Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Who would you want as manager next year?

msuspartan

I say we fire Leyland and push HARD for Francona.

I have been a Leyland hater for years and this is just a rash question after tonight.

I'm tired of our manager, 3B coach, and hitting coach. Enough is enough.

He signed a extension. we have him for one more year.. Our only hope is that Lamont retires and Lloyd tries to manage again.

I know he is signed an extension, but I cannot take another year of this. Jimmy Smokes hurts my soul.

Anyone know how much he is going to get paid next year? I'd start a fund to pay to send him away.

MSUspartan said:

I have been a Leyland hater for years and this is just a rash question after tonight.

You want us to fire Leyland, and replace him with Francona?

Francona? the guy who let his team fall apart.

No thanks. ask Boston fans, Tito is not a good manager, he benefited from the talent that Theo and the owner got after spending huge money.

And now stories are surfacing left and right about his clubhouse......

guys doing shots before games, relief pitchers playing xbox in the clubhouse during games, guys eating KFC and drinking a 6 pack during games...

NO THANKS.

I say they just give this board 1,000,000 dollars to split, we can type in what we want to happen and have someone there to relay our decisions. It's obvious we all know more than any manager there is.

MI_Thumb said:
MSUspartan said:

No thanks. ask Boston fans, Tito is not a good manager, he benefited from the talent that Theo and the owner got after spending huge money.

guys doing shots before games, relief pitchers playing xbox in the clubhouse during games, guys eating KFC and drinking a 6 pack during games...

NO THANKS.
While I agree Leyland should stay... Francona is a better manager than Leyland.. He's not Scioscia, but he's better than Leyland.. Boston should have never fired him IMO... Those stories are mostly fabrication by the Boston media as well and btw it's not like Leyland's clubhouse has been known to run tight either.. See Miguel Cabrera..

MI_Thumb said:
MSUspartan said:

NO THANKS.

Things like that happen because the organization has a bad culture from ownership down.

Leyland's teams have collapsed/fallen apart at least 4 times after the All-Star break with good teams.

With Francona, I wouldn't rip my hair during games because of bonehead moves.

tigers99888 said:
MI_Thumb said:

NO THANKS.
While I agree Leyland should stay... Francona is a better manager than Leyland.. He's not Scioscia, but he's better than Leyland.. Boston should have never fired him IMO... Those stories are mostly fabrication by the Boston media as well and btw it's not like Leyland's clubhouse has been known to run tight either.. See Miguel Cabrera..

Miguel Cabrera's issues were not in the clubhouse. Therefor not on Leyland, the guys not a fucking babysitter.

But Tito is the boss when the players are at the park, and when you let shit like that go on and your team chokes away the 3rd best record in MLB in less than a month, you can't be surprised when you get canned.

As far as saying the stories are fabrications....lol ok whatever.

MSUspartan said:
MI_Thumb said:

NO THANKS.

Things like that happen because the organization has a bad culture from ownership down.

Leyland's teams have collapsed/fallen apart at least 4 times after the All-Star break with good teams.

With Francona, I wouldn't rip my hair during games because of bonehead moves.

Ask Boston fans how their hair is.

Seriously, Boston fans have ripped on Tito worse then we ever did on Leyland, and for just as long.

MI_Thumb said:
Miguel Cabrera's issues were not in the clubhouse. Therefor not on Leyland, the guys not a fucking babysitter.

But Tito is the boss when the players are at the park, and when you let shit like that go on and your team chokes away the 3rd best record in MLB in less than a month, you can't be surprised when you get canned.

You should actually look at his accomplishments.. Those Boston teams were good, but more often than not, they went through some teams like the Yankees that were more talented.. He was a great manager and while I agree they wear out their welcome which he might have, you seem to act like Leyland is immune to this... Stack everything up and Francona wins.. You can make the case that Leyland has had as much talent as Tito had.. Most people tend to think Epstein is more to blame than Tito was and I actually agree.. His free agent pickups have not worked out more than not..

tigers99888 said:
MI_Thumb said:

You should actually look at his accomplishments.. Those Boston teams were good, but more often than not, they went through some teams like the Yankees that were more talented.. He was a great manager and while I agree they wear out their welcome which he might have, you seem to act like Leyland is immune to this... Stack everything up and Francona wins.. You can make the case that Leyland has had as much talent as Tito had.. Most people tend to think Epstein is more to blame than Tito was and I actually agree.. His free agent pickups have not worked out more than not..

When did I say anything about him being immune, or anything period before you mentioned Cabrera?

Don't put words in my mouth.

I said Tito was not a better guy than Leyland, and that's opinion, same as yours.

And we never had the Talent that Boston has had, at least not since Leyland has been here.

We never had the talent Boston had but we weren't playing in the AL East either.

I think in 2008 the Tigers were more talented than the Sox.. I think the talent has been on par with good teams the last 4 years.. IN 2009 and 2010 there were holes, but neither of those teams were terrible either... I think people overrated the talent of those Boston teams.. A lot of the people who contributed were mediocre like Millar for instance..

MSUspartan said:
We never had the talent Boston had but we weren't playing in the AL East either.
+1.. I think you could make the case that the Yankees were more talented than most of those Boston teams and yet Francona has won more world series than the Yanks..

I must say it's going to be amusing when Leyland eventually retires and the new manager doesn't show much improvement in the win total.

Romneybot said:
I must say it's going to be amusing when Leyland eventually retires and the new manager doesn't show much improvement in the win total.
Who knows what happens.. I think Leyland overall is a very good manager, but he's not great... And personally I think Francona would be a bad fit for this team...

It's just inexplicible that the domino effect of bad decisons tonight were made by seasoned, professional baseball men. Things that defied reason and logic and common sense. Did they all concur on them? Does Leyland make decisions alone without confering with his coaches?

The Lamont Incident was obviously independent of Leyland, but I wonder why Leyland accepts his inconsistency in managing runners at third base?

Leyland is just too stubborn. It's his way or the no way. Having AJ leadoff all season is one of many examples. If these aren't working a change is necessary. He will have 8 years as manager here without a WS if we dont pull a miracle this year, and 1 lonely division title. How may managers have that type of tenure without constant success?

Back