Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

which 2B would you have

Guillen by default. Ramon is a nice versatile infielder off the bench.

My favorite out of the 3 is Santi, but I voted Guillen because he's obviously the best hitter of the 3.

Beez said:
My favorite out of the 3 is Santi, but I voted Guillen because he's obviously the best hitter of the 3.

Is he? So far this year Santiago has been the better hitter and is better defensively.

Guillen also spent extensive time on the DL not getting game time action. (I know I know...when isnt he on the DL)

tomdalton22 said:
Beez said:

Is he? So far this year Santiago has been the better hitter and is better defensively.

Guillen's sample size is probably a bit small to make any definitive judgements, yet. I think he'll start to hit pretty well at some point this year.

Santiago due to defense. at least 2 of our starters are strong ground ball pitchers and the added defense will save more runs than a run down Guillen will get you with his bat. JMO :-/

JimRice said:
tomdalton22 said:

Guillen's sample size is probably a bit small to make any definitive judgements, yet. I think he'll start to hit pretty well at some point this year.
He started hot and he has quit hitting. I wouldn't count on him to start hitting any time soon.

I can agree with both food and Jim's last statements.

you know who id rather have and is doing better than all of them both offensively and defensively overall this year (i just checked again now)?

Scott Sizemore. thanks again, DD. it stings even more since he DFA'd Purcey. his OPS, while still under .700, is higher than any of the other 3 and his OBP is like 110 points above his BA. he's also the only one of the 3 to have a positive UZR for the year so far. he might only end up being an average-at-best ML infielder, but we dont even have someone who fits that description at 2nd.

Spockmaster said:
you know who id rather have and is doing better than all of them both offensively and defensively overall this year (i just checked again now)?

Scott Sizemore. thanks again, DD. it stings even more since he DFA'd Purcey. his OPS, while still under .700, is higher than any of the other 3 and his OBP is like 110 points above his BA. he's also the only one of the 3 to have a positive UZR for the year so far. he might only end up being an average-at-best ML infielder, but we dont even have someone who fits that description at 2nd.
I think Santiago is better defensively than Sizemore. I think there was more to that trade than we are lead to believe.

tomdalton22 said:
Spockmaster said:

I think Santiago is better defensively than Sizemore. I think there was more to that trade than we are lead to believe.

Agreed, there's gotta be something else there.

Maybe they didn't like his attitude or something, but I believe for one reason or another the organization soured on Sizemore.

austindayeisaboss said:
which one?

Did Al Kaline create this thread?

Only person that I ever remember hearing pronounce it "basemans" instead of basemen.

:)

mjsb2 said:
tomdalton22 said:

Maybe they didn't like his attitude or something, but I believe for one reason or another the organization soured on Sizemore.
i wish we could've gotten more for him than fuckin purcey.

and i think santiago has fallen off defensively as he's gotten older. his FP is better than sizemore's so far, but his UZR is negative at 2B this year.

Spockmaster said:
mjsb2 said:

i wish we could've gotten more for him than fuckin purcey.

and i think santiago has fallen off defensively as he's gotten older. his FP is better than sizemore's so far, but his UZR is negative at 2B this year.

Agree that the Purcey trade was shit.

However, UZR is not too reliable when considering the sample size of either Sizemore or especially Santiago. I think it's a better indicator with a much larger sized sample. There's so much subjective info involved with calculating UZR that small sample can get pretty skewed, I think.

Back