when many Lions fans criticized their FO for picking skill positions early instead. But given their sordid history there is nothing that they could do in the draft that would satisfy cynical Lions fans, who would just find something else that they did wrong in the draft.

Even with Goff, they could have picked Fields @ #7, but instead they chose to address the trenches with their first 3 picks. I recall not so long ago, when many Lions fans criticized their FO for picking skill positions early instead. But given their sordid history there is nothing that they could do in the draft that would satisfy cynical Lions fans, who would just find something else that they did wrong in the draft.

Don't get it twisted. I loved their draft.... although it's pretty easy to improve several positions when you suck at a majority of them. I'm just setting up the inevitable story of yet another tragic lions draft day debacle that sets the franchise back a decade.

Campbell said today they would have taken a WR if Sewell wasn't there. No chance on Fields. Goff is their guy

Campbells quotes are going to be something we either love or hate.....100% based on if we win in the next 2-3 years. If we turn it around and become a good football team...he'll be viewed as quirky and funny. If we don't, it will be annoying.

Back