Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Washington & Oregon joining B1G in 2024

I think its stupid. This super conference crap is ruining college football. I get that its all over money, but if the NCAA and the colleges would of just taken care of their players, wed still see some old school rivalries, instead its to compete for the top dollar. Might as well be the NFL 2.0.

I think its stupid. This super conference crap is ruining college football. I get that its all over money, but if the NCAA and the colleges would of just taken care of their players, wed still see some old school rivalries, instead its to compete for the top dollar. Might as well be the NFL 2.0.

I won?t be surprised if the whole thing unravels underneath the pressure of its own weight.

Perhaps they should leave an entity called ?the Pac 12? in existence for everyone to scurry back to once everyone realizes how unsustainable this all really is.

Pac 10 or Pac 12 started to unravel when espn/Disney started its massive layoffs. There was no big TV deal for the conference. Oregon and Washington took a lesser deal to Join the big ten and will still make more money then by staying in the conference. I agree it may just fall apart under its own weight in a few years when the money drys up. If it does. Ncaa landscape is just really weird right now.

Hell I still don?t get nbc yet because of some contract dispute so I may miss some games this year.

Last edited:
Pac 10 or Pac 12 started to unravel when espn/Disney started its massive layoffs. There was no big TV deal for the conference. Oregon and Washington took a lesser deal to Join the big ten and will still make more money then by staying in the conference. I agree it may just fall apart under its own weight in a few years when the money drys up. If it does. Ncaa landscape is just really weird right now.

Hell I still don?t get nbc yet because of some contract dispute so I may miss some games this year.

The Game - now the Saturday after Thanksgiving, formerly the Saturday before Thanksgiving - is, was and will always be the marquee date on the college football calendar.

The B1G owns it - sort of.

More operationally, the schools own it between themselves, and the conference has been - what, a multi-decade functionary - or a centuries long functionary?

The M win at the Shoe made The Game matter again - the pendulum was going
to swing back; it always does - and the conference was in position to pounced and it pounced.

The Game is the singular thing that allows the conference to swing B1G dick.

USC fans already talking shit about how they "own" the Big Ten; I think they do have a winning record vs. every Big Ten team they've played.

I'm sure Harbaugh is secretly really enthusiastic to run the score up on them, like he did at Stanford.

USC fans already talking shit about how they "own" the Big Ten; I think they do have a winning record vs. every Big Ten team they've played.

I'm sure Harbaugh is secretly really enthusiastic to run the score up on them, like he did at Stanford.

They don?t even own the PAC-10 (or 12 or whatever; soon it won?t be called anything).

USC?s inability to assert domination in that conference allowed the vanquished also ran Buckeyes to back into the final four.

I don't think it's ruining college football at all. The sport needs new rivalries and with the new playoff format, losing a game or two isn't going to destroy a team's chances.

The thing that's ruining college football and basketball is the transfer portal. I know it's more fair for the athletes, but college football is now a professional sport with unlimited free agency

I expect when Armageddon strikes the only two things left will be cockroaches and the Mid American Conference.

Don?t tell me, let me guess-in this dystopian universe, the University of Toledo wins the MAC championship - and by default the national championship - every single season.

After changing their mascot from the Rockets to the Roaches.

Last edited:
I expect when Armageddon strikes the only two things left will be cockroaches and the Mid American Conference.

Who will your team be?

EMU because of their proximity to Ann Arbor?

Toledo? (Only MAC team we've lost to)

CMU? (for the LuLz when they kept beating MSU in the 90's)

Another? Miami (OH) for Bo?

Who will your team be?

EMU because of their proximity to Ann Arbor?

Toledo? (Only MAC team we've lost to)

CMU? (for the LuLz when they kept beating MSU in the 90's)

Another? Miami (OH) for Bo?

Interesting question. Niece attends Toledo. Had a college girlfriend at Western. Daughter and family live in proximity of Central. All Ohio schools are eliminated on general principles. So Eastern it is. A few HS teammates and opponents played there.

Last edited:
I don't think it's ruining college football at all. The sport needs new rivalries and with the new playoff format, losing a game or two isn't going to destroy a team's chances.

I do not expect that this format will be any improvement over the Mythical National Champions of the past. To me, they were as legit (with one glaring exception) as the playoff champions of today.

The thing that's ruining college football and basketball is the transfer portal. I know it's more fair for the athletes, but college football is now a professional sport with unlimited free agency

And with kids who want everything all the time right away. So we, as fans and supporters, can't look beyond the present season. :shrug:

I do not expect that this format will be any improvement over the Mythical National Champions of the past. To me, they were as legit (with one glaring exception) as the playoff champions of today.

And with kids who want everything all the time right away. So we, as fans and supporters, can't look beyond the present season. :shrug:

Idk if it will improve it, but cfb is slowly dying, especially in places that aren't full of die hard cfb fans. While people mehhh at games like Washington vs Rutgers or UCLA vs Indiana (football), we also get games like usc vs Michigan and OSU vs Oregon. And if Clemson and FSU move to the SEC, Bama vs Clemson and LSU vs FSU. It's good just to get new rivalries to inject some more enthusiasm into the game.

I wish we could go back to 11 big 10 teams and stay how we were, but this transfer portal and NIL has completely destroyed any hope of keeping the old ways.

I'm glad kids can transfer and get paid, but there needs to be better control over both of those things. Idk how many players I've seen that have been with 3 or 4 different teams in the last few years.

Don?t tell me, let me guess-in this dystopian universe, the University of Toledo wins the MAC championship - and by default the national championship - every single season.

After changing their mascot from the Rockets to the Roaches.

No, Michigan joins the MAC just before the meltdown and dominates in every sport.

I don't like the expansion but can tolerate it for football.

Some of the travel for basketball is going to be beyond idiotic. We're going to get treated to some ugly, jet-lagged games with adding four west coast teams. Plus, we are likely going to have to listen to Bill Walton "announce" games. I put that in quotations because for 85% of the game he rambles about whatever topic he chooses and never talks about what's happening on the court.

Last edited:
Idk if it will improve it, but cfb is slowly dying, especially in places that aren't full of die hard cfb fans. While people mehhh at games like Washington vs Rutgers or UCLA vs Indiana (football), we also get games like usc vs Michigan and OSU vs Oregon. And if Clemson and FSU move to the SEC, Bama vs Clemson and LSU vs FSU. It's good just to get new rivalries to inject some more enthusiasm into the game.

I wish we could go back to 11 big 10 teams and stay how we were, but this transfer portal and NIL has completely destroyed any hope of keeping the old ways.

I'm glad kids can transfer and get paid, but there needs to be better control over both of those things. Idk how many players I've seen that have been with 3 or 4 different teams in the last few years.

Well, there was a time when Fordham played in the Rose Bowl and Army was winning national championships, so I guess the one constant about CFB is that it changes.

Last edited:
Back