Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Officical MSU vs ][V][ichigan Game Thread

Yeah, Michigan radio network confirmed Cade was in the tent. We might have known that on the TV broadcast if Gus Johnson wasn't constantly beating off to his own hyperbole.

Call a safer play for the freshman. He had already fumbled. Why wasn?t Haskins in I wonder ?

The first Walker TD was extremely questionable, even he knew he fumbled before crossing the goal line...ball went out the back of the end zone, UM ball at the 20.

IF that call was not able to be overturned, the strip sack TD had zero reason to be overturned...and THAT actually is more than just the 4 points mentioned previously. The score would have been 27-14 at the half instead of 23-14. UM scored the first points of 2nd half to go up 30-14, but it should have been 34-14. And here is where that 4 points becomes more than 4 points. Due to it being 30-14, after MSU scores their next 2 TDs, they went for 2 each time and converted. If the score was 34-14, Tucker does not go for 2 both times and the score becomes 34 28 after those scores instead of 30-30.

UM kicks the FG later to go up 37-28. MSU scores another TD, UM is still up 37-35.

Obviously the game changes in a myriad of other ways, but this scenario is VERY different from the 30-30 game the Refs made it into.

That said, WTF??? How the FUCK does Macdonald repeatedly get called for Illegal Substitution? Despite others wondering why they didn't run more, UM actually ran TOO MUCH, and did not call screens when they should have. MSU is vulnerable against the pass, UM should have passed at a 75% rate, only running when their LBs were playing deep to stop the TE passes. The runs kept getting stuffed, they needed to just keep throwing...and NOT with JJ. Cade had complete control of this game and the Gas running the ball straight into the middle of the D was frustrating to watch. Yes, that is my new nic for him, because that is what he produces...Gastro issues for UM fans with his play calling.

Macdonald was absolutely outcoached. That was bound to happen as he is a rookie DC. He needs a trusted 2nd to help figure out what is going wrong.

So freaking pissed about this game.

Tell me you're a Michigan fan with out telling me you're a Michigan fan

Yeah, it stings.

The Spartans are a really good team. Nobody here thought otherwise. Nobody thought this would be an easy win.

Gotta root for the Spartans to lose twice but they probably won?t. They look better than both PSU and OSU.

They look like they?ll run the table, win the B1G championship and go to the playoffs.

Maybe Cade had to take a piss and stepped into the tent. I hope it was nothing more serious than that. With this information it was understandable that JJ was in there, but in this game he showed that he is not ready to be the starter. Two fumbles, and the first one it looked like he just dropped it. I didn't realize Corum was the back on that second fumble that cost the game. He was already not having a very good game. He and JJ were clearly not on the same page. Neither looked like they realized that there had been a fumble. I guess I can forgive JJ, but Corum should have known better. I don't hold the coaches responsible for that play. Players need to have their head in the game and execute. As it was mentioned in an earlier post, Michigan dominated most of the stats (Total yrds: 552-395, Passing: 406-196, 1st downs 27-20, TOP: 34:50 - 25:10). MSU won the rushing battle (199-146), but it was only by 53 yards. If Corum had a better game that might have been different. Offense moved the ball well, except in the redzone, where a lot of points were left on the board. The defense had breakdowns where Walker went through the line essentially untouched. Also, some crucial calls and no calls by the officiating crew didn't help Michigan. One positive take away from this game is that Cade can put together a competent passing game, though he overthrew open receivers down field on at least a couple of occasions (ex. that flea flicker which should have been an easy TD). The emergence of Andrel Anthony was another positive from this game. I am still holding out hope for wins vs PSU and OSU, and for MSU to lose to both of those teams.

Last edited:
Maybe Cade had to take a piss and stepped into the tent. I hope it was nothing more serious than that. With this information it was understandable that JJ was in there, but in this game he showed that he is not ready to be the starter. Two fumbles, and the first one it looked like he just dropped it. I didn't realize Corum was the back on that second fumble that cost the game. He was already not having a very good game. He and JJ were clearly not on the same page. Neither looked like they realized that there had been a fumble. I guess I can forgive JJ, but Corum should have known better. I don't hold the coaches responsible for that play. Players need to have their head in the game and execute. As it was mentioned in an earlier post, Michigan dominated most of the stats (Total yrds: 552-395, Passing: 406-196, 1st downs 27-20, TOP: 34:50 - 25:10). MSU won the rushing battle (199-146), but it was only by 53 yards. If Corum had a better game that might have been different. Offense moved the ball well, except in the redzone, where a lot of points were left on the board. The defense had breakdowns where Walker went through the line essentially untouched. Also, some crucial calls and no calls by the officiating crew didn't help Michigan. One positive take away from this game is that Cade can put together a competent passing game, though he overthrew open receivers down field on at least a couple of occasions (ex. that flea flicker which should have been an easy TD). The emergence of Andrel Anthony was another positive from this game. I am still holding out hope for wins vs PSU and OSU, and for MSU to lose to both of those teams.

I like our teens chances at PSU, which looks like they?re not really that good of a team, and also to finally get over the hump against OSU who looks like they might not be quite as good as they normally have been lately.

I don?t think the Spartans will lose twice if at all.

If Michigan can win out and finally beat the buckeyes, I?ll see it as progress.

That would certainly be better than anything anyone on this board was predicting.

Last edited:
B1G Tie Breaker

We M fans will fairly likely be finding ourselves in the very unusual situation of having to root for the Buckeyes to win a game.

Should all of M, MSU and OSU finish 11-1, it looks like it would come down to a random draw.

Last edited:
B1G Tie Breaker

We M fans will fairly likely be finding ourselves in the very unusual situation of having to root for the Buckeyes to win a game.

Should all of M, MSU and OSU finish 11-1, it looks like it would come down to a random draw.

OSU can't finish 11-1 if michigan does. I assume first tie breaker is overall record, eliminating OSU, followed by head to head, eliminating Michigan. That is assuming osu beats MSU and Michigan beats OSU.

If Michigan wins out MSU has to lose 2 games. It's that simple.

Right. Except actually it isn?t. If Michigan wins out and the buckeyes Pete the Spartans you would have a three-way tie with no clear cut tiebreaker. According to the link I posted, they would literally be a lot draw to pick the representative.

OSU can't finish 11-1 if michigan does. I assume first tie breaker is overall record, eliminating OSU, followed by head to head, eliminating Michigan. That is assuming osu beats MSU and Michigan beats OSU.

My bad.

All three would be 8-1 in conference.

You assumed wrong. Overall counts for zero in the tiebreaker. It?s strictly in conference.

I posted the tiebreaker rules in the link you quoted.

It would be as I initially stated - a three-way tie with no clear-cut tiebreaker, If the buckeyes been to Spartans, Michigan beats the buckeyes, and there are no additional loss is amongst the three.

EDIT: My bad again - over record wouldn?t be the first step in the tie breaker, but it might be the last before the coin toss or whatever. I don?t know what ?exempted games? in step seven means.

It?s a pretty complicated formula and I had to read it a second time to catch that.

Last edited:
Right. Except actually it isn?t. If Michigan wins out and the buckeyes Pete the Spartans you would have a three-way tie with no clear cut tiebreaker. According to the link I posted, they would literally be a lot draw to pick the representative.

Wrong, Sparty has to have 2 losses and Michigan wins head to head with OSU. That is only route for Michigan .

No formula needed

Last edited:
Wrong, Sparty has to have 2 losses and Michigan wins head to head with OSU. That is only route for Michigan .

No formula needed

Cool.

If there?s no formula needed, why is there one?

I posted a link to the formula provided by the B1G itself in #288.

Tell me what part of the formula supports that you are unequivocally right.

Because between the formula and you telling me there?s no formula needed, I?m going to believe the formula provided literally from the B1G itself.

And it?s kinda unclear in the formula the tie break amongst three teams whose record is .500 amongst each other, i.e, paper beat rock, rock beat scissors, and scissors best paper, as there would if be the buckeyes beat the Spartans and the Wolverines beat the buckeyes and all three teams win the rest of the other games.

EDIT: In 2015, there was exactly the same potential scenario we?re seeing now. Nobody was talking about the Spartans needing to lose twice after they beat Michigan that here.

Last edited:
Cool.

Because between the formula and you telling me there?s no formula needed, I?m going to believe the formula provided literally from the B1G itself.

And it?s kinda unclear in the formula the tie break amongst three teams whose record is .500 amongst each other, i.e, paper beat rock, rock beat scissors, and scissors best paper, as there would if be the buckeyes beat the Spartans and the Wolverines beat the buckeyes and all three teams win the rest of the other games.

EDIT: In 2015, there was exactly the same potential scenario we?re seeing now. Nobody was talking about the Spartans needing to lose twice after they beat Michigan that here.

Here is what found T. Not sure it helps . Looks complicated. If three teams end up tied and they beat each other like you said think since Osu lost to Oregon it would eliminated them once they meet that criteria in the tie-breaking procedures. Then it reverts back to head to head which we sadly lose.

https://bigten.org/documents/2021/8/27/2021_Big_Ten_Football_Tiebreakers.pdf

An interesting wildcard is Purdue. It is possible they win vs either MSU or OSU. They are looking to be a tough out at the moment. Heck, I could honestly see them beating both because when they are 'on' they can play well enough to win vs either of those teams. MSU may have used up all their luck, energy, and focus and not be mentally ready for the game next week. As for OSU, they play MSU the week after Purdue so it could be a trap game for them.

This year it just really feels like anything can happen.

Here is what found T. Not sure it helps . Looks complicated. If three teams end up tied and they beat each other like you said think since Osu lost to Oregon it would eliminated them once they meet that criteria in the tie-breaking procedures. Then it reverts back to head to head which we sadly lose.

https://bigten.org/documents/2021/8/27/2021_Big_Ten_Football_Tiebreakers.pdf

Well, that may be.

But like you say, the tie breaking is complicated and it would be the last measure, not the first.

We?ll see.

EDIT: According to mgoblog - you guys are more familiar with it than I am - the tiebreak in a three-way tie scenario we are talking about favors Ohio State, although Michigan still has a chance.

Not a great chance, but a chance.

So, it?s not as simple as ?Sparty has to lose twice, it?s that simple, no formula needed.?

Last edited:
Cool.

Because it was my understanding that if they are all tied up, OSU is automatically eliminated because of the loss to Oregon. Then it comes down to MSU and Michigan and Michigan would need MSU to have a 2nd loss to advance. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

Because it was my understanding that if they are all tied up, OSU is automatically eliminated because of the loss to Oregon. Then it comes down to MSU and Michigan and Michigan would need MSU to have a 2nd loss to advance. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

I read the rules and looked it up. Before it would get to that, it would be the record of teams each team played in the other division.

In #298, I posted a link to mgoblog that breaks it down pretty well ? I don?t read that blog much but it?s supposed to be pretty good, according to other posters here, I think the guy?s name is Brian and he lives in breathes Michigan sports. Maybe he?s independently wealthy and has time to do all that, I don?t know. Maybe he makes a good living off the blog. Maybe he?s married to a supermodel with real low self-esteem.

All three teams have or will have played one win Nebraska. Taking Nebraska out of the equation, the buckeyes opponents have seven wins and the Spartans and Michigan?s opponents have four wins as of now. Michigan and the Spartans have Northwestern in common and the buckeyes and the Spartans have or will have Purdue in common.

Outside that, Michigan has Wisconsin and the buckeyes have Minnesota.

Michigan is probably not going to win that tiebreak scenario, but it is still a possibility.

Purdue has been playing pretty well. MSU goes on the road against them and possibly the Spartans will stumble against them off the big win and lose and then lose to Ohio State.

Then, ?all? Michigan would have to do would be to beat Penn State on the road and Ohio State at home, and win the other two games.

I would prefer that.

The Spartans have certainly looked really good and it?s easy to be down on Michigan right now, but I can never give up on Michigan football until the doctor calls time of death and puts on the toe tag.

Then it?s on to basketball.

Last edited:
Back