Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Officical MSU vs ][V][ichigan Game Thread

Yeah, it stings.

The Spartans are a really good team. Nobody here thought otherwise. Nobody thought this would be an easy win.

Gotta root for the Spartans to lose twice but they probably won?t. They look better than both PSU and OSU.

They look like they?ll run the table, win the B1G championship and go to the playoffs.

I'm not so sure. You guys are a run first team that threw for over 400 yards against us - osu is definitely a more complete team than we are.

That game was a great game to watch but it was riddled with errors on both sides and in my opinion, lost by the team that made more mistakes - or more of them late in the game. I think this division is pretty wide open with OSU still the best team. psu is way better than the team that lost to Illinois - it's probably too late for them but they could be a spoiler for uofm or us, especially if Clifford gets back to full strength.

Last edited:
Maybe he?s independently wealthy and has time to do all that, I don?t know. Maybe he makes a good living off the blog. Maybe he?s married to a supermodel with real low self-esteem.

Unfortunately he just went through a divorce. I either read that in an article or heard that in a podcast in the past week or two. They do a pretty good job covering the football, basketball and hockey teams. There are some articles I don't read, they're a little too ABCD for me (remember that guy? DEBORD). There are also some I don't read because they're comparable to an article from The Onion. I don't visit their message board.

IF that call was not able to be overturned, the strip sack TD had zero reason to be overturned...and THAT actually is more than just the 4 points mentioned previously. The score would have been 27-14 at the half instead of 23-14. UM scored the first points of 2nd half to go up 30-14, but it should have been 34-14. And here is where that 4 points becomes more than 4 points. Due to it being 30-14, after MSU scores their next 2 TDs, they went for 2 each time and converted. If the score was 34-14, Tucker does not go for 2 both times and the score becomes 34 28 after those scores instead of 30-30.

That had occurred to me as well. It wouldn't have been as direct as overturning a TD when there was enough evidence to confirm the call of a fumble, let alone overturn it.

I read the rules and looked it up. Before it would get to that, it would be the record of teams each team played in the other division.

In #298, I posted a link to mgoblog that breaks it down pretty well ? I don?t read that blog much but it?s supposed to be pretty good, according to other posters here, I think the guy?s name is Brian and he lives in breathes Michigan sports. Maybe he?s independently wealthy and has time to do all that, I don?t know. Maybe he makes a good living off the blog. Maybe he?s married to a supermodel with real low self-esteem.

All three teams have or will have played one win Nebraska. Taking Nebraska out of the equation, the buckeyes opponents have seven wins and the Spartans and Michigan?s opponents have four wins as of now. Michigan and the Spartans have Northwestern in common and the buckeyes and the Spartans have or will have Purdue in common.

Outside that, Michigan has Wisconsin and the buckeyes have Minnesota.

Michigan is probably not going to win that tiebreak scenario, but it is still a possibility.

Purdue has been playing pretty well. MSU goes on the road against them and possibly the Spartans will stumble against them off the big win and lose and then lose to Ohio State.

Then, ?all? Michigan would have to do would be to beat Penn State on the road and Ohio State at home, and win the other two games.

I would prefer that.

The Spartans have certainly looked really good and it?s easy to be down on Michigan right now, but I can never give up on Michigan football until the doctor calls time of death and puts on the toe tag.

Then it?s on to basketball.

That is a stuuuupid tiebreaker. Overall record should count after head to head. If one of them had 3 losses out of conference and ended up tied with the other 2, the 3 loss team could still go to B10 Championship (by those standards, if I'm reading them correctly) and that would fuck conference out of a playoff berth.

That is a stuuuupid tiebreaker. Overall record should count after head to head. If one of them had 3 losses out of conference and ended up tied with the other 2, the 3 loss team could still go to B10 Championship (by those standards, if I'm reading them correctly) and that would fuck conference out of a playoff berth.

That's why I assumed overall record was the first tiebreaker when there are 3 teams tied in a division. Likely to eliminate one, then you're left with head to head for the remaining 2.

I don?t know the tiebreaker rules for the other conferences in such a situation. Clearly, the B1G is choosing to look to settle the outcome with as much exclusively in conference play as possible. It seems to me like it?s a matter of philosophy ? they do not want out of conference results to factor into the settlement of the Big Ten championship if it all possible.

Lots of references to rules and tiebreakers and all that, but I've learned in the last year that what really matters is how I feel about it and then there's all the evidence of fraud and all. I think it's safe to say the only way Michigan isn't crowned champ is if it's stolen.

Lots of references to rules and tiebreakers and all that, but I've learned in the last year that what really matters is how I feel about it and then there's all the evidence of fraud and all. I think it's safe to say the only way Michigan isn't crowned champ is if it's stolen.

As it stands right now, it looks like the deciding tiebreaker would favor Ohio State.

So who knows? Maybe the conference hired a mathematician to write an algorithm to come with the formula that would give the buckeyes the most advantage.

I mean, last year it in the Covid year, the rules to qualify for the B1G title game we?re etched in stone.

Until the buckeyes weren?t going to make the title game.

Then it was ?well?ehhhhh?..Maybe just a little tweak??

No tiebreaker rule matters. OSU will buttfuck us into outer space on Thanksgiving weekend. We all know this. Jim will prepare us to win a 24-17 game while OSU will be out there trying to put 100 on the scoreboard.

feelings are important. if you feel one way, then that's maybe how it is.

but also: facts don't care about your feelings.

Damn! I had no idea things were this bad in EL! WTF is wrong with these people? I have relatives that have gone to MSU, I had no idea.

I thought things were a lot worse in the late 90's - early 00's when they were rioting all the time after big events.

since it hasn't seemed to be in the news that much, I assumed it was getting better.

still, this is only one or two cars getting flipped. and my friend (not an MSU alum, but lives in EL) sent me a pic of a couch burning in the middle of the street from his walk home from Spartan Stadium. That all pales in comparison to the scenes of cops in riot gear, behind barricades, with clouds of teargas blowing around from '98-'00

I thought things were a lot worse in the late 90's - early 00's when they were rioting all the time after big events.

since it hasn't seemed to be in the news that much, I assumed it was getting better.

still, this is only one or two cars getting flipped. and my friend (not an MSU alum, but lives in EL) sent me a pic of a couch burning in the middle of the street from his walk home from Spartan Stadium. That all pales in comparison to the scenes of cops in riot gear, behind barricades, with clouds of teargas blowing around from '98-'00

I remember the riots now. I guess maybe things have gotten a bit better. But I repeat, WTF is wrong with these people?

An interesting wildcard is Purdue. It is possible they win vs either MSU or OSU. They are looking to be a tough out at the moment. Heck, I could honestly see them beating both because when they are 'on' they can play well enough to win vs either of those teams. MSU may have used up all their luck, energy, and focus and not be mentally ready for the game next week. As for OSU, they play MSU the week after Purdue so it could be a trap game for them.

This year it just really feels like anything can happen.

Purdue could very well beat MSU. Looking at the stats posted on ESPN they have a passing offense (averaging 307 passing yrds/game). They will likely light up MSU with their passing game. Will MSU be able to keep them out of the endzone? Purdue's rushing game looks pretty abysmal though. Their defense doesn't look bad (average 174 rushing and 139.5 passing, compared to 300 and 124 for MSU). If they can limit Walker and avoid turnovers, Purdue could well win this game.

The equipment escalation continues. We're in that middle period when the drones are watching, but they aren't yet armed at the local level.

The equipment escalation continues. We're in that middle period when the drones are watching, but they aren't yet armed at the local level.

not against college kids. They're not seen as such low "cannon fodder"... they can't pay their tuition and fees, and later on pay back their student loans with interest if the cops use drones and robot dogs to kill them, or even maim them and break bones.

Back