Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stauskus and Robinson III to enter draft

Like I've said before, the Pistons drafted Tony Mitchell (supposed athletic freak) from North Texas in the 2nd round, and he's not doing anything. There are players like GR3 scattered throughout the NBA. I wish the kid succeeds, but his game is so similar to a million other players. He doesn't do anything exceptional other than be athletic.

Athleticism isn't a special trait in the NBA. Everyone in the league is either athletically gifted or exceptionally large. Players who rely solely on athleticism being their number one skill in the NBA do not make it far.

I'd be willing to lay 10/1 odds that GR3 will be a solid, but unspectacular NBA player. He does not have nearly the same heart that his old man had. Hopefully he proves me wrong, but I just don't see it. He'll be drafted at the bottom of round 1, early round 2, where players very rarely carve out a career.

The highlight of his NBA career will be when he is in the dunk contest.

Wow per Twitter: Caris LeVert said he will return next year. He considered leaving, for NBA eval and talked to coaches and his mom. Going to Durant camp.

We would have been in real trouble had Lavert left.

That would have been the worst career move he could have made if he left. But, he can potentially be an all-american player next season.

I think his family knows he can improve more (Caris)

met his mom and his aunt tonight

he won the Steve grote hustle award and the Rudy T most improved player awards

I said I'd like to see you back to Mitch

Lol

The mlive reporter and I talked a bit.. We feel it could go either way. Supposedly his family wants him to stay

It's hard not to envision the team taking a step back next year if McGary is gone. That'd be a lot of talent to replace. Ever since Darius Morris it seems like anyone who could conceivably leave for the NBA has gone that route. Such is the nature of college bball I suppose.

I think that the quality kids will make a "Beilein" to M's program to fill the gaps left by the good players who left. I am not concerned. I think it illustrates the strength of the program, not its potential weakness. Seems to me that the good players leave after two years now...its the what things are.

I know someone else would step up and be able to contribute. Losing Nik and GR3 doesn't worry me a ton, because guys like Zak and Caris and even Chatman will get a chance to shine. It's McGary that worries me. There will be absolutely 0 post presence without him.

It's hard not to envision the team taking a step back next year if McGary is gone. That'd be a lot of talent to replace. Ever since Darius Morris it seems like anyone who could conceivably leave for the NBA has gone that route. Such is the nature of college bball I suppose.

It sort of creates a cycle. Guy leaves early, another guy gets playing time earlier to replace him and develops faster, then he leaves.....

Places like Kansas, Kentucky, and Duke can survive just fine because they have 3 or 4 more coming in the next season. Though even those teams don't become champions unless a few of them hang around until they are sophomores or juniors.

That sort of mindset among players has nearly ruined programs like Texas and UCLA. They'd recruits some good kids and they'd have average freshman seasons with minimal impact to their teams, then leave anyway and leave a gaping hole as those schools aren't quite recruiting at the UK, KU, Duke level. Beilein has survived nicely so far guys leaving and I think it's getting people's attention and drawing higher caliber recruits there. It will be interesting to see how long he can keep that up if he's going to continue to lose players.

Matt, things are going to change sooner than later (hopefully) with the whole system. Might be something like, you either declare you are going to play professionally right out of HS, or you will need to spend 3 years in college.

It sort of creates a cycle. Guy leaves early, another guy gets playing time earlier to replace him and develops faster, then he leaves.....

Places like Kansas, Kentucky, and Duke can survive just fine because they have 3 or 4 more coming in the next season. Though even those teams don't become champions unless a few of them hang around until they are sophomores or juniors.

That sort of mindset among players has nearly ruined programs like Texas and UCLA. They'd recruits some good kids and they'd have average freshman seasons with minimal impact to their teams, then leave anyway and leave a gaping hole as those schools aren't quite recruiting at the UK, KU, Duke level. Beilein has survived nicely so far guys leaving and I think it's getting people's attention and drawing higher caliber recruits there. It will be interesting to see how long he can keep that up if he's going to continue to lose players.

Yea Beilein has done a good job recruiting lately, and he does have to keep it up for the program to stay where it is. It just hurts as fans to see these guys leaving so soon. I enjoyed watching Burke, and Stauskas more than any other Michigan players in recent memory. They restored a lot of pride here. It just sucks to not have them around for junior and senior seasons.

Back