Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Offseason Deals and Rumors

Zobrist and Yunel Escobar to A's for John Jaso and 2 minor leaguers. Great deal for the As.

The more we get into the offseason, the worse ours looks. Guys like smith and zobrist are being dealt for peanuts and we went out and traded a starter for one of the worst possible choices we could have made. And that's without everything else.

Zobrist and Yunel Escobar to A's for John Jaso and 2 minor leaguers. Great deal for the As.

The new management regime in Tampa are showing their true colors. At this rate, there will be no dogfight for last place in the AL East.

I am OK with Cespedes and Iggy over Zobby and Yunel. I think Iggy's injury affected him at the plate too.

Last edited:
I wanted Zobrist some 4 or 5 years ago.
But we had the great Don Kelly.

There is a similar new player the redsox have that plays several positions too. Brock Holt.

I just want to know how the A's do it. Is there BB better than our DD?

Since 2002 (last 13 years)

Playoffs

OAK 6
DET 5

Winning Records

OAK 8
DET 8

Average Payroll last 10 years

DET $119.1 Mil
OAK $65.8 Mil

Beane does it by drafting smart and signing/trading for skills other teams don't value as much. That is the essence of "MoneyBall", not the high walk rates. It is just that high walk rates was what other teams didn't value when Beane took over.

Since 2002 (last 13 years)

Playoffs

OAK 6
DET 5

Winning Records

OAK 8
DET 8

Average Payroll last 10 years

DET $119.1 Mil
OAK $65.8 Mil

Beane does it by drafting smart and signing/trading for skills other teams don't value as much. That is the essence of "MoneyBall", not the high walk rates. It is just that high walk rates was what other teams didn't value when Beane took over.

Since that time Detroit has 2 world series appearances and plenty of series wins. Oakland has 1 playoff series win and nothing else.

Correct, but they did it with almost half the payroll.

My point was typical low payroll teams, Oakland - TB - Pittsburgh etc. haven't much success in the playoffs.

I wish we could compete and win in the playoffs at a lower income. But it seems higher payroll teams have a much better chance..So billy ball or whatever people call it seems to only get you so far..

My point was typical low payroll teams, Oakland - TB - Pittsburgh etc. haven't much success in the playoffs.

I wish we could compete and win in the playoffs at a lower income. But it seems higher payroll teams have a much better chance..So billy ball or whatever people call it seems to only get you so far..

Give Beane the payroll that DD has had and look out. Conversely, DD would be lucky to excel without the payroll.

Back