Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Offseason Deals and Rumors

oh...didn't know you meant median. I know a lot of times the mean and median are similar but in some cases they are very different. I have never heard of them used in the same manner but maybe in baseball stats they do.

Median = midpoint of select values

Mean = midway between two extremes

Whether I used the term "mean" or "median", contextually, using this data, they are the same.

Median = midpoint of select values

Mean = midway between two extremes

Whether I used the term "mean" or "median", contextually, using this data, they are the same.

I always use mean as the average and median as the mid point...I wasn't sure if you used the average or the mid point. In this case I think the mid point is the better number...which is what I think you used.

In my line of work we use those numbers very often and they can be very different.

I always use mean as the average and median as the mid point...I wasn't sure if you used the average or the mid point. In this case I think the mid point is the better number...which is what I think you used.

In my line of work we use those numbers very often and they can be very different.

Average is the the sum of the data divided by subset. For instance, the AL Average is the total team data divided by number of teams (15). In 2014, the AL Average OBP was .316. The median, the halfway of the 15 teams (8th place team), is also .316. The mean is the the midpoint between the highest extreme (.331) and the lowest (.300), but it at .3155, or .316 rounded. But that only works in this case because of the data sets (team data).

There is three distinct differences between these three definitions, however mean and median were very similar based on the data set I used.

Let's use more data

2012-2014 Away

At 300 PAs, 348 MLB players qualify. Votto leads with .434 OBP and Mathis is last with .220 OBP (I had Trout at .401 and Arencibia at .235 for .318 Mean). The mean for these two is .327. The median is halfway (174 ranked player), or .318. The average would be the 348 players' data summed, or .321.

300 PAs AWAY 2012-2014 (191 MLB players Qualify)

MEAN = .327

AVERAGE = .321

MEDIAN = .318

7. M. Cabrera .388
9. V. Martinez .387
17. P. Fielder .370

114. J.D. Martinez .330
125. T. Hunter .327
131. A. Dirks .325

148. A. Avila .322

162. A. Jackson .320
192. D. Young .315
203. O. Infante .312
208. J. Peralta .310
220. R. Davis .308
242. I. Kinsler .303
264. Y. Cespedes .294
290. A. Gose .286
302. B. Pena .282
308. R. Santiago .277

And again...

J. Iglesias = .306 Career Away OBP

B. Holaday = .286 Career Away OBP

Whether we look at Mean, Median or Average, DET has basically 4 players that are above that level and none of them historically bat #1 or #2. Add Castellanos and that makes 5.

I like the whole money ball way of baseball. Work the count, get the Starting Pitcher out of the game before the 5h inning, get to the bullpen early, draw walks. It just never seems to happen here in Detroit.

The Tigers get a lot of guys who are free swingers. Why that is I don't know. Is it the team approach?

I get just as pissed off at the same players you guys do. I usually don't post it though.

I respect guys like spock who wears his feelings on his sleeve. Nothing wrong with that. We are all on the same side here.

The Tigers need to seal the deal on a championship here before we all go crazy.

Can the team win it all this year?

Did we watch Verlander turn into a scrub before our very eyes?

What about Miggy will he ever get 100% healthy again?

Will J.D. Martinez be able to put up another solid season?

Will SS be a black hole for us again this season?

Can Castellanos (Another damn free swinger) start putting up acceptable numbers from a MLB 3rd baseman?

Last edited:
I like the whole money ball way of baseball. Work the count, get the Starting Pitcher out of the game before the 5h inning, get to the bullpen early, draw walks. It just never seems to happen here in Detroit.

The Tigers get a lot of guys who are free swingers. Why that is I don't know. Is it the team approach?

I get just as pissed off at the same players you guys do. I usually don't post it though.

I respect guys like spock who wears his feelings on his sleeve. Nothing wrong with that. We are all on the same side here.

The Tigers need to seal the deal on a championship here before we all go crazy.

Can the team win it all this year?

Did we watch Verlander turn into a scrub before our very eyes?

What about Miggy will he ever get 100% healthy again?

Will J.D. Martinez be able to put up another solid season?

Will SS be a black hole for us again this season?

Can Castellanos (Another damn free swinger) start putting up acceptable numbers from a MLB 3rd baseman?

Good questions. Don't forget about the bullpen. Even if everyone elevates their game offensively it won't matter if the bullpen is giving up 7 runs in the 6-7th inning. They should have signed Miller as our closer for the future. 10 million for Nathan, but they couldnt find 10 million for miller?
The whole season is riding on the strength of some old Tommy John arms.

Good questions. Don't forget about the bullpen. Even if everyone elevates their game offensively it won't matter if the bullpen is giving up 7 runs in the 6-7th inning. They should have signed Miller as our closer for the future. 10 million for Nathan, but they couldnt find 10 million for miller?
The whole season is riding on the strength of some old Tommy John arms.

From 2011-2014, 70% of DET's wins have come when they have scored 5 or more runs. In 2014, DET had their best record when scoring 5 runs (62-7, .899 WPCT), yet they scored 5 runs in only 69 games, 11 games fewer than the year before

Average last 4 years = 92 - 70
Last year = 90 - 72

Average Scoring 5 runs or more last 4 years = 64 - 12 .842 WPCT
Last year = 62 -7 .899 WPCT

Average when neither team scores 4 runs or more last 4 years = 28 - 25 .528 WPCT
Last year = 28 - 23 .549 WPCT

From all indications, there is nothing that points to the bull pen losing too many games the last few years. In fact, all of DET's averages are above league average.

Signing ONE guy to the bullpen is not changing the makeup of the bullpen really. Getting someone like Andrew Miller does what? Increase the win total by? At best, it would only be about 1-2 games, given the same conditions. Yet, a solid corner OFer who gets on base could increase the win total by 4-5 games, because the team would be scoring 5 runs or more in more games. So instead, we get 5 players over the last two years with abysmal on base percentages (Kinsler, Davis, Gose, Iglesias and Cespedes).

In 2013, DET scored 5 or more runs in 80 games. In 2014, going with speed and less OBP, it was down to 69 games. Yet, DET did better in 2014 games (51 games) when neither team scored 5 runs over 2013 (53 games). It was the overall pitching keeping the games close.

Starters
2014 = 68-55 (123) 90 QS 69 games 5 or more Run Support
2013 = 76-44 (120) 108 QS 80 games 5 or more Run Support
2012 = 63-51 (114) 90 QS 76 games 5 or more Run Support
2011 = 72-47 (119) 90 QS 78 games 5 or more Run Support

Relievers
2014 = 22-17 (39) 4.35 RA/G 71% SV% 33% IS%
2013 = 17-25 (42) 3.85 RA/G 71% SV% 28% IS%
2012 = 25-23 (48) 4.14 RA/G 71% SV% 31% IS%
2011 = 23-20 (43) 4.39 RA/G 84% SV% 34% IS%

Tigers OBP, 0.331, 1st in AL
Royals OBP 0.314, tied for 9th in AL
SF OBP 0.311 tied for 7th in NL

Tigers Runs per game, 4.16, 2nd in AL
Royals Runs per game, 3.58 9th in AL
SF Runs per game, 3.65 5th in NL

Tigers ERA 4.01, 11th in AL
KC ERA, 3.51, 4th in AL
SF ERA, 3.50, 7th in AL

Last year, I think it was the Tigers pitching that failed them more than the offense.

Your analysis is not quite kosher Tom.

You're using season numbers but not pointing out that the Tigers were the only one of those 3 teams to win a division, KC and SF were wildcards. The fact those 2 teams played for the WS is irrelevant, as anyone can get hot in the postseason.

So even though the Tigers pitching failed them more than the offense, it was still good enough to win the division, while KC's and SF's were not.

Your analysis is not quite kosher Tom.

You're using season numbers but not pointing out that the Tigers were the only one of those 3 teams to win a division, KC and SF were wildcards. The fact those 2 teams played for the WS is irrelevant, as anyone can get hot in the postseason.

So even though the Tigers pitching failed them more than the offense, it was still good enough to win the division, while KC's and SF's were not.

one could argue that the Tigers won the division because of their offense. I was just pointing out that the better offense won in the regular season but the teams that had the better pitching got to the WS. I know any team can get hot (well, except for the Tigers!)

one could argue that the Tigers won the division because of their offense. I was just pointing out that the better offense won in the regular season but the teams that had the better pitching got to the WS. I know any team can get hot (well, except for the Tigers!)

Right but stats you showed were regular season, if you want to make that point you should show stats from the post-season.

I get what you're trying to say, but using the stats you are is like trying to add 2+2 and get 5 as an answer.

Right but stats you showed were regular season, if you want to make that point you should show stats from the post-season.

I get what you're trying to say, but using the stats you are is like trying to add 2+2 and get 5 as an answer.

the reason I used regular season stats was because of the large sample size. If you only use a few games stats get very skewed. Over the course of 162 games is what the team really is...to me it doesn't make much sense to compare the post season stats.

To me the stats I used show that the Tigers offense was the better than the pitching.

It really doesn't matter...

The Mariners get Seth Smith for a fucking relief pitcher!

Hello McFly...I mean DD, where have you been?

I have not seen anything linking the Tigers and Scherzer for 7 years $180 million. With this being the last year in Detroit for David Price. I would not be surprised if Max does resign with Detroit.

The reason I say this

1. Max Likes Detroit
2. Detroit Likes Max
3. The connection with Scott Boras and Mr. I

The Mariners get Seth Smith for a fucking relief pitcher!

Hello McFly...I mean DD, where have you been?

I'm so fucking pissed about that. I would have MUCH rather had him than Cespedes. way to fucking go, DD.

Back