Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

What to do with Stafford

Multiple Teams Are Reaching Out To Detroit Lions About Matthew Stafford Trade
Total Pro Sports "The trade market for Matt Stafford is starting to take shape. On Tuesday, Adam Schefter of ESPN reported that multiple teams have begun reaching out to the Detroit Lions to initiate trade talks and determine what the asking price would be to acquire the veteran..." January 26

I'm telling you he is a very good player and everyone wants him

Gonna miss him

Mitch has an irrational hate for Stafford leave him be.

I think most care about wins and playoffs. Both things we’ve struggled w Stafford being the QB.

Of course. But that doesnt happen with a qb worse than stafford. A little more cap room and picks doesnt get it done if continue to make scheme and personnel mistakes anf have major injuries..actually even harder to win without a qb of staffords good quality

But we shall see what lions do with cap space and picks

Holmes has done good things on day 2 amd donald. Less enthused about campbell but thats more unknown on his schemes, game management..he seems like a good motivator and well liked so far

Parcells tree attempt this time with the holmes wild card

Last edited:
Atleast the tone in the national media has changed. Ive been seeing alot of praise for the staff DC's putting together.

Of course. But that doesnt happen with a qb worse than stafford. A little more cap room and picks doesnt get it done if continue to make scheme and personnel mistakes anf have major injuries..actually even harder to win without a qb of staffords good quality

Over the past 12 seasons the Lions record was 74-90-1 with Matt as the starting QB. 0-3 in the playoffs.

Any QB can lead a team to a sub .500 record and winless in the playoffs.

Regardless what happens, I'm as excited to be a Lions fan as I have been in a long time.

Over the past 12 seasons the Lions record was 74-90-1 with Matt as the starting QB. 0-3 in the playoffs.

Any QB can lead a team to a sub .500 record and winless in the playoffs.

A real lions fan would never make this statement. Because they clearly weren?t watching during the last 50 years.

Either way it was time for the lions to move on. LKP is acting like Stafford is 25 like Deshaun Watson. It won?t kill us long term, he?s aging and this is the twilight for getting trade value out of him. If we hold onto him a couple of years more he won?t have any left. And I don?t think the lions will be contenders in 2 years. Possibly 3 but Stafford will then be around 36-37.

The lions most important move is what they do next. They mess this up and it will set them back for a long time. Need an awesome offseason to get this thing trending the right way again. Or else we could be heading towards some Millen years.

Lions had 4 winning seasons with Stafford (they have 0 with a lesser QB)
2011, 2014, 2016 (injury final 4 games), 2017 (refs cost us playoffs)

Other seasons that could have been because he was playing really well
2019 (8 game injury), 2020 (complete mess but he was good enough)

2015 7-9 after terrible start and Lombardi as OC/Oline mess. Refs cost us few games too (Hail Mary game, Seattle game)
2013 weapon injuries, refs and crazy turnovers (Caldwell came in after to fix turnover issues for the Lions). 6-3 start when sour with crazy turnovers (many on the weapons/backup weapons)
2018 (injuries to Marvin/KJ, Tate trade, cut Ebron, Stafford back injury) for 6-10
2010 injured all year
2009 rookie on Millen mess team

The record with a poor QB over that span instead of Stafford would be (5-187). They won 5 games out of 15 in 2010 without Stafford. Blanked in 2009, blanked in 2019 without him. Looked awful against Colts, Pack, Tampa, Titans without him too this year.

A rookie or drafted QB can give us play like Chase Daniel or Daunte Culpepper and we'll keep losing. And you will be very very sad

Having Stafford did not stop them from getting a good defense or run game. They just whiffed on draft, had plenty of cap space and whiffed on some defense (or just had bad luck with injuries see 2020 FAs)

But if the Lions do finally figure those things out then a new QB could have success even though they are not a good QB like Stafford. It's a shame they never figured those things out in enough seasons with Stafford.

You put anybody on the Lions last 12 years. Maholmes, Rodgers, Brady, Watson, whoever, they lose just as much as Stafford did.

You guys are underrating him and you will miss him.

Last edited:
Lions had 4 winning seasons with Stafford (they have 0 with a lesser QB)
2011, 2014, 2016 (injury final 4 games), 2017 (refs cost us playoffs)

Other seasons that could have been because he was playing really well
2019 (8 game injury), 2020 (complete mess but he was good enough)

2015 7-9 after terrible start and Lombardi as OC/Oline mess. Refs cost us few games too (Hail Mary game, Seattle game)
2013 weapon injuries, refs and crazy turnovers (Caldwell came in after to fix turnover issues for the Lions). 6-3 start when sour with crazy turnovers (many on the weapons/backup weapons)
2018 (injuries to Marvin/KJ, Tate trade, cut Ebron, Stafford back injury) for 6-10
2010 injured all year
2009 rookie on Millen mess team

The record with a poor QB over that span instead of Stafford would be (5-187). They won 5 games out of 15 in 2010 without Stafford. Blanked in 2009, blanked in 2019 without him. Looked awful against Colts, Pack, Tampa, Titans without him too this year.

A rookie or drafted QB can give us play like Chase Daniel or Daunte Culpepper and we'll keep losing. And you will be very very sad

Having Stafford did not stop them from getting a good defense or run game. They just whiffed on draft, had plenty of cap space and whiffed on some defense (or just had bad luck with injuries see 2020 FAs)

But if the Lions do finally figure those things out then a new QB could have success even though they are not a good QB like Stafford. It's a shame they never figured those things out in enough seasons with Stafford.

You put anybody on the Lions last 12 years. Maholmes, Rodgers, Brady, Watson, whoever, they lose just as much as Stafford did.

You guys are underrating him and you will miss him.

That last statement is extremely ignorant. Stafford is not and never was in that class of quarterbacks, and I am a huge Stafford fan. Stafford was borderline top 5 during his BEST seasons and overall was probably a 8-15 range QB most years. Brady is gonna go down as the best QB to ever play the game. Mahomes might overtake him for that honor by the time he retires. Rodgers is probably the best QB Green Bay has ever had and they have had some damn good quarterbacks. Watson is the only one you could even argue, but he has led some very average at best teams to the postseason these past few years. He is better at this young stage of his career then Stafford ever was. Those are facts.

When Stafford does indeed retire he is obviously a slam dunk for the lions Ring of Honor, but he is not for the HOF. All four that you mentioned above are either slam dunks or are trending that way.

That last statement is extremely ignorant. Stafford is not and never was in that class of quarterbacks, and I am a huge Stafford fan. Stafford was borderline top 5 during his BEST seasons and overall was probably a 8-15 range QB most years. Brady is gonna go down as the best QB to ever play the game. Mahomes might overtake him for that honor by the time he retires. Rodgers is probably the best QB Green Bay has ever had and they have had some damn good quarterbacks. Watson is the only one you could even argue, but he has led some very average at best teams to the postseason these past few years. He is better at this young stage of his career then Stafford ever was. Those are facts.

When Stafford does indeed retire he is obviously a slam dunk for the lions Ring of Honor, but he is not for the HOF. All four that you mentioned above are either slam dunks or are trending that way.

Stafford has had had QB ratings higher than those 2 in seasons. 2019 a great example

But the point is, the support those QBs get is why they are so successful.

You put them on the Lions, they make the playoffs 4 year out of 12 too. The support is that lacking

Stafford is a good QB who can carry a team. But sometimes it can't be carried by even good/great QBs

NFC Champ game a great example. Brady threw 3 picks. 3. But they won the game with other support (Bucs defense/turnovers for a super short field on an Aaron Jones fumble). 73 rating Brady, Rodgers 101 rating. Brady the winner on the day

I am not saying they are not great QBs. I am saying the Lions drag down great QBs (Stafford). And on paper the Lions have looked great going into season, but then somehow it all goes to shit be in coaching, injuries, trades, QB injuries, just lack of execution from players who have executed in the past on Lions or other teams, coaching decision (ex using Peterson over Swift, using Blount a ton (not Stafford fault)

And don't even think about blaming Stafford for all the Lions losing. That is beyond dumb. It's like you didn't even watch when you do that (and yes there are a handful of bad games, but every QB has them and those bad games can be caused by lack of support around him)

Last edited:
Atleast the tone in the national media has changed. Ive been seeing alot of praise for the staff DC's putting together.

I have seen some of this locally but guys like blow hard Colin Cowheard and others are ripping him about his press conference. Local guys like Huge here in grand Rapids never mention his press conference which in my opinion was really subpar.. I would like the lions to be great but kicking them in the teeth and taking a bit out of them is just not something that needs to be said in the first press conference. Hope I am wrong about Campbell but it just feels like we have seen this before. Idk. Hope it works out.

But hey the staff looks great so far ��

Last edited:
I would not trade Matt unless we get really good value for him. At least a first rounder and something else.

Back