Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

To any atheists out there...

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Adam, what? You can say that because well, you're not religious.

Just because I'm not religious doesn't me I don't understand it. I actually happen to think the bible is nice story, but that is the extent of it, a story.

adam86107 said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Adam, what? You can say that because well, you're not religious.

Just because I'm not religious doesn't me I don't understand it. I actually happen to think the bible is nice story, but that is the extent of it, a story.

Just saying its easy for someone not believing in God to say "We'd be better off without religious". Because, well, you wouldn't miss it. Eh?

uh oh... thread about to degenerate into a religious flamewar in 3... 2... 1...

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
adam86107 said:

Just saying its easy for someone not believing in God to say "We'd be better off without religious". Because, well, you wouldn't miss it. Eh?

What I'm saying is that religion tends to bring on hatred in the world.

adam86107 said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]

So I have more hatred than you?

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
adam86107 said:

haha no, I'm talking about the hatred that comes from all the different religions in the world. I mean look at how many wars have been fought and how much violence has been brought about just because of religious indifference.

adam86107 said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]

haha no, I'm talking about the hatred that comes from all the different religions in the world. I mean look at how many wars have been fought and how much violence has been brought about just because of religious indifference.

I would think it's stupid rather than religion ;-). No religion and we might have the same or worse, no way to tell.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
[quote="Monster ":4x5pb1wy]

yeah my wife's family is deeply catholic and always try to drag me to church on christmas. It's hard to come up with an excuse every year not to go. But, this year, if they ask, I don't need an excuse.

Yeah that conversation is going to go well ;-). When in-laws are involved they have a big to do about their son or daughter marrying someone with a different faith let alone no faith at all. [/quote:4x5pb1wy]

you have no idea. my father in law is not only Catholic, he's Mexican-born Catholic....which is probably 1,000,000 times worse.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]
[quote="Mitch":060le86z]

Yeah that conversation is going to go well ;-). When in-laws are involved they have a big to do about their son or daughter marrying someone with a different faith let alone no faith at all.

you have no idea. my father in law is not only Catholic, he's Mexican-born Catholic....which is probably 1,000,000 times worse.[/quote:060le86z]

Trouble ;-). When my brother, Catholic married another faith -- no big deal but when the wedding was her faith and he eventually switched to her faith, my Mom not too happy. Parents are like that.

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]Agnostics are lazy atheists.

Actually that's not true.

If a person is skeptical that there's a creative power it's not logical to be also skeptical that there isn't one.

Agnostics are former atheists who have thought it out one step ahead.

Monster you could just tell them that you practice the Yule but do it on the day of the Traditional American Yule Observation Day of December 25th.

And - that would also actually be true.

When the Romans established Christianity as the official religion of the empire in around 400, it was relatively simple to replace the pagan solstice celebrations like the Yule and the Saturnalian with a celebration of the birth of Jesus, who Christianity obviously holds as the Christ (that's kind of a Greek bastardization of the Hebrew word for the meaning of the "Messiah" but we won't get into that too much here).

Most of the "symbols" of Christmas that we observe have fuck all to do with Jesus but actually are tied to the ancient pagan celebrations.

And if they're Catholic, you could tell your in laws that Catholicism is nothing but a pagan and satanic polytheistic and idolotrous cult anyway that is direct violation of the first two commandments.

Or maybe you could try it MichChamp's way first.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]
[quote="Danny Diggler":wa95gbhf]Agnostics are lazy atheists.

Actually that's not true.

If a person is skeptical that there's a creative power it's not logical to be also skeptical that there isn't one.

[/quote:wa95gbhf]

Is god logical? No.

Would I like to believe? Yes.

It's too cold of a thought not to have some sort of life after death.

I'm too lazy to commit to any of it so I just leave it at that.

<Catholic walks into a message board thread>
Hi atheists, how's it going?
<Sees the religion drives war argument starting>
Goodnight everybody!

Tax a church on all the money they bring in and watch how "religious" they are. Bunch of corrupt fucks and nothing more. Well, theyre child fuckers too but thats besides the point.

One of 2 things will happen to the universe:

1) galaxies will continue to drift apart. eventually it will be too cold to create new stars. Old stars will die out. Life everywhere no longer exists.

2) Galaxies after hundreds of billions of years of expansion begin to contract into a single point. Life everywhere no longer exists.

Either way...god sucks.

mhughes0021 said:
Tax a church on all the money they bring in and watch how "religious" they are. Bunch of corrupt fucks and nothing more. Well, theyre child fuckers too but thats besides the point.

One of 2 things will happen to the universe:

1) galaxies will continue to drift apart. eventually it will be too cold to create new stars. Old stars will die out. Life everywhere no longer exists.

2) Galaxies after hundreds of billions of years of expansion begin to contract into a single point. Life everywhere no longer exists.

Either way...god sucks.

Looks like not hanging around was the right move for me last night.

I am religious, I will not deny the Lord.

However I am not touching this.

In an effort to un-hijack this thread I'll throw in my 2 cents. An atheist or a non-religious agnostic celebrating Christmas or Easter as a holiday where the focus is family is better in my book than a religious person celebrating Christmas or Easter focusing on material things. I've been pushing my family to quit giving presents at Christmas or knock it back to just 1 gift. Everyone likes the idea, but nobody seems to want to break tradition.

Red and Guilty said:
In an effort to un-hijack this thread I'll throw in my 2 cents. An atheist or a non-religious agnostic celebrating Christmas or Easter as a holiday where the focus is family is better in my book than a religious person celebrating Christmas or Easter focusing on material things. I've been pushing my family to quit giving presents at Christmas or knock it back to just 1 gift. Everyone likes the idea, but nobody seems to want to break tradition.

yeah, that's kinda what it's boiled down to in my family: the holidays are the only time most of us get time off to see eachother. I never buy anyone presents, but I always bring the host a bottle of something nice & I send cards or letters.

I can understand people who admit they don't buy into the literal interpretation of the bible or 100% of the doctrine of whatever religion they adhere to, but still belong because it has a calming effect, it's about family, &/or it's more of a tradition for them. I can respect that.

What I don't respect are people that force their religion on others, through prayer in public school, prayer in public arenas, asserting their beliefs be taught as though they were fact. and these people are so brainwashed, they can't understand that it's THEM violating people's right to be free from their beliefs, not the other way around.

Back