Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official Rose Bowl Score Prediction Thread

Michchamp

8339571371_cafe6e5ea4_n.jpg

ROSE BOWL GAME - College Football Playoff Semifinal - Monday, January 1, 2024 at 5:10 PM Eastern, on ESPN, #1 Michigan vs. #4 Alabama

Line: UM -2 (opened -2.5)
o/u: 44.5
Sagarin predictor: UM by ~5 pts.

About our opponent: I made this photo/video collage in their honor:

8718281.jpg
ddd2d4913972a6722c1e36d92534d690.jpg
segregation.jpg

ForrestRunningScene-735x413.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrimMyOoEDA

Background
: Well... who knows how this one will go? if you go back to Mid-September, Alabama was looking like a Program on the decline, after missing the playoffs in 2022. They were 2-1, with one easy win over MTSU, a lousy win over a middling USF team, and a tough home loss to a good Texas team (that of course eventually made the playoffs as well, but looked shaky at times). Since then, Alabama has played pretty good football, through a tough schedule (Sagarin ranks their S.O.S. 10th, vs. 60th for us).

ON THE OTHER HAND... Bama came close to missing the playoffs this year... they trailed at the half @Texas A&M... struggled with Arkansas at home... and of course needed a comedy of errors by Auburn to win that game at the buzzer.

Personally I don't know what to think; on paper, I think we're a better team, tougher and more disciplined. But I've had those thoughts so many times in my life before the post-season, only to see Michigan show up and get clobbered in a bowl game.

I do think this team is different, and having gotten burned two years in a row, is not going to sleepwalk into this one expecting an easy win. So there's that.

Bama's players are running their mouths a lot more... and I feel fairly certain that most of the country is expecting Bama to win this one, especially since OSU, and now PSU have gotten rolled by comparable SEC teams.

Stats Watch!... UM ... UA
Total Defense: 1st ... 17th (we give up about 70 ypg less)
Total Offense: 68th ... 53rd (they avg. about 20 ypg more)
Pass Eff Def.: 5th ... 16th
Rush Defense: 5th ... 31st
Red Zone Def.: 3rd ... 49th
Pass Eff. Off.: 5th ... 7th
Rush Offense: 60th ... 46th (they avg. 10 ypg more)
Turnover Margin: 2nd (+1.3) ... 18th (+.6)
Penalties/Game: 1st (2.9) ... 62nd (5.8)
Sacks Allowed: 28th (1.3/g) ... 115th (3.3/g) (wow...)
Sacks made: 36th (2.5/g) ... 12th (2.9/g)

Our defense seems a little better; both offenses are comparable statistically, although theirs seems a little more error prone. If we play our game, we should prevail. IF... IF ... IF.

So go ahead and make your predictions, and post some analysis if you so choose, but as always, leave the woofing and barking for other threads.

Michigan 33
Bama 24

Got rattle Milroe, keep the pressure on him, force Bama to put the game on his shoulders.
GO BLUE!

I just hope they dont go into the game thinking they can just cram the run down their throats. Know yourself... but knowing the opponent matters as well. I hope they know they need to open it up this game. They haven't played that way in like 2+ months. Big day from JJ is our only chance. Jim probably too hard headed to know that..

31-17 bama

Back