Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Your 2024 Rose Bowl Champion Wolverines of Michigan

Not to get ahead of myself but who do want to play in title game?

Not to get ahead of myself but who do want to play in title game?

Doesn?t matter.

Both teams we saw tonight are better than either of the other two teams.

That doesn?t mean victory is certain; we all watched Michigan lose last year to a team Michigan was better than.

I think John Navarre and the maize and blue lost a road game to Washington in the first week of September 2001, and within a few days an unspeakable tragedy ensued - the Buckeyes hired Tressel.

Maybe the Huskies came to Ann Arbor and our guys prevailed the following year.

We all remember second of three Rose Bowl losses early in the millennium to the Longhorn (the other two were to rival USC).

Hey, man - whichever team it is - that?s a lot of pageantry!

Last edited:
Out of all this I think what is most gratifying is that Michigan won a Rose Bowl.

The band of anonymous big ten coaches that expected Alabama to win...

Admittedly I was not able to watch. Do not have ESPN. I was perfectly satisfied following it on the internet. I'll watch the highlights tonight with my bride. Again, the most gratifying of all of this to me is that Michigan won a Rose Bowl. That it was against Saban, Alabama, the SEC, Paul Finebaum, and that it anguished MSU, OSU, and PSU fans is icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Doesn?t matter.

Both teams we saw tonight are better than either of the other two teams.

That doesn?t mean victory is certain; we all watched Michigan lose last year to a team Michigan was better than.

I think John Navarre and the maize and blue lost a road game to Washington in the first week of September 2001, and within a few days an unspeakable tragedy ensued - the Buckeyes hired Tressel.

Maybe the Huskies came to Ann Arbor and our guys prevailed the following year.

We all remember second of three Rose Bowl losses early in the millennium to the Longhorn (the other two were to rival USC).

Hey, man - whichever team it is - that?s a lot of pageantry!

I think it did actually matter who we play. If texas had won, they would have Essentially had a home game against us. Aside from that, i think we can beat both teams if we play mistake free and don't shoot ourselves in the foot

I think we definitely need to put up 30+ points against Washington. I know our defense is great but so is Washington's offense. Our offense and special teams better be a lot better on Monday.

I think it did actually matter who we play. If texas had won, they would have Essentially had a home game against us. Aside from that, i think we can beat both teams if we play mistake free and don't shoot ourselves in the foot

That?s a point, it did occur to me it would have been something of home game for Texas.

We saw Michigan shoot itself in the foot last year against TCU to lose to a team Michigan was better than; hell, it almost happened last night.

Hopefully that?s been gotten out of our guys? system.

There is no team in the county as good as our team at the line of scrimmage.

Take away the mistakes and it should be party, party, oh party for us in a week.

Hard to get a read on Washington. I keep thinking they're overrated and they keep winning games. 6 days from now and we will find out. I think it's true that we haven't faced an offense quite as good as they are but I also don't think they've faced a defense anywhere close to what Michigan brings. I also think that their defense is the weakest we have seen since Purdue so we should be able to score.

That was probably the worst possible match-up for Texas. Their secondary is easily their biggest liability going against Washington's strength.

I'm still in shock by the amount of pressure the defense was able to generate against Bama.

Out of all this I think what is most gratifying is that Michigan won a Rose Bowl.

a close second would be not reading posts from bphilips about how they were the better team and if 17 things happened differently they would have won the game at least monthly for the next year if uofm lost.

Congrats on the win. Good luck in the final.

Hard to get a read on Washington. I keep thinking they're overrated and they keep winning games. 6 days from now and we will find out. I think it's true that we haven't faced an offense quite as good as they are but I also don't think they've faced a defense anywhere close to what Michigan brings. I also think that their defense is the weakest we have seen since Purdue so we should be able to score.

That was probably the worst possible match-up for Texas. Their secondary is easily their biggest liability going against Washington's strength.

I'm still in shock by the amount of pressure the defense was able to generate against Bama.

I've been saying Washington is the best team in the country for over a month now. I've seen probably half of their games. Their WRs are better than the buckeyes (as a group) from last year and the QB is better than anyone we've seen. Think Maryland, with considerably more speed, strength and hunger to win. They're very good and very confident. They walk with the same kind of swagger that Georgia did the last two years.

I'd say we match up well with them, but we have to be able to stop their passing game or they'll pick us apart and we'll need to score 40 against their underrated D.

Can't turn the ball over. Period. Michigan wins a close one, 31-27

I've been saying Washington is the best team in the country for over a month now. I've seen probably half of their games. Their WRs are better than the buckeyes (as a group) from last year and the QB is better than anyone we've seen. Think Maryland, with considerably more speed, strength and hunger to win. They're very good and very confident. They walk with the same kind of swagger that Georgia did the last two years.

I'd say we match up well with them, but we have to be able to stop their passing game or they'll pick us apart and we'll need to score 40 against their underrated D.

Can't turn the ball over. Period. Michigan wins a close one, 31-27

I see it about the same. This CBS sportswriter calls it bully ball.

Beat them up on both sides of the line of scrimmage. Get to Penix and rip hole for Blake and the other runners.

Do that, don?t make mistakes and we should all be happy.

Again, not to say that?s sure to happen.

Arizona State, Oregon State and Washington State held Washington to 15, 22, and 24 points. I'm not saying we will replicate that, but those defenses are not as good as ours and they found a way to slow Washington way down. ASU is flat out a terrible defense and they held UW to their lowest point total all season. WSU is also pretty terrible and Oregon St. is ranked middle of the pack. Each team's defensive rankings for some reference:

ASU

Opp Points/Game - 32.8 (#109)
Opp Yards/Game - 412.4 (#98)
Opp Points/Play - 0.465 (#109)
Opp Yards/Play - 5.8 (#90)
Opp 3D Conv % - 40.67% (#83)
Opp 4d Conv % - 57.14% (#88)
Opp RZ Scoring % - 80.77% (#44)

Oregon State

Opp Points/Game - 24.3 (#50)
Opp Yards/Game - 364.4 (#46)
Opp Points/Play - 0.358 (#46)
Opp Yards/Play - 5.4 (#55)
Opp 3D Conv % - 40.13% (#77)
Opp 4d Conv % - 54.55% (#76)
Opp RZ Scoring % - 83.72 (#68)

WSU

Opp Points/Game - 28.7 (#78)
Opp Yards/Game - 391.5 (#68)
Opp Points/Play - 0.403 (#76)
Opp Yards/Play - 5.5 (#62)
Opp 3D Conv % - 41.36 % (#91)
Opp 4d Conv % - 63.16% (#117)
Opp RZ Scoring % - 89.74 % (#113)

Michigan

Opp Points/Game - 10.2 (#1)
Opp Yards/Game - 244.5 (#1)
Opp Points/Play - 0.172 (#1)
Opp Yards/Play - 4.1 (#4)
Opp 3D Conv % - 30.22% (#10)
Opp 4d Conv % - 32.14% (#7)
Opp RZ Scoring % - 76.19% (#20)

Last edited:
ASU actually held UW's offense to 9 pts. 6 pts came on a UW-pick 6.

And YES, Washington is overrated; Sagarin has had them around 10th for most of the season. Currently has them 8th.

They probably should've lost to Oregon in the first matchup, but Oregon's coach took "be aggressive" to mean "never kick a FG even when you need points in a close game" so UW got away with one.

I just hope we can clean up the dumb mistakes on special teams. If we don't turn the ball over or otherwise do stupid shit, we should win this going away.

We took Alabama's best punch in the 2nd half. I think we can handle UW... unless Penix and his receivers are really light years ahead of everyone on our roster as all the Michigan haters are saying...

FUN Facts / Postgame Notes:

- We are now 3-3 All Time vs. Alabama; 2-2 this century

- The Rose Bowl was easily the most watched college football game this season and the most watched college football game since the 2018 championship between Alabama and Georgia.

- Michigan played in the top 2 most watched games this season (Rose Bowl & UM-OSU)

- 14 wins in a season is the most ever by a Michigan team

- We are now 9-12 All Time in the Rose Bowl

- We are 14-3 in Overtime games (3-0 in Bowls)

- JJ McCarthy is 26-1 as a starter and that's the best % by any QB in the last 20 years, if not more

- Blake Corum's TD in OT set the All Time Michigan record for career rushing TD's (56) and extended the single season record for rushing TD's (25)

- This CFB championship will be the first time since January 2014 that the game doesn't feature at least one SEC team.

- If you want to see truly massive amounts of delusional coping mechanisms or outright incoherent ranting about college football check out the Red Cedar Message Board or 11 Warriors right now... my favorite posts were a guy on the RCMB claiming we had destroyed college football and made it unwatchable (see the note about record setting viewing audiences above) or a guy on 11 Warriors claiming the Connor Stallions non-story was the most egregious example of cheating in CFB history and tarnished the sport.

like WOW is that so? People must really be tuning out... I bet tickets for the Championship will be affordable... oh... wait... shit.

Back