Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Verlander MVP?

jmakula87 said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]I've learned one thing from this thread, MJS has no idea what MVP means.

Haha, I hope you didn't waste your time reading through the whole thing :/

Well no but the last page :)

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]I certainly hope he has a good shot. sub .500 team without him.

That's how I see it as well. Not being a homer either.... well maybe a little ;)

As noted, the Tigers would be a sub 500 team without him. Additionally he lost two starts by the score of 1-0 and 2-0. He could be 21-3... chew on that a little.

There will be 28 ballots cast for the AL MVP award

Number two is the reason why some won't vote for a pitcher. It has its merits but we share see.

JV gets my vote. No offensive player is really dominating this year, and JV def is.... Im curious who the players would vote for if they couldnt vote for anyone on their team or players in the opposing league. Writers voting just doesnt do it for me. I cant bring myself to trust a guys opinion on baseball when he throws like girl, prob couldnt hit a slow-pitch softball, and runs a 40 in 2 1/2 mins....

The Verlander for MVP train is picking up some steam. If he can finish the season strong and hold his stats to what they are or even improve on them slightly, he'll have a chance, especially if the Tigers run away with the Central.

johnny2x2x said:
The Verlander for MVP train is picking up some steam. If he can finish the season strong and hold his stats to what they are or even improve on them slightly, he'll have a chance, especially if the Tigers run away with the Central.

Oddly I think JV would get more of a chance if the Tigers barely won the division rather than running away with it.

Nonetheless, I hope the Tigers' smoke those two turkey's behind them.

It is quite possible that the MPV for JV is in the hands of Jared Weaver IMO.
If Jared slips up a couple of starts, and JV overtakes him in ERA, Justin will win the triple crown, and be hands down the best pitcher in the league.
The only way for a pitcher to win MVP is to be head-and-shoulders better than all other hurlers in the league. Right now JV is #1 in wins, K's, WHIP, BAA, innings, and overall dominance. ERA is the only meaningful stat he does not lead the AL in.

If Justin wins the pitching triple crown, I feel he has a great shot at MVP.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
johnny2x2x said:

Oddly I think JV would get more of a chance if the Tigers barely won the division rather than running away with it.

There's nothing odd about it, if the Tigers have a great September and run away with it that clearly makes him less valuable. This has already been scientifically proven by posters above. Get with it.

DR said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]

There's nothing odd about it, if the Tigers have a great September and run away with it that clearly makes him less valuable. This has already been scientifically proven by posters above. Get with it.

You just posted the same idea I posted. Please do us all a favor and go back to the Michigan board. You're out of your element here.

doinwork83 said:
JV gets my vote. No offensive player is really dominating this year, and JV def is.... Im curious who the players would vote for if they couldnt vote for anyone on their team or players in the opposing league. Writers voting just doesnt do it for me. I cant bring myself to trust a guys opinion on baseball when he throws like girl, prob couldnt hit a slow-pitch softball, and runs a 40 in 2 1/2 mins....

How many GMs can hit a slow-pitch softball?

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
DR said:

You just posted the same idea I posted. Please do us all a favor and go back to the Michigan board. You're out of your element here.

Sarcasm.

mjsb2 said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]

Sarcasm.

I don't read sarcasm. At least post a Smiley or something.

:)

Adrian Gonzalez will be the MVP....He has staggering numbers and his team is going to the playoffs

Cabrera will probably finish 2nd. I wish it wasn't gonna be this way, but it's just the way MVP voting goes

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
DR said:

Context clues are your friend.

I think Grandy is the frontrunner right now based on stuff I hear from writers and on the four letter network and MLB

jmakula87 said:
Now while I think that JV should be in the MVP talks, I would still have to say that Bautista would get my vote. I know the Blue Jays aren't going anywhere, but his numbers are just ridiculous, especially compared to the rest of the league.

I also think that if the voters are too stubborn to even consider a pitcher for MVP because they have their own award, then they should change the name of the award. (Yes, I know that isn't ever going to happen.) Hmmm MVPP ---most valuable position player. I just think that it is ignorant to say that you wouldn't ever vote for a pitcher when it is your responsibility to vote for the best player.

While an every day player might deserve the award most times, I don't feel like somebody could say that a pitcher never deserves it.

Wins Above Replacement--all s c a p y
1. Bautista (TOR) 7.9
2. Kemp (LAD) 7.7
3. Verlander (DET) 7.3
4. Braun (MIL) 6.5
Pedroia (BOS) 6.5
6. Weaver (LAA) 6.4
7. Ellsbury (BOS) 6.3
8. Gonzalez (BOS) 6.0
9. Votto (CIN) 5.9
10. Lee (PHI) 5.8

jdeb said:
jmakula87 said:
Now while I think that JV should be in the MVP talks, I would still have to say that Bautista would get my vote. I know the Blue Jays aren't going anywhere, but his numbers are just ridiculous, especially compared to the rest of the league.

I also think that if the voters are too stubborn to even consider a pitcher for MVP because they have their own award, then they should change the name of the award. (Yes, I know that isn't ever going to happen.) Hmmm MVPP ---most valuable position player. I just think that it is ignorant to say that you wouldn't ever vote for a pitcher when it is your responsibility to vote for the best player.

While an every day player might deserve the award most times, I don't feel like somebody could say that a pitcher never deserves it.

Wins Above Replacement--all s c a p y
1. Bautista (TOR) 7.9
2. Kemp (LAD) 7.7
3. Verlander (DET) 7.3
4. Braun (MIL) 6.5
Pedroia (BOS) 6.5
6. Weaver (LAA) 6.4
7. Ellsbury (BOS) 6.3au
8. Gonzalez (BOS) 6.0
9. Votto (CIN) 5.9
10. Lee (PHI) 5.8

If you go by something like this and I think many do, I would think JV makes up that .6 from Bautista and then some being a playoff team over a 4th place team. At least you could see JV in the conversation.

Back