Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official MICHIGAN v Minnesota Score Prediction Thread

TheVictors

Well ?. here we are. It?s almost Halloween and we finally do have MICHIGAN FOOTBALL. If that?s what we are going to call it here in 2020 after all that has happened.

But IT IS MICHIGAN FOOTBALL! After getting the NBA and NHL back in bubble form, along with the oft fan-less NFL games, to the Covid-spiking SEC and Southern states CFB, it is sports in some form and its good to have it ?something, back!

But is this MICHIGAN FOOTBALL? Dylan McCaffrey pulled the Portal Card at the 11th Hour after his family pressured and pleaded with the BigTen (even aligning themselves with Nebraska AD) to start football again. When they did, he bolted as did Nico Collins who?d more quietly signed with an agent and was suddenly gone. And after a few weeks of hope, is definitely gone.

It?s the same Winged Helmet, the same Maize & Blue and the same Fight Song! The quarterback is Joe Milton and he?s very tall and can throw very far. The receivers are a ?lunch bucket brigade? of relative no names, lead by surprise Ronnie Bell and dudes like Sainristil. But no matter the names on the back, the Program is the same and the Head Coach is Jim Harbaugh.

But who are the Golden Gophers? A long-time laughingstock of the Big Ten and long time Rival for MICHIGAN, the Brown Jug will once again be on the line when the two old school programs meet on the evening of October 24th. As we all know, this won?t be the first Night Game AT Minnesota, but this one will not be played in the Hubert H Humphrey Metrodome and won?t be played against a doormat.

The Goophs as the Haters call them, come into the 2020 campaign with PJ Fleck rowing his Boat, rocking his tie and jumping all over the place ?were there ever a Harbaugh-like scrub in the making, Fleck may be it. The 2020 rendition of Minnesota football went an impressive (10-2) including a win over Penn State and losses only AT Iowa and to Wisconsin. They closed out the campaign by beating an SEC! team in Auburn, 31-24 in the Outback Bowl. The Gophers averaged 34.2ppg while scoring 59 TDs and look to be a favorite to finish near the top of the Big Ten West.

MICHIGAN, on the other hand, completed the ?19-20 season with a loss to SEC foe Alabama and found itself on the losing end to Ohio State once again in the Big Ten regular season finale. Presumptive starting QB Dylan McCaffrey is gone from Ann Arbor as is NFL prototype Nico Collins, but that doesn?t mean the Wolverines are without weapons on offense. At 6?5? 245lbs, Junior/RS Sophomore QB Joe Milton resembles more of a Tight End than a traditional QB under Harbaugh and while Collins is gone, the WR corps lead by 2019 leader Ronnie Bell has some depth, albeit young depth. Nick Eubanks comes back as a Graduate Student to start at TE, having hauled in 25 passes for 234 yards and 4 Touchdowns.

The Running Backs should be led by returners Zach Charbonnet and Hassan Haskins who had a standout performance in last year?s game against ACC?s Noter Dame sucks, while both Quinn Nordin and Hart return in the Kicking game.

At this point there isn?t a reliable Line on the Boards in Vegas and given how the 2020-21 CFB campaign has gone so far, there might as well not be because Who Knows?? Somehow the Wolverines come in ranked as the #19 team in the nation while the Host Gophers sit right behind at #22.

So go ahead and leave your Score Predictions with some supportive analysis if you wish but leave the woofing and barking for other threads!

IMG_0441_thumb.jpg

GO BLUE!!

I think this is going to be a really tough opening game.

The offense seems like it should be serviceable with Charbonnet, Haskins, and Evans at RB. I have to assume Milton beat out McCaffrey and that's why McCaffrey left. I have no idea what that tells us. Both of them have so few reps in their careers to go off. At least we have some speed at WR with guys like Giles Jackson, Mike Sainristil, and Cornelius Johnson. Bell is a not a burner, but he runs good routes and is pretty solid at getting YAC. WR appears to be fine. There may be some rough patches early with the OL since we're replacing so many quality starters. Losing Ruiz, Onwenu, Bredeson, and Runyan Jr is not easy to replace. Warriner is about as good as it gets as an OL coach, so we have to hope he has the new guys ready to roll day one.

LB is set to be good if not great. I have no concerns there. Same goes for starting DEs. That still leaves a ton of questions for the interior DL and DBs. Dax Hill is going to be great and Hawkins will be a nice compliment at the other S spot. Kemp is mercifully moving back to 3-tech from NT. Looks like it will be Jeter and Hinton rotating at NT. Haven't heard much of anything about Mazi Smith unfortunately. I believe Jess Speight is the most likely to backup Kemp.

Back to CB, it's not good. With Ambry leaving, that puts Vincent Gray as our #1 CB. Not ideal. The #2 CB spot is still up for grabs. It was announced yesterday that Sammy Faustin is moving from S to CB to compete with DJ Turner, Jalen Perry, and Gemon Green. Don Brown told Faustin from day one that he would be a S, not a CB. Not great, Bob! The bad CB recruiting has caught up this year. We're going to be a long way off from what we've been used to seeing over the last 5 seasons. Good passing teams could torch us. We know that OSU will torch us through the air. Brown mixed in more zone last year, so I'm hoping he uses it WAY more this year. We do not have anyone like Lewis, Long, Hill, or Thomas who can run man to man all day. Stribling or Clark seems like the ceiling for whomever ends up starting at CB. I have no idea who will be the nickel. Kind of assuming they'll use Dax there quite a bit and rotate in another S.

At least Minnesota doesn't have both Johnson and Bateman back, but Ibrahim is dangerous at RB for them. They can hurt you through the air or on the ground. Their defense did give up a lot of points last year, so maybe we can outscore them in a tight one.

Michigan - 30
Minnesota - 28

Last edited:
Hey, what's the harm in having a relevant 2-week thread on the Opener?!

Geez ….we even got MB09 back with a detailed breakdown and clearly its thewolverines24 who should be starting tHE OFFICIAL threads with his Rivals-like, position by position analysis!

I noticed M&B09 was back as well. Welcome!

Vic, I didn't want to make a big deal about it so that DeathRoh wouldn't notice and also come back & start cyberbullying him about Kovacs or whatever they used to argue about.

I'm not a gambler, but we open as 2.5 point dogs to Minnesota. For those that like that kind of thing.

Vic, I didn't want to make a big deal about it so that DeathRoh wouldn't notice and also come back & start cyberbullying him about Kovacs or whatever they used to argue about.

IIRC MB09 lent a couch to Kovacs because he was such huge advocate of him and he thought we was the best defensive player on the team.

I'm not a gambler, but we open as 2.5 point dogs to Minnesota. For those that like that kind of thing.

Colorado voted to legalize Sports Wagering in the last election and I didn't really pay attention because I don't go to the few $5-limit places in Cripple Creek, Blackhawk or Central City but …..the new law legalized DraftKings, FANDUEL and all the other Apps.

Frankly, I've done very well during football so far. I've taken the dog against noter dame sucks three times and won all three and taking something like the Over in the Red River Rivalry seemed a no brainer.

All of that said, under Lloyd Carr or any other coach of the bygone era we would be at least a 12-point FAVORITE on the road. This is more like a standard NFL line where the home team lays the FG, but in this case, it's not even that.

Last edited:

Is that what they always argued about?

I thought they always argued about the size of their dicks.

Oh shit, I woofed and barked, fuck, sorry.

Hey, what's the harm in having a relevant 2-week thread on the Opener?!

Geez ?.we even got MB09 back with a detailed breakdown and clearly its thewolverines24 who should be starting tHE OFFICIAL threads with his Rivals-like, position by position analysis!

I lurk occasionally. Wasn't much happening for so long. Excited to have sports back.

Sees Kovacs name for the first time in years....shudders, mostly now because it reminds me of how bad we were when Kovacs was our best player.

I do wonder what happened to DeathRoh. He was a student when I just started working at UM and was in some of the classes I was supporting.

Last edited:
IIRC MB09 lent a couch to Kovacs because he was such huge advocate of him and he thought we was the best defensive player on the team.

Get it right, a porch couch....also it's been TEN YEARS since that if you want to feel old. Happy porch couch anniversary

Last edited:
Tarik Black is probbaly pissed lol. He would have been the #1 on this team by far and when he left he probably thought he was going to be a #3.

1 call out...you have John in Baltimore. Milton is definitely not Lamar Jackson by any stretch but i think you have to say the strength of this offense with Milton at QB and a new set of WRs will be our run game. Will be interesting to see if Jim puts in any baltimoreesque type offensive sets.

Back