Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Verlander MVP?

mjsb2 said:
[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]I guess it is how you define Valuable. That is the V in the MVP :)

If you provide more wins to your team than another player, you are more valuable.

It is that simple.

As in more wins then your replacement would. Correct.

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]
mjsb2 said:
If you provide more wins to your team than another player, you are more valuable.

It is that simple.

As in more wins then your replacement would. Correct.

No.

It's an individual award, not a team award.

You could compare them against the same baseline to determine how many more wins one would provide over the other.

Too bad its a team sport. Take production from certain player subtract production from replacement and that gives you value. In the MVP award only the word valuable is a measurement.

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]Too bad its a team sport. Take production from certain player subtract production from replacement and that gives you value. In the MVP award only the word valuable is a measurement.

It's a team sport but an individual award.

And a better player is always more valuable.

Lol, I had something to say, but I completely lost my train of thought when the animated gif right about where I am typing from zoombabyzoom.

And so much is based on the opinion of the word valuable. Bautista has been the best batter this year. He would get my vote as the most valuable, but some voters think that if your team isn't making the playoffs then you can't be the most valuable.

And I would respond to you mjsb, but you posted so many different times, I kinda lost track haha. I think we are mostly saying the same thing.

I think there is some confusion on saying what the award should be, and what the award is.

mjsb2 said:
[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]Too bad its a team sport. Take production from certain player subtract production from replacement and that gives you value. In the MVP award only the word valuable is a measurement.

It's a team sport but an individual award.

And a better player is always more valuable.

No they are not. LOL

mjsb2 said:
jmakula87 said:
Now while I think that JV should be in the MVP talks, I would still have to say that Bautista would get my vote. I know the Blue Jays aren't going anywhere, but his numbers are just ridiculous, especially compared to the rest of the league.

I also think that if the voters are too stubborn to even consider a pitcher for MVP because they have their own award, then they should change the name of the award. (Yes, I know that isn't ever going to happen.) Hmmm MVPP ---most valuable position player. I just think that it is ignorant to say that you wouldn't ever vote for a pitcher when it is your responsibility to vote for the best player.

While an every day player might deserve the award most times, I don't feel like somebody could say that a pitcher never deserves it.

The hitters have their own award too, it's called the Hank Aaron award.

That argument is complete bullshit.

And the CY is a far bigger award than the Hank Aaron award. They aren't really in the same category... nobody says, "Wow, that guy won 6 Hank Aaron awards in his career."

Most of you have hard time defining MVP, not that hard. Most valuable means that a player who plays great on a bad team is not as valuable as the top performer on a great team, who is also not as valuable as the singular player carrying a good team.

Player that means hitters and pitchers.

jmakula87 said:
mjsb2 said:
The hitters have their own award too, it's called the Hank Aaron award.

That argument is complete bullshit.

And the CY is a far bigger award than the Hank Aaron award. They aren't really in the same category... nobody says, "Wow, that guy won 6 Hank Aaron awards in his career."

And that really doesn't matter.

The argument that hitters win the MVP because pitchers have the Cy Young is a BS argument.

There is an award for best hitter just as their is for best pitcher.

Doesn't matter that the Hank Aaron award doesn't receive as much recognition.

The MVP is for the best/most valuable (same thing) between position player and pitchers.

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]Most of you have hard time defining MVP, not that hard. Most valuable means that a player who plays great on a bad team is not as valuable as the top performer on a great team, who is also not as valuable as the singular player carrying a good team.

I have no trouble whatsoever defining MVP.

The best player is always the most valuable, and thus is the MVP.

mjsb2 said:
[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]Most of you have hard time defining MVP, not that hard. Most valuable means that a player who plays great on a bad team is not as valuable as the top performer on a great team, who is also not as valuable as the singular player carrying a good team.

Who is the "best player" then

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]
mjsb2 said:

Who is the "best player" then

Jose Bautista.

Id go with JV.

Bautista in the top 4 hitting departments ranks: AVG - 8th, HR - 1st , RBI - 7th, OBP - 1st
Verlander in the top 4 picthing departments ranks: ERA - 2nd, Wins - 1st, WHIP - 1st, SOs - 1st

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]He is in the top 10, by far the best closer this year.

good, I just bet a guy that he'd be in the top 25 in the voting, he said he had no chance.

ESPN just had a special on the top MVP for the AL, and he was listed in the top 10 (#10 I believe).

mjsb2 said:
jmakula87 said:

And that really doesn't matter.

The argument that hitters win the MVP because pitchers have the Cy Young is a BS argument.

There is an award for best hitter just as their is for best pitcher.

Doesn't matter that the Hank Aaron award doesn't receive as much recognition.

The MVP is for the best/most valuable (same thing) between position player and pitchers.

It wouldn't matter in a perfect world, but where the voters are human, it does matter.

Somebody who is voting is far more likely to say, "Well JV will be getting the CY, so it isn't a big deal if he doesn't get MVP." They won't be saying, "Jose Bautista is getting the Hank Aaron award, so it isn't a big deal if he doesnt get MVP."

I'm not saying I agree with it. That is just how it is.

I've learned one thing from this thread, MJS has no idea what MVP means.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]I've learned one thing from this thread, MJS has no idea what MVP means.

Haha, I hope you didn't waste your time reading through the whole thing :/

Back