Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2023 Tigers MLB Draft July 9-11 Pick Max Clark #1

Max Anderson ranked 91st and taken at 45 seems like a reach.

Scouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 50 | Run: 40 | Arm: 45 | Field: 40 | Overall: 45

Gatorade's Nebraska high school player of the year in 2020, Anderson had committed to play at Texas A&M but the Aggies didn't have a roster spot for him after several veterans gained an extra year of eligibility following the pandemic shutdown. He opted to stay home and play at Nebraska, where he won the Big Ten Conference freshman of the year in 2021. After providing consistent production in his first two college seasons and two summers in the Cape Cod League, he led the Big Ten in hitting (.410), slugging (.766) and OPS (1.224) in 2023.

Anderson has a quick right-handed swing and a knack for finding the barrel that allow him to make consistent hard contact. He stays inside the ball and excels at using the opposite field, with 10 of his first 13 homers this spring going to right field. He makes more groundball contact than is optimal, but his combination of bat speed and strength should give him average power.

Almost all of Anderson's value will come from his bat, with scouts seeing the upside of a Ty France or righty-hitting Max Muncy. He can make routine plays at second base in college but isn't suited to play there as a pro with below-average speed and range and fringy arm strength. He played third base in his first two seasons with the Cornhuskers but lacks the arm for the hot corner, so first base may be his best option despite him being short for the position.

it appears that they drafted Clark because of his potential defense. Then they draft two middle infielders that aren't good defenders.

Remember they hired some people out of the Tampa Bay scouting Department, and go back and look at the last so many drafts of the Rays. They took high school players quite a bit. These guys are all mostly crap shoots. I?m a bit puzzled but I?m sure Harris knows more then the rest of us. We gotta just keep fingers crossed and hope it?s the right set of picks. Watching Max highlights it looks like they like his Athleticism over Langfords. Don?t we have a Langford in the system because his knock is he is a sup-par defensive player I think ? . It?s Mallory isn?t it ? With baseball moving back to the 30/30 and 40/40 guys with the stolen bases and such it?s the only thing I can think of. We have always wanted them to draft players that fit our ballpark. Idk I?d have prefer the closer prospect because I?m tired of losing.

Last edited:
Tigers scouting director Mark Conner on No. 37 overall pick Kevin McGonigle: "He is one of the best pure high school hitters in the class. His bat-to-ball skills are up there with probably anybody in the class based on the evaluations of our staff." In complete control in the box and is an absolute barrel machine. Can drive the ball into either gap. Elite makeup.

Tigers scouting director Mark Conner on No. 45 overall pick Max Anderson: "He has a very high intense swing that's looking to do damage. The barrel stays through the zone extremely long. He's able to drive the ball to all fields."

Day 2 of the 2023 MLB Draft:

The Tigers select LHP Paul Wilson from Lakeridge High School (OR) with our third round pick (No. 76 overall).
https://twitter.com/i/status/1678469949524680707

The Tigers select SS Carson Rucker from Goodpasture Christian School (TN) with the club?s fourth round pick (No. 107 overall).

The Tigers select RHP Jaden Hamm from Middle Tennessee State University with the club?s fifth round pick (No. 143 overall).

The Tigers select C Bennett Lee from Wake Forest University with the club?s sixth round pick (No. 170 overall).

The Tigers select SS John Peck from Pepperdine University with the club?s seventh round pick (No. 200 overall).

Back