Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2018 Head Coach Search Matt Patricia

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018/1/24/16928078/detroit-lions-podcast-coaching-carousel-conference-championship-recap-matt-patricia-giants[/url]
Pride Of Detroit Lions How do the Lions fill the position coaching vacancies? PODcast discusses. 66 minutes.
Plus a championship weekend to dissect and more Matt Patricia rumors.

This week on the PODcast
Reactions from a championship weekend. The Jaguars blew it, the Pats are going back again and the Vikings got curb-stomped. Plenty to digest.

A number of positional coaches are all heading out of Detroit. We discuss the impact that will have on the future coaching staff and what this could mean once Detroit gets its own head coach finally.

New York whiffed on Matt Patricia.

Mailbag talks about the Oscars, Super Bowl food and more.

Former Lions QB coach Brian Callahan has interviews scheduled with Jets and Titans, per source. At Tennessee that is for OC job. Also wouldn?t rule him out for the Giants.
espn

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018...ive-line-defensive-back-coaches-jeff-davidson
Lions have decided on new quarterbacks, offensive line and defensive back coaches.
Matt Patricia is starting to fill out his staff.
POD

Jeff Davidson is very experienced and was with Patriots during their first Super Bowl dynasty. Anything is better than Prince. Davidson did lose his job to Chargers and Broncos the last two years though as Oline coach.

George Godsey another Pat connection and was OC of Texans. He already was with Lions doing special projects. We'll see how Cooter and Godsey work together

Stewart is more of a college coach but has some NFL experience. Hopefully he can teach Tabor like Williams/Oden did for Slay

Need Dline, LB and DC still. I hope Patricia calls the defensive plays though

Seeing some reports that Jim Bob Cooter will still be the OC next year. I kind of figured he would be returning seeing he wasnt out looking for another job like others on the staff were. I am OK with it but I hope they open it up a bit more. It will be interesting to see if the play calling changes at all. Because I cant help but wonder if Caldwell pushed for the conservative calls at times

Seeing some reports that Jim Bob Cooter will still be the OC next year. I kind of figured he would be returning seeing he wasnt out looking for another job like others on the staff were. I am OK with it but I hope they open it up a bit more. It will be interesting to see if the play calling changes at all. Because I cant help but wonder if Caldwell pushed for the conservative calls at times

He is what he is.. And because Patricia is defense coach I doubt that changes..

]https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2018/02/02/detroit-lions-matt-patricia-what-he-wants-assistants/301053002/
Expected Lions coach Matt Patricia explains what he wants in assistants.
Freep

Get JBC a RB and that offense is dynamic. Cooter knew what he had in Abdullah, Riddick, Zenner. Which isn't much. The only thing i'm concerned with was how he didn't recognize that Green had talent. Took too long for that kid to play. Not sure he's a starter in the league just yet but he can produce. Could make Riddick or Abdullah expendable...
Get a damn RB tho. Draft 1 or even 2 of them because the FA pool is weak at RB right now IMO. Not sure how i'd feel about a guy like Blount coming in. I'd be on the fence with it...

Get JBC a RB and that offense is dynamic. Cooter knew what he had in Abdullah, Riddick, Zenner. Which isn't much. The only thing i'm concerned with was how he didn't recognize that Green had talent. Took too long for that kid to play. Not sure he's a starter in the league just yet but he can produce. Could make Riddick or Abdullah expendable...
Get a damn RB tho. Draft 1 or even 2 of them because the FA pool is weak at RB right now IMO. Not sure how i'd feel about a guy like Blount coming in. I'd be on the fence with it...

I'm fine with moving on from Abdullah but I think Riddick needs to stay. Riddick has proven he can produce. Granted, it is only in the passing game. Abdullah has only proven that he can fumble, not get a 3rd and short and miss blocks.

I'm fine with moving on from Abdullah but I think Riddick needs to stay. Riddick has proven he can produce. Granted, it is only in the passing game. Abdullah has only proven that he can fumble, not get a 3rd and short and miss blocks.

I like Riddick too over Abdullah. Washington and/or Zenner can go bye bye as well.
Draft a stud RB or a FA maybe? Then stick with Riddick, Green and possibly Zenner.

I like Riddick too over Abdullah. Washington and/or Zenner can go bye bye as well.
Draft a stud RB or a FA maybe? Then stick with Riddick, Green and possibly Zenner.

Agreed. Keep Riddick and Green and the rest can go. I would rather have a UDFA than Washington or Zenner. Just more potential. The ceiling is very low with those two. We just need a starter. I don't think we need a superstar. Just someone who can have a game with 20 carries for 100 yards.

Back