Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers trade for Austin Meadows

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2022/06/28/watercooler-wednesday-43/
WATERCOOLER WEDNESDAY.
Totally Tigers

Today, another opportunity for readers to discuss the hottest topics in a forum where thoughtful dialog and a variety of opinions are welcomed.

Let?s create some running conversational threads. And for those of you still going into offices, here?s a question to take with you ? or use via Zoom calls ? as you talk to your co-workers.

Here is today?s hot topic:

Isaac Paredes and Jeimer Candelario were acquired by the Tigers in exchange for Justin Wilson and Alex Avila back in 2017. Paredes made his debut in 2020 at the age of 21, starting just 30 games. But he did well in the Winter Leagues, winning a batting title.

He played fewer games last year and struggled. But he was also only 22.

Before the season started, the Tigers traded him and a draft prospect to the Rays for Austin Meadows, who has spent most of this season on the IL with various health issues.

This week, Isaac was named AL Player of the Week. He has hit 10 HRs, driven in 21 RBIs (in 34 games) and has a .927 OPS. Meadows has yet to hit a HR as a Tiger and has played in only 36 games.

If Paredes had stayed with the team, and assuming that his offensive skills are not different between the two teams, he would be the best hitter on the team in Detroit.

The Rays have a reputation of making outstanding trades that benefit them and the ability to correctly spot and evaluate talent. Paredes is only 23 and has 4 more years of team control after this year.

Did the Tigers get fleeced on this trade? Should they have seen this coming?

Or is this merely a fluke? Will he come back down to earth?

Did the Tigers give up on him too soon? Has he finally evolved as a hitter? Did the Rays have something to do with his improved plate performance?
What do you think about this trade?

What do you think about the Isaac Paredes trade?

1. The Tigers made another bad trade.

2. No one could have known how this would have turned out.

3. Too soon to tell.

4. It was a good move by the Tigers.

VOTE

Trade update 07/06/2022

Paredes
43 games, 13 HR, .902 OPS

Meadows
36 Games, 0 HR, .675 OPS

from this article https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...inch-tampa-bay-rays-isaac-paredes/7820408001/

AJ Hinch clueless as to what is going on

""No. 1, we knew Isaac Paredes was a good player. He had never hit for power," Tigers manager AJ Hinch said Wednesday morning during his weekly appearance on the "Stoney and Jansen" show on 97.1 The Ticket. "That, to me, is the curiosity. What did they unlock? He looks like he's launching to left field way more than I saw here. ... Even some of the balls last year with us, he'd swing as hard as he could and hit the ball to the warning track. For whatever reason, he didn't barrel balls and didn't get balls over 100 mph."

This is funny too

After a recent home run in Toronto, video circulated on social media caught someone yelling from the Rays' dugout: "The Tigers are f------ idiots."

Trade update 07/06/2022

Paredes
43 games, 13 HR, .902 OPS

Meadows
36 Games, 0 HR, .675 OPS

After a recent home run in Toronto, video circulated on social media caught someone yelling from the Rays' dugout: "The Tigers are f------ idiots."

I posted this a few days ago, and I hate when this happens and all too regularly with players improving after leaving Detroit.

I think it's too early on Paredes. Remember Big Red? Even Baddoo. some guys start hot with home runs but its hard to maintain. I'll wait and see.

I think it's too early on Paredes. Remember Big Red? Even Baddoo. some guys start hot with home runs but its hard to maintain. I'll wait and see.

for sure. but, the opposite is sometimes true as well. A player isn't very good early in their professional career and something clicks and they take off.

But I'm with you...time will tell.

reading this article and it appears that he has just changed his approach at the plate. It sounds like he was a slap hitter trying to use all fields and now he is trying to pull the ball more often. Also noted that he is swinging at more pitches up in the zone so he can hit more fly balls. This really isn't a player development issue but a philosophy / coaching issue.

https://www.draysbay.com/2022/5/24/23137830/isaac-paredes-has-a-new-approach-in-tampa-bay

I was out of town and wasn't keeping up with your Tigers notes.

Yeah, not that Tom, about the players leaving after less than inspiring numbers and then the team they are traded to turn said players into sluggers.

Tigers outfielder Austin Meadows is expected to be pulled off his rehab assignment. Soreness in left and right Achilles tendons.

He won't return until after the All-Star break.

"I think we're going to have to stop his rehab and start over," Hinch said.

Tigers outfielder Austin Meadows is expected to be pulled off his rehab assignment. Soreness in left and right Achilles tendons.

He won't return until after the All-Star break.

"I think we're going to have to stop his rehab and start over," Hinch said.

What a cluster fuck!

I was just listening to MLB radio and they were talking about the Rays and how they have been playing so I decided to see how our boy Paredes was doing.

18 HR, 40 RBI, .759 OPS, 2.4 WAR

Tigers leader in these three categories is Baez

12 HR, 52 RBI, 1.8 WAR

Only player with a higher OPS than Paredes is Dustin Garneau with a .764

I see that Eugenio Suarez is playing for Seattle. He had 4 HRs for the Tigers and then 220 in the 7 years since they traded him, including 31 this year.

I wonder if we are going to look back on Paredes' career and see he hit 2 HRs for the Tigers and go on to be a pretty decent power hitter for other teams?

He is up to 20 for TB this year.

As of Saturday April 8, Tigers outfielder Austin Meadows has been placed on the 10-day injured list with anxiety.

Akil Baddoo has been recalled from Triple-A Toledo.

Tampa found a perfect Patsy in Avila. They saw him coming like so many organizations prior saw him coming. The average fan saw that the shithook known as Al Avila was incompetent 5 years ago. Chis Illitch finally recognized it 5 years too late?& after he let him oversee another draft & trade deadline.
Avila had no business holding that job other than as a temp for the remainder of 2015. Jordan Z. signing alone was cause for firing after 2016.

What did the Rays know and when did they know it!
The Rays are too savvy not to know about this issue. This is part of their modus operandi.

https://motorcitybengals.com/posts/...y-from-team-again-due-to-anxiety-01gxh6h42j1j
Detroit Tigers: Austin Meadows steps away from team again due to anxiety.
MCBTB

https://www.mlb.com/tigers/news/austin-meadows-placed-on-injured-list-with-anxiety
Meadows placed on IL as he deals with anxiety.
Tigers official site

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...on-il-akil-baddoo-up-from-toledo/70095537007/
Tigers' Meadows battling anxiety, placed on IL, Baddoo up from Toledo.
Detnews

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...stin-meadows-steps-aside-anxiety/11629123002/
Detroit Tigers' Austin Meadows steps away from team again due to mental health struggles.
Freep

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/04/tigers-place-austin-meadows-on-10-day-injured-list.html
Tigers Place Austin Meadows On 10-Day Injured List.
MLBTR

Last edited:
Not to be insensitive, but can we get this guy an emotional support teddy bear or something. for f sakes, how much pressure could there actually be when you play for this team? if they win 50 games this year they will have overachieved.

Not to be insensitive, but can we get this guy an emotional support teddy bear or something. for f sakes, how much pressure could there actually be when you play for this team? if they win 50 games this year they will have overachieved.

I doubt his unfortunate situation has anything to do with his profession.

I'm sure its real to some and not to make light of it but come on.. You make lots of money playing a game .. If its a home issue say its a home issue (and I don't know if it is). I guess it's just easier to say anxiety. It's the in word.

I was just listening to MLB radio and they were talking about the Rays and how they have been playing so I decided to see how our boy Paredes was doing.

18 HR, 40 RBI, .759 OPS, 2.4 WAR

Tigers leader in these three categories is Baez

12 HR, 52 RBI, 1.8 WAR

Only player with a higher OPS than Paredes is Dustin Garneau with a .764
Having a nice start to the season but last year he hit .. 205. Power sure but I get no excitement over . 205.

Back