Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Who would you want as manager next year?

tigers99888 said:
MI_Thumb said:
You want us to fire Leyland, and replace him with Francona?

Francona? the guy who let his team fall apart.

No thanks. ask Boston fans, Tito is not a good manager, he benefited from the talent that Theo and the owner got after spending huge money.

And now stories are surfacing left and right about his clubhouse......

guys doing shots before games, relief pitchers playing xbox in the clubhouse during games, guys eating KFC and drinking a 6 pack during games...

NO THANKS.
While I agree Leyland should stay... Francona is a better manager than Leyland.. He's not Scioscia, but he's better than Leyland.. Boston should have never fired him IMO... Those stories are mostly fabrication by the Boston media as well and btw it's not like Leyland's clubhouse has been known to run tight either.. See Miguel Cabrera..

Really? You know this how?

Obviously, I want a manager with a time machine. All decisions should be results based, and the only way to have an effective manager is to have one that knows the outcome. If they can't find one with a time machine, I hope they go with the WHPR from Wargames to be the manager.

I know that this likely won't happen, but I would like to see Tom Brookens moved to third base and Lamoron moved to first, where he can do the least possible damage. Would also like to see a new hitting coach, to replace Llegendary Lloyd McClendon, but that also ain't gonna happen, unless the Tigers FO decides to make it so.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Maybe we can get Tony Larussa.

I'm not sure if that was sarcasm or not, but I think Tony and Jim are really good friends. I don't see Tony taking his job.

I voted for Leyland for the sole reason that I'd need to see an actual name up there against him. As for Francona, I think that is an awful fit. Our biggest star needs a manager that is more hands on and a little tougher than Francona. Francona's clubhouse in Boston sounds like it was a free for all, not at all what this team needs. I think you let Leyland manage out his contract and then go after Gibby.

smayschmouthfootball said:
It's just inexplicible that the domino effect of bad decisons tonight were made by seasoned, professional baseball men. Things that defied reason and logic and common sense. Did they all concur on them? Does Leyland make decisions alone without confering with his coaches?

The Lamont Incident was obviously independent of Leyland, but I wonder why Leyland accepts his inconsistency in managing runners at third base?

I know they are good friends but at what point does a friendship become detrimental to your professional career. I wouldn't let a friendship get me fired.

Leyland has made two major mistakes this postseason, but still has manages adaquately.
1. Having Valverde go out for a second inning
2. Letting Perry anywhere near a post season game
As much as you guys dont like Penny as a starter, I think he would better option out of the pen than Perry.

kingofdetroit57 said:
I'll take Leyland next year, then hopefully Gibby sometime soon after that.
Another guy I could see us taking a run at next year would be Joe Maddon.

I try to be nice on the board...but this is the dumbest thread I have seen in awhile. Leyland managed the team to the postseason. They are losing to a BETTER team right now. Nothing the skipper has done, or could have done, would have changed that. Period. Folks, stop whining.

suh said:
Leyland has made two major mistakes this postseason, but still has manages adaquately.
1. Having Valverde go out for a second inning
2. Letting Perry anywhere near a post season game
As much as you guys dont like Penny as a starter, I think he would better option out of the pen than Perry.
Number 2 is another example of how Leyland will always get blamed, he brings in Perry and fans bitch about the move, he brings in Penny and fans bitch about the move (maybe not you but you know quite a few fans would). I sometimes wonder if people expect Leyland to pull some great relief pitcher out of thin air and put him in the game.

Leyland has managed his team to the ALCS and possibly beyond with a lineup that featured the mighty Don Kelly batting 5th at one point. The team is a MASH unit and they're finding a way to be competetive with a better team. They won the AL Central going away and beat a very good Yankees team in the ALDS. Does Leyland get no credit for any of that? Just curious, at the beginning of the season what were your expectations for this team? If you told me in April the Tigers would be where they are now I would have been thrilled.

tycobb420 said:
I try to be nice on the board...but this is the dumbest thread I have seen in awhile. Leyland managed the team to the postseason. They are losing to a BETTER team right now. Nothing the skipper has done, or could have done, would have changed that. Period. Folks, stop whining.

Hey Ty....when a team hangs in there, as our role players did toughing it out until the big salary guys started producing runs, you have a good team. If ya got that and the pitching, though shaky at times, holds up....well....then it is yet undetermined which is the best team. You could say Texas choked when Verlander got out of his jam with the DP. Should the Tigers prevail it will be that moment that will be pointed to as when the momentum in the series moved from north Texas to the Great Lake State.

As I said previously, I think Leyland's biggest fault is sticking with Lamont and McClendon... Otherwise, I think he's pretty good.. I would put him in the same category as Flip Saunders or RIck Carlisle, very very good, but not great and maybe the few faults are his downfall..

Back