Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Trade Rumors Castellanos to Cubs, Greene to Braves - signs with the Reds now Phillies

He is in fire. Wish the Tigers had a smaller ballpark. Not sure why I said that lol.

Not uncommon for a good hitter on a bad team, to up his game by being traded to a contender for awhile, if not for the rest of the season (and postseason).

Nicky is also still playing for his upcoming FA, and he may believe that the Cubs might decide to try to keep him if he contributes to their winning a division title.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/08/tigers-select-travis-demerittes-contract.html
Tigers Select Travis Demeritte?s Contract.
MLBTR

The Tigers have selected the contract of outfielder Travis Demeritte from Triple-A Toledo, as per a team announcement. Righty Eduardo Jimenez has also been called up from Toledo.

Demeritte is set for his big league debut just a day after joining the Tigers.

Can someone explain WAR to me? I see Demeritte is currently at -0.1 WAR.

His numbers look decent to me currently, BA .283, OBP .370, SLG .457

I know those aren't all star numbers but seems better than replacement level. I know it has something to do with position but still seems like he is hitting well. Is he that much of a hack in the field? Please help me.

I know those aren't all star numbers but seems better than replacement level. I know it has something to do with position but still seems like he is hitting well. Is he that much of a hack in the field? Please help me.

+.2 Offensive WAR
-.4 Defensive WAR

So, yes, he is THAT bad in RF.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/demertr01-bat.shtml

WAR is very volatile in small samples.

BR and Fangraphs use different measurements for WAR.

https://library.fangraphs.com/misc/war/

Demeritte is not fairing well defensively, but that is based on a small sample. It should normalize the more he plays.

Good number to look at now Rdrs/yr which is -30. Defensive runs saved above average per 1200 innings. Nick with Detroit before traded -9 for comparison sake. But it's early.

Nick doesn't owe this writer or any fans a thing. He was a good tiger and a good teammate by all accounts. I wish he would've went all in on this fair weather fan base.

Nick doesn't owe this writer or any fans a thing. He was a good tiger and a good teammate by all accounts. I wish he would've went all in on this fair weather fan base.

Fair weather. You do realize this teams stinks and they still get over 19,000 a game? And watch every game. That's not fair weather.

Fair weather. You do realize this teams stinks and they still get over 19,000 a game? And watch every game. That's not fair weather.

Baltimore, Tampa and Miami are the only teams under 19k. Like I said, fair weather

Baltimore, Tampa and Miami are the only teams under 19k. Like I said, fair weather

That doesn't mean fair weather. What team, especially middle markets, fan base at games doesn't drop a bit during the rough years. It's better than the 2003 year. TB and Miami aren't fair weather either, its just two teams playing in the wrong state.

Last edited:
I don't really care about any other teams but I do tend to follow how certain ex-Tigers are doing...especially the ones that are traded away.

Why when there is already a thread dedicated to the players we were trading?

Maybe because he's been traded already.. Maybe I just don't care to think about players who are no longer here..

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2019/08/27/the-trade-track-record/
THE TRADE TRACK RECORD.
Totally Tigers

Let?s face it, we?re keeping track. Even if they are no longer wearing the Old English D, we?re keeping track. Some of us because of loyalty and fan favorites. Some of us out of curiosity. And some, because we want to gauge the skills of those in the Front Office. After all, if the team is rebuilding, they have to accurately judge the talent before they acquire it.

We generally point to a couple of high-profile players as our proof. But what about the overall number of trades made? How did the Tigers do overall in trading away their top talent?

In other words, how did these players do after they left the Tigers? Did we get an equal return on the talent that left?

Sure, there are a number of factors to consider. Players end up with other teams that offer them better chances of hitting with runners on base. Other teams have established and advanced analytics and hi-tech tools that make training more effective. Ballparks can also be a factor, as can better coaches. And let?s face it, you can be more productive by simply moving to a team not mired in extreme losing and low energy.

Let?s look at those who have been traded since Dave Dombrowski?s last days. We?ll focus on the players with higher profiles and eliminate those who were with the team for a year or less. We?ll also ignore the multiple players who were simply released ? Joe Nathan, Francisco Rodriguez, Bruce Rondon and others ? due to age or personal factors.

And in this exercise, we?re not going to necessarily emphasize the returns the Tigers received for each player traded. In many cases, the prospects have not yet made their mark or the jury is still out. Let?s focus on what each former Tiger brought to the table for their new team. What was received in return will be considered, as will salary.

Great move? Bad move? Or sideways move? It?s all here below.

(Any stats used are current through Monday, August 26th.)

Back