Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Welp, We're Going To Need A New DC

Okay, so at least we know a couple things: don't hire anybody with facial hair, anybody who would work a player to death, anybody RichRod would hire or recommend, or anybody who would leave after a year and go to OSU.

That hopefully doesn't narrow our options too much.

At this point I feel like all the momentum this team had coming out of Indy is gone and it's quickly going back the other way. It went from being "just the beginning" to over a month of uncertainty about the coaching staff.

Signing day is next week. Jim needs to make up his damn mind because the longer he drags this out the more it's going to hurt Michigan regardless of if he stays or goes.

to me, this is odd.

from an article last summer. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ne-to-be-ravens-dc-before-michigan-hired-him/

After the Ravens? postseason ended, linebackers coach Mike Macdonald left to become defensive coordinator at Michigan. That meant Macdonald went from working for John Harbaugh to working for Jim Harbaugh.

Today Jim Harbaugh said that the primary reason he hired Macdonald was his brother?s recommendation ? and that his brother thinks so highly of the 34-year-old Macdonald that he likely would have been the Ravens? next defensive coordinator, whenever the 58-year-old Don ?Wink? Martindale moves on.

?I hadn?t been around Mike a lot except the times I had been to Baltimore, visited there and talked some football,? Jim Harbaugh said. ?My brother John was like, ?Yeah, this is the guy I would hire. Probably would be our next defensive coordinator here in Baltimore after Wink.'?

Jim Harbaugh said John Harbaugh wouldn?t have been so supportive of losing Macdonald to any other coaching staff.

?This came from John ,? Jim Harbaugh said. ?I even asked him, ? John, it?s pretty awesome you would recommend somebody you think so highly of that?s on your staff.? He said, ?Well, I really love Michigan football and I really love you, so I want to see you both be successful.'?

At this point I feel like all the momentum this team had coming out of Indy is gone and it's quickly going back the other way. It went from being "just the beginning" to over a month of uncertainty about the coaching staff.

Signing day is next week. Jim needs to make up his damn mind because the longer he drags this out the more it's going to hurt Michigan regardless of if he stays or goes.

Maybe Jim meant "just the beginning" as the program starting over. Just the beginning for another coach and staff.

Thats not good. I was thinking if Jim left he'd actually be a decent HC candidate. That way were not left with Bill Obrien.

Hard to do any better then Mike McDonald. He came in for one year and beat Osu and helped win a big ten Championship. Glad he came in now we have to find another guy who is hungry.

Not trying to discount the contribution Macdonald made, but Saban, Meyer and others turn over assistants and coordinators yearly. I'm not saying that it's easy, but if a 34 year old with no play calling and coordinating experience can come in and do that it can't be that friggin difficult to find someone that can do a good job.

reddit is talking about Harbaugh to Miami. As of 3 hours ago, Bacon was guessing 70/30 he stays.

John U. Bacon@Johnubacon
3h
Harbaugh Watch, Day 29: Nobody Knows Anything -- but...
My sources tell me Vikings GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, who met Harbaugh w/49ers, seems genuinely interested, and Harbaugh is listening, but no offer yet. We'll see how far it goes.
But have to lower ratio to 70-30 JH stays.

I didn't think he'd leave after last season, but it's starting to look that way. Harbaugh's done nothing to silence the NFL rumors. I think he wants any NFL job at this point. Ross said he would not be the one to hire Harbaugh away from Michigan, and now Dolphins rumors are floating around. It's all speculation, but kind of makes you think Harbaugh is intent on leaving Michigan for the NFL and Ross is thinking he might as well be the one to take him.

I didn't think he'd leave after last season, but it's starting to look that way. Harbaugh's done nothing to silence the NFL rumors. I think he wants any NFL job at this point. Ross said he would not be the one to hire Harbaugh away from Michigan, and now Dolphins rumors are floating around. It's all speculation, but kind of makes you think Harbaugh is intent on leaving Michigan for the NFL and Ross is thinking he might as well be the one to take him.

I'm concerned here because while I don't think it would be out-of-character for Harbaugh or our AD to ignore rumors and not rush to address every hack that writes a "Harbaugh to NFL?" story every 6 months... I also know that UM maxim about not letting a one-day story become a two-day story, which they've certainly blown, if there aren't any legs to these rumors.

I think it's fair to say that if both parties are allowing this, then negotiations have broken down. If it's just money, that's ridiculous... our AD has more than enough.

I won't be surprised if Harbaugh leaves.

I'm unsure of who would be the right person to take over, but maybe Gattis gets the nod. Maybe Hart gets a shot at OC?

Or ask McDonald if he would forego the Ravens DC opportunity for the chance to be the UM coach??? Bring in Larry Foote as the DC? Would that piss off Gattis and result in him leaving? Probably.

All the good things that came out of this season are definitely falling apart. All they can do is move forward, but I think they will be desiring youth over other factors due to how these young coaches brought so much to this past season.

I won't be surprised if Harbaugh leaves.

I'm unsure of who would be the right person to take over, but maybe Gattis gets the nod. Maybe Hart gets a shot at OC?

Or ask McDonald if he would forego the Ravens DC opportunity for the chance to be the UM coach??? Bring in Larry Foote as the DC? Would that piss off Gattis and result in him leaving? Probably.

All the good things that came out of this season are definitely falling apart. All they can do is move forward, but I think they will be desiring youth over other factors due to how these young coaches brought so much to this past season.

I'd rather Mike Hart takeover as HC. Or maybe as interim HC.

Only concern is age... he's only 35. You figure he might have more trouble corraling assistants who are around his age, or older than him.

His track record is good though; everywhere he's gone, the teams have improved, I think. It would be great if Harbaugh stayed on board for 4-5 more years, and then Mike Hart took over.

I think, if I were Warde Manuel, I'd be keen on getting that result, and being able to oversee that sort of stability for the football program. But I'm not sure he can do that. I really don't know what to think of Warde, other than he's done a better job than his predecessors (but given that those predecessors were BM and DB, it's not saying much).

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I would be bummed if he left. If Michigan had the season they had this year 1-2-3 years ago he would have already left. Harbaugh is an NFL HC. That's where he wanted to be.

Back