Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tucker, 10 years, $95 Million

so you're saying Mel's gonna put up these numbers every year? Is 9-3 his floor? Even Brady Hoke went 11-2 one year. He still has get into the top 20 in recruiting consistently and develop players consistently. That's not going to be easy when we're competing with 3 national brands in our own division. If you think 9-3 being Tucker's ceiling is outside the realm of possibility, you're simply out of your mind.

I know you're always drinking the kool aid and that's fine - and I'm not saying he's going to be the next Brady Hoke, but let's see if he can do the same thing with the defensive secondary and o-line that he's done to the training table menu before we say nearly $10mm/yr is the right number. What he wants and what he's going to get aren't necessarily the same thing - even with all the money behind him, it's an uphill battle.

Tucker's ceiling at MSU is a national title, he believes that and that's why he stayed. Floor, 2-5 obviously. There will be some growing pains, and he did strike it rich with Kenneth Walker, but there's been improvement in our personnel across the board, even the putrid defense is more talented than better ones before it.

LSU was offering Tucker 10 years and $95 Million, MSU matched it to keep him. If we hadn't have matched, we'd be up shit creek right now competing with Notre Dame and Oklahoma for our next coach and ending up with some MAC guy with no cache.

Tucker's ceiling at MSU is a national title, he believes that and that's why he stayed. Floor, 2-5 obviously. There will be some growing pains, and he did strike it rich with Kenneth Walker, but there's been improvement in our personnel across the board, even the putrid defense is more talented than better ones before it.

LSU was offering Tucker 10 years and $95 Million, MSU matched it to keep him. If we hadn't have matched, we'd be up shit creek right now competing with Notre Dame and Oklahoma for our next coach and ending up with some MAC guy with no cache.

Technically, sure but that's everyone's ceiling. From my point of view, Tucker's ceiling is unknown and $95mm is a ton of money for an unknown, especially when they didn't put in a buyout clause. If he goes 10-2 or 9-3 with another mediocre team in terms of talent, he could easily get bid away. The only silver lining is he's already here and once OK and ND hire new coaches, there won't likely be a ton of high profile job openings next couple years.

Not sure which "better" defenses this one has more talent than unless you're only counting marginally better defenses from the last few years of the Dantonio era. And I'm not talking about recruiting stars - especially for juniors and seniors. I don't give any credit at all for Kimbrough and Williams being 4 star guys 3 or 4 years ago. Those stars are less than meaningless and both those guys suck, plain and simple.

Last edited:
Looks like the Freep won their FOIA lawsuit against MSU/Ishbia/St. Andre (link).

Those big shots' ended up only paying $24 MM out of the $95MM of Tucker's total salary package, and so MSU is on the hook for $71MM. And probably more than that, since St. Andre's portion of that isn't binding.

My comments in this thread have aged well... everyone's who disagreed with me, did not. As usual.

Looks like the Freep won their FOIA lawsuit against MSU/Ishbia/St. Andre (link).

Those big shots' ended up only paying $24 MM out of the $95MM of Tucker's total salary package, and so MSU is on the hook for $71MM. And probably more than that, since St. Andre's portion of that isn't binding.

My comments in this thread have aged well... everyone's who disagreed with me, did not. As usual.

?As usual? - thanks for the laugh. No one is more consistently wrong on this board than you (and some of Johnny?s recruiting insiders). So looking at the thread, I guess the posts that didn?t age well would be those from Sgg - another uofm poster. Good job.

?As usual? - thanks for the laugh. No one is more consistently wrong on this board than you (and some of Johnny?s recruiting insiders). So looking at the thread, I guess the posts that didn?t age well would be those from Sgg - another uofm poster. Good job.

so?

Sgg is a good man, but he's not always right, and I don't blindly agree with other Michigan fans or expect them to blindly agree with me.

Hilarious because if MSU would have let him walk I will guarantee the spin would be that MSU is a third world cheapskate program and a stepping stone for coaches to bigger and better jobs.

Again, of course it?s possible this doesn?t work out (based on this season I?m fearing that). However, I?d rather take a swing and miss on the extension than not even take the risk, letting him walk, and then having a lifeless program that doesn?t try to keep up with the Joneses.

Also, if MSU was on the cusp of a national title, I don?t think I?d be obsessed with a rival coaches pay and who is footing what bill. The mind of a Michigan fan is an interesting and confusing thing for sure.

Last edited:
so?

Sgg is a good man, but he's not always right, and I don't blindly agree with other Michigan fans or expect them to blindly agree with me.

So you?re an idiot for gloating and taking victory lap over ?everyone? when everyone equals one person and that person isn?t one of the opposing fan base. I guess if you?re right as infrequently as you are, you have to take what you can get.

bump...

9-3 ceiling? LOL! What's his record this year?

I think it's obvious what happened here with LSU. LSU offered Tucker 10 years and $95M, Tucker told MSU if they matched, he'd stay, MSU got donor money to match. LSU then moved onto Lincoln Riley and offered him the same deal, USC outbid LSU. LSU then offered Brian Kelly the same exact 10 year $95M deal and Kelly took it without giving ND a chance to match. Those numbers can't be a coincidence.

Tucker got paid not just for 10-2, but because what people close to the program see that he's doing everything off the field to build a powerhouse. He's been instrumental in getting donor money for facility upgrades. He's elevated the S&C and nutrition programs. He's building a first rate off the field support staff. It's night and day from what we had before. Tucker knows what a football powerhouse looks like from top to bottom, he's modeling MSU after Georgia and Alabama, he wants us to compete with those programs in every way eventually.

Interesting for a guy who did all that to build a powerhouse program would be "checked out for over year" only 3 years into his contract as J2x2x said in the thread about the investigation.

and bump...

It's a slow Monday...

Edit: to be fair, Tucker hasn't coached in almost 2 months but does anyone think this team would have even a 4th win if he was still around?

Last edited:
bump...

Interesting for a guy who did all that to build a powerhouse program would be "checked out for over year" only 3 years into his contract as J2x2x said in the thread about the investigation.

and bump...

It's a slow Monday...

Edit: to be fair, Tucker hasn't coached in almost 2 months but does anyone think this team would have even a 4th win if he was still around?

I do think we would have beaten either Minnesota or Rutgers if we had Tucker. But it?s a total moot point, because if the team would have looked as bad as it has with Tucker at the helm I?d still want him gone regardless of if they were 4-5 instead of 3-6. Honestly thankful that Mel was a jackass and threw his career aside because I doubt this school would have had the balls to can him with his contract.

I do think we would have beaten either Minnesota or Rutgers if we had Tucker. But it?s a total moot point, because if the team would have looked as bad as it has with Tucker at the helm I?d still want him gone regardless of if they were 4-5 instead of 3-6. Honestly thankful that Mel was a jackass and threw his career aside because I doubt this school would have had the balls to can him with his contract.

I agree, 4 wins with 5 embarrassing losses, 2 more guaranteed ass whippings and another probable loss to come would make no difference.

But I think we?d still be praying for a miracle against IU to get that 4th W. Maybe he cuda pulled something off against Minnie but we lost the Rutgers game in absurdly clownish fashion on piss poor execution, particularly on special teams that I don?t see him making a difference on. I don?t think Tucker?s presence changes the shitty punt snap or makes Henry not run away from the kick.

Maybe there?s a win somewhere else where Tucker doesn?t make some ill advised 4th and short calls and punts instead of giving Johnson and the o-line the opportunity to embarrass the program even more, but I have my doubts.

Back