Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Week 8 Score Prediction Thread - vs. MSU

Michchamp

When - Saturday, Oct. 21, 2023 @ 7:30 PM Eastern in East Lansing, Michigan on NBC.

Line: UM -24
o/u: 47.5
Sagarin predictor: UM by 21

A bit of history...

Overall series: 72-38-5
For the Trophy: 39-29-2
Harbaugh vs. MSU: 4-4

Current MSU status:

1ivnzj.jpg

Gee... I don't know what else really needs to be said about this one. MSU is just an absolute mess. It's been in an absolute nosedive from 2021's 11-2. But if last year's 5-7 MSU team was bad-but-serviceable, winning some games they shouldn't have with lingering talent and coaching left over from the Dantonio Era, including being a missed FG against Indiana away from 6-6 and a Bowl Game, this appears to be the year the wheels finally fell off the program.

Now, instead of winning games they were predicted to lose, and keeping blowouts closer than expected, they're rolling over and dying, finding new ways to lose each week. They've now lost 4 straight, starting with a 41-7 loss to UWashington that was somehow worse than the score indicated, before getting clobbered by Maryland & blowing 2nd half leads to Iowa and Rutgers. MSU is now 2-4 and STILL has not played the 3 best teams in the East.

11961245-large.jpg

It is amusing Dantonio's again on the sidelines for all this.
They brought him back to watch the program he built burn.

Stats watch!

let's start with the one (1) thing MSU does better than us...

3rd down defense: 16th vs. 3rd

MSU has a good third down defense for some reason. But that really doesn't matter as much because ...

4th down defense: 8th vs. 115th ... MSU's opponents are successful on 4th down 67% of the time, and of course moving the ball easily on 1st and 2nd downs.

They have played a tougher schedule than us (Sagarin rankings: 78th vs 27th) mainly b/c of the Iowa and Washington games.

Other stats
Penalties/game: ....1st 116th
Penalty yds/game: 1st 113th
Turnover margin:...11th 125th
Scoring defense:.....1st 59th
Rush D:................10th 32nd
Pass Eff D:.............5th 70th

All things considered, their defense, including their pass defense, isn't as bad as it's been. Their offense on the other hand, is more of a mess this year. They really shouldn't have run off Thorne and Coleman. But if that was clear at the time to everyone who wasn't an MSU fan, it's even more clear in retrospect. >:D Nice work, Mel!

Rush offense:..40th 109th
Passing Eff.:.....3rd 105th

Their passing numbers have been sandbagged by Noah Kim's atrocious stats; however, Houser might be an improvement, although he's only really played one game. We'll just have to see!

resize

JJ is now #2 in the nation in passing efficiency!!
He's behind LSU's Jayden Daniels by a narrow margin, but ahead of Penix, Caleb Williams and Bo Nix (in that order).

ea61ccb9195537f3c0fc476de4899211-original.jpg

"WE'RE IN THE ASS KICKING BUSINESS... AND BUSINESS IS BOOMING"

Weather Watch?

Since we're at the time of the year where the weather can really become an equilizing factor, I'll note that as of right now, weather in East Lansing at kickoff is predicted to be partly cloudy, 47F, with a low chance of rain (5%). Breezy, with winds expected of 10MPH. Perfect football weather.

Upset watch?

503040504-300x209.jpg

This year, I haven't seen any Spartans mention past notable upsets in this series, where unranked and unheralded MSU teams beat good Michigan teams. They are just THAT beaten down as a fanbase. I suppose if JJ somehow gets knocked out of the game early, & Houser turns out to be the second coming of... uh... Kirk Cousins, maybe it could be close. But even then, Houser is just one guy out of 11 and MSU's offense is god-awful. Tough to see them moving the ball on our defense, no matter how many bad spots they're put in.

I really just hope for an easy win with everyone leaving East Lansing healthy.

So go ahead and make your picks below, and post some analysis if you so choose, but as always, leave the woofing and the barking for other threads!

Last edited by a moderator:
Went with 52-7 vs Minny and was close. Was going to predict the same for Indiana but the rain scared me off.
Dammit.
So lets try this again.

][V][ 52
MSU 7

Last edited:
Michigan 56
MSU 10

I hope the game will be clean, with no injuries on either side, especially injuries caused intentionally, and no fights between the teams or fans inside or outside of the stadium. It's just football people! Stay safe.

It actually didn't occur to me this time. I'm hoping your prediction is correct and the 7th TD is followed by a successful 2pt attempt with less than 5 minutes to go in the game.

Michigan 38
MSU.......13

Halftime is 21-13.

I don't see us running up the score like that... no sense adding insult to injury when you're ascendant and your opponent is helpless & wallowing in sewage. MSU has been relatively quiet, and I figure the Big Ten and NCAA both sent plenty of warnings that they better not have a repeat of what they did last year, on or off the field, so we'll take the high road and not dwell on it or run up the score. I figure Barnett and Dantonio will probably leave their starters in 4 quarters anyway, to keep it closer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Michigan State 24, Michigan 23. (FG with 0:01 on the clock wins it).

Hey what did I win?

Last edited:
A hunch that I can?t shake. Admitting it lessens the burden. Obviously I hope I?m extensively incorrect.

Does JJ get taken out by a Natty Ice can filled with batteries & catapulted from the stands on the first snap of the game?

so that makes mine the second, I guess...

Yours isn't serious, it's wishful thinking.

However, now with the NCAA onto Harbaugh and crew for the elaborate, Oceans 11 style, sign stealing scheme. It's really just anyones guess on how this game will play out.

Ill go with 38-3 for the good guys in an effort to keep it realistic.

Yours isn't serious, it's wishful thinking.

However, now with the NCAA onto Harbaugh and crew for the elaborate, Oceans 11 style, sign stealing scheme. It's really just anyones guess on how this game will play out.

Ill go with 38-3 for the good guys in an effort to keep it realistic.

So I guess yours is the second...

Last edited:
Back