Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tucker, 10 years, $95 Million

In the case of Tucker it isn't. Boosters gonna boost.

I think it's all in "one pot" as much as college ADs and the NCAA might try to claim athletics pays for itself and is separate.

I know you might argue they'd not otherwise give MSU anything, but I also know one doesn't become a billionaire by being generous... there are probably a lot of details buried in the fine print or that shift the burden of payments over time

I recall Steve Ross' donations to Michigan had some sketchy tax implications that benefitted him and left the university in an awkward position. doubt that was a unique situation

I think it's all in "one pot" as much as college ADs and the NCAA might try to claim athletics pays for itself and is separate.

I know you might argue they'd not otherwise give MSU anything, but I also know one doesn't become a billionaire by being generous... there are probably a lot of details buried in the fine print or that shift the burden of payments over time

I recall Steve Ross' donations to Michigan had some sketchy tax implications that benefitted him and left the university in an awkward position. doubt that was a unique situation

It?s always amusing to read all the shit you make up to push your agenda and rather than just admitting you?re wrong. This one could be one of the best yet.

It?s always amusing to read all the shit you make up to push your agenda and rather than just admitting you?re wrong. This one could be one of the best yet.

Has NJ legalized recreational pot? you should try it. it will be helpful coping with the next 10 years of the Mel Tucker era at MSU.

your angry butt buddy gotime should hit the dispensaries too... would cut down on the mean and nasty trolling on our board everytime MSU loses.

your angry butt buddy gotime should hit the dispensaries too... would cut down on the mean and nasty trolling on our board everytime MSU loses.

whines about getting his feelings hurt by trolls while trolling. People who don't already know how dumb you are might think you're high.

Last edited:
I said before the game that the extension was premature and excessive, I don't think the loss makes that anymore true or obvious and I'm not using it to support my opinion but the timing definitely sucks.

I said before the game that the extension was premature and excessive, I don't think the loss makes that anymore true or obvious and I'm not using it to support my opinion but the timing definitely sucks.

He turned a dumpster fire into a 10 win team in 2 years and he's 2-0 against Michigan. He might not be Saban, but this is the type of move that MSU needed to make to change their job from stepping stone to destination. Congrats, he's a good coach and he's not leaving. Which is a hell of an accomplishment considering the openings.

Would you rather be PSU and just extended Franklin? Woof.

So Adam Schefter reports he was getting NFL interest, and there are/were coaching vacancies at LSU, USC, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, and Florida, and some people are still questioning if this was the right call? If it doesn?t work it doesn?t work. But if it fails I?ll go down swinging with huge potential in Mel as opposed to capping out at 9-3 every year at best with some lifeless bum.

So Adam Schefter reports he was getting NFL interest, and there are/were coaching vacancies at LSU, USC, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, and Florida, and some people are still questioning if this was the right call? If it doesn?t work it doesn?t work. But if it fails I?ll go down swinging with huge potential in Mel as opposed to capping out at 9-3 every year at best with some lifeless bum.

9-3 could be Tucker's ceiling as well - time will tell. I'm not big buyer of the "we had no choice" argument. Watching college athletics becoming even more overly commercialized with NIL and teams or schools becoming the play toys of billionaires is a real turnoff. And not to get political, but when you combine that with all the bullshit that's going on socially and academically, you start to run out of reasons to support these institutions pretty quickly.

Last edited:
9-3 could be Tucker's ceiling as well - time will tell. I'm not big buyer of the "we had no choice" argument. Watching college athletics becoming even more overly commercialized with NIL and teams or schools becoming the play toys of billionaires is a real turnoff. And not to get political, but when you combine that with all the bullshit that's going on socially and academically, you start to run out of reasons to support these institutions pretty quickly.

9-3 ceiling? LOL! What's his record this year?

I think it's obvious what happened here with LSU. LSU offered Tucker 10 years and $95M, Tucker told MSU if they matched, he'd stay, MSU got donor money to match. LSU then moved onto Lincoln Riley and offered him the same deal, USC outbid LSU. LSU then offered Brian Kelly the same exact 10 year $95M deal and Kelly took it without giving ND a chance to match. Those numbers can't be a coincidence.

Tucker got paid not just for 10-2, but because what people close to the program see that he's doing everything off the field to build a powerhouse. He's been instrumental in getting donor money for facility upgrades. He's elevated the S&C and nutrition programs. He's building a first rate off the field support staff. It's night and day from what we had before. Tucker knows what a football powerhouse looks like from top to bottom, he's modeling MSU after Georgia and Alabama, he wants us to compete with those programs in every way eventually.

9-3 ceiling? LOL! What's his record this year?

I think it's obvious what happened here with LSU. LSU offered Tucker 10 years and $95M, Tucker told MSU if they matched, he'd stay, MSU got donor money to match. LSU then moved onto Lincoln Riley and offered him the same deal, USC outbid LSU. LSU then offered Brian Kelly the same exact 10 year $95M deal and Kelly took it without giving ND a chance to match. Those numbers can't be a coincidence.

Tucker got paid not just for 10-2, but because what people close to the program see that he's doing everything off the field to build a powerhouse. He's been instrumental in getting donor money for facility upgrades. He's elevated the S&C and nutrition programs. He's building a first rate off the field support staff. It's night and day from what we had before. Tucker knows what a football powerhouse looks like from top to bottom, he's modeling MSU after Georgia and Alabama, he wants us to compete with those programs in every way eventually.

so you're saying Mel's gonna put up these numbers every year? Is 9-3 his floor? Even Brady Hoke went 11-2 one year. He still has get into the top 20 in recruiting consistently and develop players consistently. That's not going to be easy when we're competing with 3 national brands in our own division. If you think 9-3 being Tucker's ceiling is outside the realm of possibility, you're simply out of your mind.

I know you're always drinking the kool aid and that's fine - and I'm not saying he's going to be the next Brady Hoke, but let's see if he can do the same thing with the defensive secondary and o-line that he's done to the training table menu before we say nearly $10mm/yr is the right number. What he wants and what he's going to get aren't necessarily the same thing - even with all the money behind him, it's an uphill battle.

Last edited:
The craziest thing about all the 10 year contracts is they're not even remotely friendly to the schools. Their side is guranteed while the coaches' sides are all like $2.5MM buyouts. So even though on the surface they're saying they've "Locked in their coaches", they really haven't. If a NFL team calls Tucker or Kelly or Riley in January and they're offering the same money, there's not a lot to stop them from still leaving.

Last edited:
The craziest thing about all the 10 year contracts is they're not even remotely friendly to the schools. Their side is guranteed while the coaches' sides are all like $2.5MM buyouts. So even though on the surface they're saying they've "Locked in their coaches", they really haven't. If a NFL team calls Tucker or Kelly or Riley in January and they're offering the same money, there's not a lot to stop them from still leaving.

Tucker's buyout is reported to be $30mm - presumably that declines over time but I haven't seen or looked for any details, $30mm is the only number I've heard.

I haven't read any of these, but in the past when I looked at CFB coaching contracts, it blew my mind how one-sided they were... and the ones I looked at were AFTER the notorious Charlie Weis ND contract. Kinda figured schools would wise up a bit and put more performance-based terms & outs in them. Instead they seem to believe their own coaches' hype

Back