Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The 2022 Hall of Fame ballot: David Ortiz only inductee

Former Boston Red Sox star David Ortiz has been elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame. Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens missed being elected in their last year of eligibility.

Ortiz received 77.9% of the HOF vote.

Barry Bonds got 66.0%,

Roger Clemens 65.2%,

Curt Schilling 58.6%

and Sammy Sosa 18.5% in their final year on the ballot.

what a joke. Ortiz makes it in but Bonds and Clemens don't??

Ortiz is well liked by the media, the other two and schilling are not.

Ortiz first ballot and great DH Edgar Martinez waited until his last year of eligibilty.

I am ambivalent to all of it.

The baseball HOF is a joke. It seems way too political. Bonds especially deserves to be in. He was an asshole, but even before the roids was one of the best players ever (which is why a lot of people hate him.....he didn't need to do it).

Clemens too.

It's such a mess i really don't even pay attention to who gets in each year.

I'll pay attention when Miggy and Verlander go in as Tigers....but that's it.

Last edited:
https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2022/01/25/watercooler-wednesday-22/
WATERCOOLER WEDNESDAY.
Totally Tigers

Today, another opportunity for readers to discuss the hottest topics in a forum where thoughtful dialog and a variety of opinions are welcomed.

Let?s create some running conversational threads. And for those of you still going into offices, here?s a question to take with you ? or use via Zoom calls ? as you talk to your co-workers.

Here is today?s hot topic.
Yesterday, the Baseball Writers? Association of America revealed their votes for induction into this year?s Baseball Hall of Fame.

Notable in this year?s ballots was the continuing shadow of PED use among most of the top candidates. Reflected by the voters? refusal to elect them in all of their eligible years so far. For those believed to use PEDS for many years, this was their last year of eligibility.

Last year, no one was elected.

This year, just one. David Ortiz.

Not without some question about his PED use.

How do you feel about what happened today?

Was justice served? Did the right choice of the entire ballot get in?

Does the reputation and exclusivity of admission to the Baseball Hall of Fame remain intact?

Cast your vote and share your thoughts.

Are you ready?

How do you feel about the latest Hall of Fame voting?

1. Happy with the election.

2. The election was a mixed bag.

3. Unhappy with the election.

VOTE

Screw them all until Sweet Lou gets in.

See, to me, that's where the HOF has fucked itself.

I don't think Whitaker is a HOF'er. I don't. He just wasn't that level of player, IMO. He was certainly a very good player.....I just think the HOF should be reserved for the best of the best.....elite players. I never saw sweet Lou as that.

BUT, when compared to the others that ARE in.....he belongs. So now, they're just including guys not just because of their own accomplishments.....but because others that have a similar WAR are in.

I think it's dumb.

See, to me, that's where the HOF has fucked itself.

I don't think Whitaker is a HOF'er. I don't. He just wasn't that level of player, IMO. He was certainly a very good player.....I just think the HOF should be reserved for the best of the best.....elite players. I never saw sweet Lou as that.

BUT, when compared to the others that ARE in.....he belongs. So now, they're just including guys not just because of their own accomplishments.....but because others that have a similar WAR are in.

I think it's dumb.

I think that's the only way you do it compared to the others and during his era should be another criteria. Weather he belongs based on those well that's above my pay grade but I don't think you should compare a 2B to LF or someone who played 20 years before or after.

Player with most hits in mlb history, player with most HR's and player with most Cy youngs all not in the HOF. Way to go MLB idiot writers

Last edited:
https://www.stitcher.com/show/locke...ospects-could-the-tigers-see-in-2022-90006929
Locked On Detroit Tigers Podcast: Hall of Fame talk, MLB Lockout update, and Which Prospects could the Tigers see in 2022. 35 minutes.

In this episode we update the labor negotiations between MLB and the Players in baseball.
Then we discuss Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds not making the Hall of Fame.
Lastly we talk about a few prospects not named Riley Greene or Spencer Torkelson that could make their MLB debuts in 2022.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2022/01/29/deeper-discussions-16/
DEEPER DISCUSSIONS.
Totally Tigers

We have now experienced a decade of intense debate over Hall of Fame elections and players who most likely used PEDs extensively.

Fans and writers, however not former players, have a variety of opinions about the infamous character clause that asks voters to consider the sportsmanship, integrity and character of each nominee.

It doesn?t appear that this yearly frictional event will be over anytime soon. While Bonds, Clemens et al are officially now off the ballot, they can still be nominated in their respective Era Committee. There are also others, like Alex Rodriquez, who just had their first of 10 years on the ballot.

Given that MLB has no jurisdiction, what should the Hall of Fame and BBWAA do? Should they keep things as is and allow writers to interpret players? info and background?

Or should they take a more definitive stand and implement a universal standard that recognizes these players without inducting them into the Hall? Potentially, a section devoted to that era of the game?

If so, should the PED history of that time be explained while also acknowledging what these players did? Including their accomplishments and stats?

What do you think they should do?
Today?s blog addresses this dilemma and allows readers to share their thoughts in more detail. And hopefully, to actively engage with others by responding to their posts and creating back-and-forth discussion threads. The more the merrier!

For this one blog only, you?ve got 6 sentences max to share your thoughts. Of course, you can respond to as many other readers as you want.

TT will supply the ammunition. One thought-provoking question. Several options provided. One hard choice to be selected. One vote.

Ready?

How should Cooperstown and the BBWAA handle Hall of Fame elections?

1. Keep the same voting system that's been in place.

2. Recognize but not induct certain players in a special section of the museum.

VOTE

Back