Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The annual Way to early but not really 2021 Draft Thread!

Absolutely. Addressing defense during free agency by grabbing veteran guys that produced 1 year during a 5-6 year career won't do it for me. Honestly, if they grabbed 2 linebackers in the first two rounds, I'd be more than thrilled. Zaven Collins, Parsons, Nick Bolton, Chazz Surratt, or Owusu-Koramoah all get my vote

That's what rebuild teams do, they sign former 1st-2nd round picks that failed badly.

That's what rebuild teams do, they sign former 1st-2nd round picks that failed badly.

Or build through the draft, look at Cleveland, a ton of misses, and a they hit on a few, now they're a playoff team that good players want to sign with. As opposed to Detroit who overpays average players to be hostages in Detroit for a few years and be unproductive. Cleveland values young talent, Detroit values veteran players that have achy joints

Last edited:
Or build through the draft, look at Cleveland, a ton of misses, and a they hit on a few, now they're a playoff team that good players want to sign with. As opposed to Detroit who overpays average players to be hostages in Detroit for a few years and be unproductive

What I meant was that's what Detroit rebuild teams do, they sign former 1st-2nd round picks that failed badly

Edge is looking more and more to be a deep draft class and is definitely a need depending on what happens in FA. Im still a little confused on what type of D Glenn will run...which makes it sound like hes having to just fit pieces together rather than run "his scheme." For example if little Okwara is our edge next year...hes not really a 4-3 DE...doesnt have the size.

Theres not the Bosa or Chase Young in this years draft...but theres a deep list:

Greg Rosseau 1st rd
Jaelen Phillips 1st rd
Kwitty Paye 1st rd
Azeez Ojulari 1st rd

Carlos Basham 1st/2nd
Rashad Weaver 2nd
Joe Tryon 2nd
Joseph Ossai 2nd
Dayo Odeyingbo 2nd
Patrick Jones 2nd
Chazz Surrat 2nd
Jason Oweh 2nd/3rd
Quincy Roche 2nd/3rd

As far as depth in the draft goes i really like the Edge talent you can get in rd 2 or top of rd 3.
I really like the safety depth you can get in rd 3.
I really like the corner and WR depth you can get in rd 2.

First off that would have me looking to trade down if i can in rd 1....theres so much quality depth at these positions in rds 2 and 3. Also, if i couldnt trade down id be looking at LB at 7 since i can get a lot of those other positions of need later. Parsons is still my guy.

Edge is looking more and more to be a deep draft class and is definitely a need depending on what happens in FA. Im still a little confused on what type of D Glenn will run...which makes it sound like hes having to just fit pieces together rather than run "his scheme." For example if little Okwara is our edge next year...hes not really a 4-3 DE...doesnt have the size.

Theres not the Bosa or Chase Young in this years draft...but theres a deep list:

Greg Rosseau 1st rd
Jaelen Phillips 1st rd
Kwitty Paye 1st rd
Azeez Ojulari 1st rd

Carlos Basham 1st/2nd
Rashad Weaver 2nd
Joe Tryon 2nd
Joseph Ossai 2nd
Dayo Odeyingbo 2nd
Patrick Jones 2nd
Chazz Surrat 2nd
Jason Oweh 2nd/3rd
Quincy Roche 2nd/3rd

As far as depth in the draft goes i really like the Edge talent you can get in rd 2 or top of rd 3.

First off that would have me looking to trade down if i can in rd 1....theres so much quality depth at these positions in rds 2 and 3. Also, if i couldnt trade down id be looking at LB at 7 since i can get a lot of those other positions of need later. Parsons is still my guy.

How is Okwara not ideal size for a 4-3 edge? 6'4 and 255 lbs is larger than Avril was. Yes on Parsons, and I agree on safety in round 3, but I don't think it'll be a depth move, I think they'll find a starter. I'm honestly not big on any safety we have on the roster. I'd love to see that tweener linebacker from Notre Dame fall to us in round 2. Him and Parsons athleticism on the field together would help things imo

Last edited:
How is Okwara not ideal size for a 4-3 edge? 6'4 and 255 lbs is larger than Avril was. Yes on Parsons, and I agree on safety in round 3, but I don't think it'll be a depth move, I think they'll find a starter. I'm honestly not big on any safety we have on the roster. I'd love to see that tweener linebacker from Notre Dame fall to us in round 2. Him and Parsons athleticism on the field together would help things imo

Oh i agree 100% the need for a starting safety next to Walker. I meant depth in the draft at the safety position. IMO the best safety is Andre Cisco and most mocks have him going in rd 3. Moehrig, Grant and Holland are fringe rd1/early rd 2 prospects.

Little Okwara eventhough hes 255 has a harder time setting the edge which is what will be asked of him as a true 4-3 DE. If we run a 3-4 or 3-3-5 he can be that "Edge" role.

Last edited:
Oh i agree 100% the need for a starting safety next to Walker. I meant depth in the draft at the safety position. IMO the best safety is Andre Cisco and most mocks have him going in rd 3. Moehrig, Grant and Holland are fringe rd1/early rd 2 prospects.

Little Okwara eventhough hes 255 has a harder time setting the edge which is what will be asked of him as a true 4-3 DE. If we run a 3-4 or 3-3-5 he can be that "Edge" role.

I get you. If Cisco is there in round 3 I'm all for grabbing him. Guy is a ball magnet

Greg Rosseau 1st rd
Jaelen Phillips 1st rd
Kwitty Paye 1st rd
Azeez Ojulari 1st rd

Carlos Basham 1st/2nd
Rashad Weaver 2nd
Joe Tryon 2nd
Joseph Ossai 2nd
Dayo Odeyingbo 2nd
Patrick Jones 2nd
Chazz Surrat 2nd
Jason Oweh 2nd/3rd
Quincy Roche 2nd/3rd

I love this scenario. For me the draft should go like this.

Rd 1 Parsons
Rd 2 Edge Hopefully Jaelen Phillips
Rd 3 Slot receiver Amari Rodgers
Rd 3-5 Safety/OL/DT

An edge guy i want to avoid at all costs is Jayson Oweh. The guy had zero sacks in 2020 in college. I know some guys excel in the pros versus college production. But to have zero sacks as an edge defender is unacceptable to me.

A late round edge defender I really like is Janarius Robinson from Florida State.

I love this scenario. For me the draft should go like this.

Rd 1 Parsons
Rd 2 Edge Hopefully Jaelen Phillips
Rd 3 Slot receiver Amari Rodgers
Rd 3-5 Safety/OL/DT

An edge guy i want to avoid at all costs is Jayson Oweh. The guy had zero sacks in 2020 in college. I know some guys excel in the pros versus college production. But to have zero sacks as an edge defender is unacceptable to me.

A late round edge defender I really like is Janarius Robinson from Florida State.
If we can get a S that can play the OL and DT best pick ever.

Got alot of my guys in this mock. Trade down twice in rd 1 :D.

22. Zaven Collins
LB*Tulsa

41.Jaelan Phillips
EDGE*Miami (FL)

43.Terrace Marshall Jr.
WR*LSU

53.Daviyon Nixon
DT*Iowa

72.Andre Cisco
S*Syracuse

88.D’Wayne Eskridge
WR*Western Michigan

112.Trey Sermon
RB*Ohio State

154.Sage Surratt
WR*Wake Forest

Got alot of my guys in this mock. Trade down twice in rd 1 :D.

22. Zaven Collins
LB*Tulsa

41.Jaelan Phillips
EDGE*Miami (FL)

43.Terrace Marshall Jr.
WR*LSU

53.Daviyon Nixon
DT*Iowa

72.Andre Cisco
S*Syracuse

88.D?Wayne Eskridge
WR*Western Michigan

112.Trey Sermon
RB*Ohio State

154.Sage Surratt
WR*Wake Forest

Eskridge likely to be gone by then. Guy dominated the senior bowl and could run in the mid 4.3?s. Likely top 50 pick.

Justin Fields ran a 4.41 forty at his pro day. Maybe someone will trade up with the Lions to grab him. We all know how NFL teams love athletic QBs. I think he has the athletic ability and the arm talent, just not sure if he has the decision making. If a team is a little patient with him, he could be a stud.

Post FA mock. NE traded up with me again :D Still got Parsons at 15.

DET
15.Micah Parsons
LB Penn State

DET
41.Richie Grant
S UCF

DET
46.Asante Samuel Jr.
CB Florida State

DET
72.Elijah Moore
WR Mississippi