Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The annual Way to early but not really 2021 Draft Thread!

mhughes0021

Who ya got? Great week for the lions draft fans with several teams below us winning, a whole mess of teams now at 4 games won and a potential lengthy stafford injury. We're currently sitting at 10 in the reverse standing with a great chance to run the table with 3 losses to finish the year and quickly get a top 4 pick! Mock draft link below.

If were around 10 im targeting Zach Wilson QB BYU or Micah Parsons LB PSU.

If were top 4 im going with the top pass rusher DE Gregory Rosseau Miami.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2021.php

Last edited:
Who ya got? Great week for the lions draft fans with several teams below us winning, a whole mess of teams now at 4 games won and a potential lengthy stafford injury. We're currently sitting at 10 in the reverse standing with a great chance to run the table with 3 losses to finish the year and quickly get a top 4 pick!

Mock draft link below. If were around 10 im targeting Zach Wilson QB BYU or Micah Parsons LB PSU. If were top 4 im going with the top pass rusher DE Gregory Rosseau Miami.

If we can get 2 1st rounders + for Stafford, I?d like to see a QB. If not, defense, defense, defense!!!

If we can get 2 1st rounders + for Stafford, I?d like to see a QB. If not, defense, defense, defense!!!

I think the Colts is the landing place for Matt. They have the cap space and the need if Rivers retires or they don't re-sign him. They would probably give a 1st and 2nd in 2022?

If the Lions lose out and get to around #5, I think they should do everything to trade back and try to stockpile some picks for 2021 & 2022. Start from scratch. They virtually have nothing to build around right now.

If they keep Matt, well, I guess draft defense and expect to miss the playoffs for the next several years anyway.

Who ya got? Great week for the lions draft fans with several teams below us winning, a whole mess of teams now at 4 games won and a potential lengthy stafford injury. We're currently sitting at 10 in the reverse standing with a great chance to run the table with 3 losses to finish the year and quickly get a top 4 pick! Mock draft link below.

If were around 10 im targeting Zach Wilson QB BYU or Micah Parsons LB PSU.

If were top 4 im going with the top pass rusher DE Gregory Rosseau Miami.

actually, for the Lions, it's never too early. You could probably start this thread every year right after the first regular season game.

Quin sucked for sure....but something that may be attractive for a new GM will be its going to be pretty easy to remove about 30% of your cap space in 2021.

Matthew StaffordQB $22,650,000 10.57Trade him
Marvin Jones WR $9,183,334 4.29 Cut him
Justin Coleman CB $9,029,000 4.21 Bye bye
Jesse James TE $5,279,000 2.46 who?
Danny AmendolaWR $4,968,750 2.32 Bye bye
Nick Williams DT $4,300,000 2.01 who cares
Jarrad Davis ILB $3,490,197 1.63 nope
Christian Jones OLB $2,339,375 1.09 nope

actually, for the Lions, it's never too early. You could probably start this thread every year right after the first regular season game.
We could have started 2021 pre-darft after the last game of 2016.

Last edited:
I think the Colts is the landing place for Matt. They have the cap space and the need if Rivers retires or they don't re-sign him. They would probably give a 1st and 2nd in 2022?

If the Lions lose out and get to around #5, I think they should do everything to trade back and try to stockpile some picks for 2021 & 2022. Start from scratch. They virtually have nothing to build around right now.

If they keep Matt, well, I guess draft defense and expect to miss the playoffs for the next several years anyway.

Im going with San Fran. Rumors are Kelly has started looking for homes in Cali.

Quin sucked for sure....but something that may be attractive for a new GM will be its going to be pretty easy to remove about 30% of your cap space in 2021.

Stafford is worth every bit of $22mil and hopefully that?s the mindset of the new regime that comes in. Two first rounders and some should be the starting point in trade talks. Anything less, let him play another season in the Honolulu Blue.

Stafford is worth every bit of $22mil and hopefully that?s the mindset of the new regime that comes in. Two first rounders and some should be the starting point in trade talks. Anything less, let him play another season in the Honolulu Blue.
I could miss the playoffs and not win playoff games for much less.

Don't even need to cut Marvin...he's a free agent.

Jesse James has a $6.5M cap hit next year but $4.3 in dead money if you cut him. WTF was Quinn thinking???

Im going with San Fran. Rumors are Kelly has started looking for homes in Cali.

It makes sense but from what I read, the 49ers have a bunch of their own free agents that they need to sign which would leave them with very little cap space. I think the Colts will have $93M to work with next off season.

Here is a link I just found.

https://overthecap.com/looking-ahead-to-2021-salary-cap-space/

Going down the list I would say the Colts are closest to being a contender. NE might consider him but that doesn't seem like a B.B. type of move. SF might be able to clear enough space. They signed Jimmy G to a team friendly contract which allows them to cut him for a $2.8M cap hit which would save them about $23M in the cap next year. I just think that SF is too smart to burn 2 first round picks...it seems that they draft so well that they might be able to do better with the picks and get a serviceable QB and still be contenders? SF would work best for the Lions since they will be picking well ahead of the Colts. Either place would work for Matt. He would step into ideal circumstances.

QB, WR, Oline heavy first round it looks. Not many big time DE/DTs it seems and then Micah Parsons after an opt out for LB. Hope the new GM can hit on day 2 defense unlike Quinn

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/

WR 2 or 3 (due to impending FAs), one Oline to upgrade over Crosby or RG, one DE (Okwara and Griffen FAs), one maybe two DT (like Hand final year and Penisini though), 2-3 LBs (keep Collins due to cap), FS (Harmon a FA) and wouldn't hurt to add one more CB to upgrade over AO. But probably need a box safety with Walkers regression (final year of deal) plus Kearse a FA/Harris being terrible.

Cut Trufant, Williams, Christian Jones, maybe Shelton for cap space. Probably Jessie James too. Maybe Dahl. Collins could be June 1st trade/cut for half and half. Justin Coleman possible cut too

And then QB of course if they trade Stafford. Need two 1sts because one first for him basically means you have to use it on a QB so it's not a net gain other than cap space (and probably a talent reduction big time)

Last edited:
QB, WR, Oline heavy first round it looks. Not many big time DE/DTs it seems and then Micah Parsons after an opt out for LB. Hope the new GM can hit on day 2 defense unlike Quinn

WR 2 or 3 (due to impending FAs), one Oline to upgrade over Crosby or RG, one DE (Okwara and Griffen FAs), one maybe two DT (like Hand final year and Penisini though), 2-3 LBs (keep Collins due to cap), FS (Harmon a FA) and wouldn't hurt to add one more CB to upgrade over AO. But probably need a box safety with Walkers regression (final year of deal) plus Kearse a FA/Harris being terrible.

Cut Trufant, Williams, Christian Jones, maybe Shelton for cap space. Probably Jessie James too. Maybe Dahl. Collins could be June 1st trade/cut for half and half. Justin Coleman possible cut too

And then QB of course if they trade Stafford. Need two 1sts because one first for him basically means you have to use it on a QB so it's not a net gain other than cap space (and probably a talent reduction big time)

you wont get 2 firsts next year since the only teams with 2 picks will be MIA, Jax and Jets i think? Jax and Jets will have Lawrence and Fields. But maybe a 2022 1st?

This team, whoever is is charge, isn't trading Paddy Stafford. If they don't give him an extension (please no) then he'll get dumped. Either after 2022 or when his contract is up. The last contract he got was dumb. We're stuck with him.

If a QB lands in your lap in the first, then take him, but if I were a GM I wouldn't go looking for one next year. The Lions have so many holes that they will be picking in the top 10 for the next 3 years.

If a QB lands in your lap in the first, then take him, but if I were a GM I wouldn't go looking for one next year. The Lions have so many holes that they will be picking in the top 10 for the next 3 years.
It would be exciting getting a QB but this defense is a wreck. So I suspect they grab a WR.

But no so fast on draft

Lions run da table with Daniels beating Titans, Bucs and Vikings
Vikings beat Bears
Bears lose one other game (Packers) plus to Vikings for 9 losses, Vikings lose to Saints too and Lions of course for 9 losses
Cards 1-2 (lose tie breaker to Lions) (Eagles, 49ers, Rams)
San Fran one more loss for 9 losses
Giants one more loss for 9 losses
WFT wins NFC East

The only thing not likely here is the Lions running the table without Stafford

Last edited:
If you don't have a QB, you need to get one. That's one of the simplest things in the NFL. Do the Lions need defense? Holy f'n yes. Does that matter if we continue to run out an average to below average (especially as he ages) QB? No.

I'd be on board with grabbing a QB, but it depends highly in where we draft. If we lose out and somehow have a chance at Fields, great. If not, I'm not sure any of the next guys look like above average NFL QBs. I'd rather a blue chip defender (and looking at QB in later rounds or next year) than forcing a QB pick early.

But no so fast on draft

Lions run da table with Daniels beating Titans, Bucs and Vikings
Vikings beat Bears
Bears lose one other game (Packers) plus to Vikings for 9 losses, Vikings lose to Saints too and Lions of course for 9 losses
Cards 1-2 (lose tie breaker to Lions) (Eagles, 49ers, Rams)
San Fran one more loss for 9 losses
Giants one more loss for 9 losses
WFT wins NFC East

The only thing not likely here is the Lions running the table without Stafford

It is HIGHLY unlikely that the Lions run the table with or without Matt. They are 5-8 with him and 2-5 over their past 7 games. They suck.

Back