Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official THE GA][V][E Game Thread 2023 Edition

I think he expected this would be an easy win for him, without Harbaugh across the field. And his plan was to go and do some Ohio radio shows afterward, and say "See, I only lost to Michigan twice in a row because they were cheating, and without Cheating Harbaugh, we win every year," knowing most of the fans would eat that shit without question.

I had some sympathy for him before last week; after the way he responded and talked coming up to this one, not anymore. This gig might just end up eating him alive.

I also think the press SHOULD have asked the question: if it wasn't Day's brother's P.I. agency behind the investigation... who's was it? WHO PAID FOR IT?!?!

and how did they get the NCAA and Big Ten to run with it? If I pay for a PI to track (say for example) all the OSU players' cars, how they got them, & what happened to them after graduation... and that investigation revealed improprieties... and I send that to the NCAA... would it get the same traction? Would the Big Ten suspend Day during the season?

These things don't just happen... investigations cost a fuck load of money, and PI's are not easy to deal with. someone paid for this, and pulled strings to make it happen.

I hope this win will spark further investigation by the media of who was behind all of this. You know the B1G and NCAA aren't going to get to the bottom of it. Hopefully, Petitti and others that were involved will lose their jobs.

I know CBUS sports talk radio is in Chernobyl mode this morning. Having listened to it a few weeks ago while driving through Ohio, when the reactors were at critical mass, meltdown was inevitable. I might take a peek in later.

EDIT: Schadenfreude update. Buckeye Nation would rather go 1-11 with a win over Michigan EVERY SEASON, then go 11-1 with a loss to Michigan.

Last edited:
I hope this win will spark further investigation by the media of who was behind all of this. You know the B1G and NCAA aren't going to get to the bottom of it. Hopefully, Petitti and others that were involved will lose their jobs.

Well, look at this comment, from Pat Forde and Dan Wetzel's podcast:

The Connor Stalions saga has dramatically decreased weight after the Wolverines proved they could win this game without Harbaugh on the sidelines.

WHY? If we really were "cheating" and the Big Ten needed to act NOW to stop all the harm that we were doing... why is it suddenly no big deal after we beat OSU? A crime is still a crime even if the bad guy succeeds later on... Right?

Were they really serious about investigating us and preserving the "integrity" of a (notoriously dirty) sport and institution? Or was this just a hit piece to try to take us out of contention?

I think you know where I stand...

I know CBUS sports talk radio is in Chernobyl mode this morning. Having listened to it a few weeks ago while driving through Ohio, when the reactors were at critical mass, meltdown was inevitable. I might take a peek in later.

EDIT: Schadenfreude update. Buckeye Nation would rather go 1-11 with a win over Michigan EVERY SEASON, then go 11-1 with a loss to Michigan.

11Warriors is all over the place, but the majority seem to be livid with Ryan Day; the minority are like "Michigan was cheating" ( to which some reply that Day knew about that weeks ago, and if they didn't change signs, it's on him), or are "Michigan must've come up with a new and even more secret way to cheat."

The despair is also leading them down some pretty bizarre rabbit holes.

one guy claimed Will Johnson's pick in the first Q was because we "stole the sign for that route."

If that is even possible... why didn't we intercept every pass they threw? We really underplayed our hand there...

I thought it was a good game between two pretty evenly matched teams. Before the game, I thought it would come down to McCord not being able to deliver. That turned out to be true. OSU fans ripping on Ryan Day are stupid.

I thought it was a good game between two pretty evenly matched teams. Before the game, I thought it would come down to McCord not being able to deliver. That turned out to be true. OSU fans ripping on Ryan Day are stupid.

It was a good game. That sequence where OSU responded and ran the ball down the field for a TD, Zinter got hurt, and then we came back and scored... that was like a heavyweight fight. Each team was taking punches and punching back.

I think the same thing about Day... you can't argue with his record this far, and how many other power 5 coaches out there can be expected to win at least 90% of their games each year?

Right now it's a short list, and I don't see Saban, Smart, or Harbaugh leaving their current gigs to take the OSU job. or Maybe OSU has another unknown sleazebag like Tressel waiting in the wings?

Sure OSU has a talent advantage, but a bad coaching decision can fuck that up... just look at what RichRod did.

OSU fans need to cope with their team losing a rivalry game, and stick with Day until he finds a formula to beat us.

With all the talent we'll lose to the draft & graduation, next year OSU should have the more experienced squad. AND they have a relatively easy Big Ten schedule... compared to us. but sure, dumbasses, go blow up your program to hire a new coach and start over...

It was a good game. That sequence where OSU responded and ran the ball down the field for a TD, Zinter got hurt, and then we came back and scored... that was like a heavyweight fight. Each team was taking punches and punching back.

I think the same thing about Day... you can't argue with his record this far, and how many other power 5 coaches out there can be expected to win at least 90% of their games each year?

Right now it's a short list, and I don't see Saban, Smart, or Harbaugh leaving their current gigs to take the OSU job. or Maybe OSU has another unknown sleazebag like Tressel waiting in the wings?

Sure OSU has a talent advantage, but a bad coaching decision can fuck that up... just look at what RichRod did.

OSU fans need to cope with their team losing a rivalry game, and stick with Day until he finds a formula to beat us.

With all the talent we'll lose to the draft & graduation, next year OSU should have the more experienced squad. AND they have a relatively easy Big Ten schedule... compared to us. but sure, dumbasses, go blow up your program to hire a new coach and start over...

They did it before.

What kind of car did Tressel own when he was the OSU HC?

A Lloyd Carr.

But kind of car did Carr own before Tressel?

A Cooper.

That anaconda-like close-out drive was a thing of beauty to witness.

Well, look at this comment, from Pat Forde and Dan Wetzel's podcast:

The Connor Stalions saga has dramatically decreased weight after the Wolverines proved they could win this game without Harbaugh on the sidelines.

WHY? If we really were "cheating" and the Big Ten needed to act NOW to stop all the harm that we were doing... why is it suddenly no big deal after we beat OSU? A crime is still a crime even if the bad guy succeeds later on... Right?

Were they really serious about investigating us and preserving the "integrity" of a (notoriously dirty) sport and institution? Or was this just a hit piece to try to take us out of contention?

I think you know where I stand...

There is a story here that some ambitious sports reporter could make their career by digging into it. If Day and his brothers were behind it and whipped up the other B1G coaches and Petitti that would be a big story!

It's funny listening to osu fans and how ready they were to blame the last 3 years on cheating. I wonder how they feel now when they realize they just suck... and getting the ball ran down your throat had nothing to do with cheating. I wouldn't know cause they've been really quiet since they lost... again... and again..
And again.

Funny how Michigan is getting all sorts of love from the media now. Saw a story by Klatt about how he teared up when Zinter was injured, how quiet it was, and then the team came out onto the field and the crowd started chanting "Let's Go Zak". He even pretended to choke up as he recounted the story. I think he was trying to redeem himself with the Michigan faithful from the b.s. call he made on the touchdown pass to Wilson, and others during the game.

Funny how Michigan is getting all sorts of love from the media now. Saw a story by Klatt about how he teared up when Zinter was injured, how quiet it was, and then the team came out onto the field and the crowd started chanting "Let's Go Zak". He even pretended to choke up as he recounted the story. I think he was trying to redeem himself with the Michigan faithful from the b.s. call he made on the touchdown pass to Wilson, and others during the game.

Today, Joel still made the claim Wilson didn?t have control. I?ve watched it over and over and over. He had control as he crossed the goal line. No doubt about it.

Last edited:
It looked like the ball wobbled a bit before he crossed the goal line, but he locked it down as he went to the ground and simultaneously crossed the goal line, then the ball came out. But he was definitely in the endzone before the ball came out

It looked like the ball wobbled a bit before he crossed the goal line, but he locked it down as he went to the ground and simultaneously crossed the goal line, then the ball came out. But he was definitely in the endzone before the ball came out

I don't know if he ever really had control of the ball, but it really doesn't matter. That was one of those calls that if they had ruled it an INT, they couldn't reverse it either.

The only thing I am 100% sure of, that was one hell of a throw!

I was annoyed because it seemed pretty cut and dry to me: he caught the pass, brought it down, broke the plane/crossed the goal line and landed on the ground. Play over... TD.

Ripping the ball away from him on the ground occurred after the play was over. Totally irrelevant.

Yet the long review killed momentum and took the air out of the Stadium.

It definitely felt like a lot was going against us at that point: the announcing, the refereeing...

I was annoyed because it seemed pretty cut and dry to me: he caught the pass, brought it down, broke the plane/crossed the goal line and landed on the ground. Play over... TD.

Ripping the ball away from him on the ground occurred after the play was over. Totally irrelevant.

Yet the long review killed momentum and took the air out of the Stadium.

It definitely felt like a lot was going against us at that point: the announcing, the refereeing...

I really get annoyed with all of the slow motion replays. I think they have kind of ruined a lot of sports nit picking every call. Watching that play full speed, it 100% looked like a TD. That really should have been the end of it. Then they slow it down frame by frame and it appears that he is bobbling it the entire time.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I liked it better before they had all of this replay crap. Call it a TD, look at it once just in case there is something obvious, and move along.

Now, get off my grass! :cheers:

Back