Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. twins Game Thread August 27

Easiest save of the year for Valverde.. Put the booze and Tums down!!! Good win today and JV with his 20th!!

Valverde 9th inning,

f'nhughes strike call, splitter low, fastball outside, fastball off the corner, swings and misses a fastball full count, fastball fouled back, foul pop and wind brings it back a few feet and Inge has it,

f'nrepko fastball strike call, fly to right center and Jackson tells mudhen to back off and makes the catch,

f'nbutera fastball inside, pop to Cabrera,

Tigers win 6 - 4,
Justin Verlander wins his 20th, Congratulations to JV.
Valverde with the save,
Tigers Victory Cigar.

Lineup and BP did a nice job picking JV up today after the Twins got to him a bit.

Nice team win.

Bottom Line 5-1 on this road trip!!! Verlander gets his 20th and Valverde is 39-39.

This week was Cleveland's chance to get back in it and we win 5 out of 6 on the road as they struggle on their home stand vs Seattle. Good chance tomorrow to sweep.

hellifino said:
hellifino said:
if Valverde blows this http://lmgtfy.com/?q=southwestairlines wanna get away?

wtf was wrong with this, to get another -1 on the Karma. yes I realize that he has 38 straight saves and don't deserve this, but hey it's JV going for his 20th.

There are a few out there who smite people whenever they can.

I had 13 Karma like 36 hours ago, but jokes on whoever, cause I don;t give a fuck about Karma, nobody should.

MI_Thumb said:
hellifino said:
wtf was wrong with this, to get another -1 on the Karma. yes I realize that he has 38 straight saves and don't deserve this, but hey it's JV going for his 20th.

I had 13 Karma like 36 hours ago, but jokes on whoever, cause I don;t give a fuck about Karma, nobody should.

No doubt. I don't understand it. Facebook people I suppose :)

MI_Thumb said:
hellifino said:

yep, what comes around, goes around

hellifino said:
MI_Thumb said:

yep, what comes around, goes around

Well if I see a really good post, or someone makes a good point in a discussion, I'll +1 them, but I don't really smite anyone, because there is no point.

If I object to something someones posts, I'm man enough to call them out to their face, I don;t sit back and smite then giggle to myself how bad I just owned them.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Come on thumb you have a school girl giggle when you smite :)

You're trying to goad me into smiting you, but I'm not taking the bait. :-*

Karma is useless and it seems more than likely that the more you care about it, the less people are going to be willing to vote you up. In any case, that's of little relevance to this thread.

This is the first game since the 28-Out that I've actually been upset by an ump. It seemed like Verlander wasn't getting any love on his curveball. And there were a few corner fastballs I expected to go his way as well.

Maybe I was just hyped for what I thought could be a good chance for a no-hitter or I'm just expecting Verlander to be operating under Michael Jordan rules. But it seemed like his pitch count got driven up in the early innings by phantom balls on things that could have been strikeouts and then there being a few fouls and/or a walk after the fact.

It was just altogether frustrating.

Congrats to JV regardless.

14 games over .500 and +15 run differential.

Finally feeling like we are a deserving playoff team.

A 7 game lead does not hurt either.

Let's finish this shit strong, and carry momentum into September.

This is the first game since the 28-Out that I've actually been upset by an ump. It seemed like Verlander wasn't getting any love on his curveball. And there were a few corner fastballs I expected to go his way as well.

Maybe I was just hyped for what I thought could be a good chance for a no-hitter or I'm just expecting Verlander to be operating under Michael Jordan rules. But it seemed like his pitch count got driven up in the early innings by phantom balls on things that could have been strikeouts and then there being a few fouls and/or a walk after the fact.

Good point. JV 'was getting squeezed' by the ump and it is upsetting when a strike above the gameday k zone line at the bottom or inside either vertical line isn't called a strike. This ump was not good early on, then Verlander talked to him between innings and it improved for 1 maybe 2 more innings, and then the ump went back to a small zone.
But the main thing is with all that and how it might have affected him and the back to back homeruns, first time JV has allowed the bottom of the order hitters to do that, always 2/3/4 hitters before, Tigers got the win and he got his 20th win.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]
Good point. JV 'was getting squeezed' by the ump and it is upsetting when a strike above the gameday k zone line at the bottom or inside either vertical line isn't called a strike. This ump was not good early on, then Verlander talked to him between innings and it improved for 1 maybe 2 more innings, and then the ump went back to a small zone.
But the main thing is with all that and how it might have affected him and the back to back homeruns, first time JV has allowed the bottom of the order hitters to do that, always 2/3/4 hitters before, Tigers got the win and he got his 20th win.
Yeah. That replay of him reacting to a call saying "No. No way." was exactly what I thought at the time. My thoughts had more fucking expletives though.

But the 20 is what matters most, even if it wasn't pretty or particularly personal. The Cy Young is his to lose. Hopefully this is as close as he'll come to losing it.

interiminequities said:
Karma is useless and it seems more than likely that the more you care about it, the less people are going to be willing to vote you up. In any case, that's of little relevance to this thread.

Well that's probably not how JV drew it up but it's number 20 nonentheless. A win is a win is a win. Especially in August/September. Now I become a Royals and Mariners fan for the evening. I would love the sweep tomorrow to put the Twinkies squarely in last place. It would be great to see them finish in the cellar...

Wow, what a day for Justin Verlander and the Tigers organization. Huge congrats go to JV, first Tiger pitcher in 20 years to win 20 games. Hope he can finish the regular season strong and lead us into the playoffs as our ace and probably Cy Young winner.

Yeah I think they said it was Valverde 500th appearance i relief or something like that ...

Back