Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

What happened to this team?

Monster

Forum Manager
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
Sacramento Kings
Michigan Wolverines
Detroit Pistons
Since o$u week, we are a different team. Over the last however many years, we've watched this team look good, make a mistake and then crumble in the face of adversity. We've seen penalties, turnovers, and even injuries completely ruin our chances in big games.

Well, we made our fair share of mistakes in the last two games and, each time, we've responded with poise and confidence and kept the ship steady.

I don't know what happened before O$U week, but this team found its heart that has been missing for 20 years.

Really happy to be a lifelong Wolverine fan. I love this team even when they make me crazy. Go Blue! To the playoffs!

IMO the change happened a few weeks before that. They struggled earlier in the year to make halftime adjustments, something that bit the team for years.

Suddenly, at some point, they began improving at making halftime adjustments. These last 2 games have shown their full potential on O and D to make solid adjustments that change a fairly close game into a crushing defeat.

That QB rollout that bit them in the 1st half was completely obliterated in the 2nd half.

Since o$u week, we are a different team. Over the last however many years, we've watched this team look good, make a mistake and then crumble in the face of adversity. We've seen penalties, turnovers, and even injuries completely ruin our chances in big games.

Well, we made our fair share of mistakes in the last two games and, each time, we've responded with poise and confidence and kept the ship steady.

I don't know what happened before O$U week, but this team found its heart that has been missing for 20 years.

Really happy to be a lifelong Wolverine fan. I love this team even when they make me crazy. Go Blue! To the playoffs!

It?s been that long?

I?m a fan of 50+ years, going back to Bo?s first Rose Bowl (that he was sidelined for because of a heart attack).

It?s time.

The pendulum swings.

The second hand unwinds.

Cade said that this team was different after the Nebraska game. Turns out we should have listened to him. We should have known when they were jumping around at Wisconsin.

I said they needed an Ohio win and a B1G title.. I'd like to take credit for this season.

Remember the feelings of despair after the MSU loss?

It kinda seemed like the loss was something we needed though, to re-focus on winning the Big Ten, and play the remainder of the schedule fearlessly. Like getting a flesh wound in battle, then going berserk and slaughtering the enemy until none are left.

Man this team is a just a Few bad plays from being undefeated. I agree with everything you guys have said. What a amazing turnaround from last year. someone the guys it said it all started last January with off season workouts. I mean this was. 2-4 team in the covid year and like Monster said in the past few years as soon as something wrong this team turtled up and fell apart. But amazing comebacks at Psu and Nebraska proved this team is way different. Man I hope they can finish but I am sure we are all so giddy we broke the jinx off Michigan?s back of winning the big ten championship game . It is so much harder for a eastern division team to get there over a western division team in my opinion. ( Unless your Osu lol)
I?m 60 years old and have been watch since 1969-70.

I Vaguely remember Bo?s first season and since then I have been high and low every fall Saturday with wins or losses ! I wish Bo would have protected his players better from that Doctor but he was a decent football coach. He just always had bad luck at the Rose Bowl or bowl games but man his teams played tough year after year.

Go blue I?m still on could 9 as a Michigan football fan. This team will go down as probably my favorite team along with the 1997 team! ,a new those early 1970 teams. Loved the 10-1-1 1985 team that beat Nebraska in the Fiesta Bowl. If there was a playoff system back then they would have beaten
Anyone I think.

Last edited:
I started to get the feeling that this was a special team after the Wisconsin win. Then the win at Nebraska showed they could definitely win in a very hostile environment. That game was so loud, yet they were able to overcome it. Should have won in EL too. After that loss, the path was clear. MSU losing to Purdue was the first link in the chain, and Michigan's win over PSU. All that was left was to topple the evil empire from the south. Thank God they got them at home. OSU could not handle the crowd in the Big House and the team wanted the win too badly to be denied. The great leadership on this team starting with Harbaugh and the other coaches, Hutch, Cade, Hassan, Ross, Corum, JJ, all played their parts. I know Bo is looking down from Valhalla with the Michigan faithful of bygone years and saying "As I told you it's the team, the team, the team, and those who stay will be champions". And one more win and they are back at Lucas for the NC. Things are just falling into place. This is Michigan's year!

I'm going to point to a single possession that to me, was the turnaround for the season.

When Penn State scored a TD, and then JJ turned it over on the next play and it seemed the whole world was crumbling, the defense came up with a MASSIVE stop to hold them to an FG. If Penn State would have scored a TD, the rest of the games would not have played out the way they did.

Remember the feelings of despair after the MSU loss?

It kinda seemed like the loss was something we needed though, to re-focus on winning the Big Ten, and play the remainder of the schedule fearlessly. Like getting a flesh wound in battle, then going berserk and slaughtering the enemy until none are left.

I remember you and I were pretty much the only ones who kept our heads.

I remember you said ?guys, it?s only one loss.?

Was it a huge setback?

Gigantic. Monumental.

Was all lost?

No.

Not at all.

Some shit would have to go Michigan?s way - and it did.

I do remember posting on Penn State game thread that the season was ?on life support.?

Then suddenly, it was All in.

I'm going to point to a single possession that to me, was the turnaround for the season.

When Penn State scored a TD, and then JJ turned it over on the next play and it seemed the whole world was crumbling, the defense came up with a MASSIVE stop to hold them to an FG. If Penn State would have scored a TD, the rest of the games would not have played out the way they did.

Oh right, that?s right. That was a huge hold.

I remember, amidst all the bitching, ?guys that was a huge hold. Our guys are still alive.?

Last edited:
Remember after the Washington game all the negativity about they cannot win the B1G playing like that?

But Harbaugh was just like, "they couldn't stop the run, why would we need to throw"?

And that was the game after the Bell injury... and we suddenly would never be able to throw the ball in another game???

I just hope they keep this formula going. Obviously it relies heavily on player leadership, but they have the guys there to do that. I've never seen a team that is this tight in any sport in my life. I know that sounds corny but clearly it matters because this may be the most dangerous team in the country right now.

I'm still in awe of JJ getting out in front of Corum on that TD run. That play is what happened to this team. Your 5 star QB that could have played anywhere not only chose Michigan but is throwing lead blocks 40 yards down field.

I'm still in awe of JJ getting out in front of Corum on that TD run. That play is what happened to this team. Your 5 star QB that could have played anywhere not only chose Michigan but is throwing lead blocks 40 yards down field.

To me it shows the selflessness this team has. We don't seem to have any cry babies that hang their head or drag the team down when things don't go their way. JJ could be that kid, he could be upset he's not a starter. He could have went to probably 70% of other schools and gotten the starting job. He came to UM and has no problem throwing blocks down field. To me it builds confidence that the team will have great leadership for the next few years.

To me it shows the selflessness this team has. We don't seem to have any cry babies that hang their head or drag the team down when things don't go their way. JJ could be that kid, he could be upset he's not a starter. He could have went to probably 70% of other schools and gotten the starting job. He came to UM and has no problem throwing blocks down field. To me it builds confidence that the team will have great leadership for the next few years.

And you have to love the shot of Cade clapping then pointing to JJ awhile back. Full support of each other. Whatever helps the team win, no jealousy or petty behavior.

Back