Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

3 Way Done deal , Tigers get Price !!

Overall but they have too many stretches where they can't score then they might throw out a couple 10 run games. Overall I don't consider them the third best offensive team..

But that's just my opinion.

Isn't the most accurate measure of offense how many runs that offense scores? The fact that they have the third most runs scored makes them the third best offensive team by definition.

Point taken. But it depends I guess. Just like Stafford and the Lions I want them to be more consistent.

Isn't the most accurate measure of offense how many runs that offense scores? The fact that they have the third most runs scored makes them the third best offensive team by definition.

somebody had a good post comparing Oakland's offense to Detroit's breaking it down (something like >4 runs, 0-2 runs, over 6 etc.) and they were very similar. The bottom line is baseball is very inconsistent no matter what team it is. Going into a playoff series I would rather have the best starters vs. the better offense. A great pitcher who is on his game can shut down any offense.

Since starting 27-12, DET has gone 31-35. I am sure the #5 starter had a lot to do with that.

In all seriousness, it is a combination of a lot of things. But starting pitching only had a slight blip during this timeframe.

DET

10th in AL Runs When Behind

11th in AL Runs in Late/Close Games

12th in AL Runs in Tied Games

I am sure the offense is just fine.

somebody had a good post comparing Oakland's offense to Detroit's breaking it down (something like >4 runs, 0-2 runs, over 6 etc.) and they were very similar. The bottom line is baseball is very inconsistent no matter what team it is. Going into a playoff series I would rather have the best starters vs. the better offense. A great pitcher who is on his game can shut down any offense.

OAK = Pitcher's Park

DET = Hitter's Park

If DET scoring is on par with OAK. What are we really saying?

OAK = Pitcher's Park

DET = Hitter's Park

If DET scoring is on par with OAK. What are we really saying?

Oakland averages 5.2 runs per game at home and 4.8 on the road
Tigers averages 4.6 runs per game at home and 4.8 on the road

As far as the comparison, he was comparing games where the teams scored a certain amount of runs.

Since starting 27-12, DET has gone 31-35. I am sure the #5 starter had a lot to do with that.

In all seriousness, it is a combination of a lot of things. But starting pitching only had a slight blip during this timeframe.

DET

10th in AL Runs When Behind

11th in AL Runs in Late/Close Games

12th in AL Runs in Tied Games

I am sure the offense is just fine.

Pitching in general had a lot to do with that yes, including the starters. That 31-35 record includes the god awful 9-20 month we had to endure in which the pitching staff gave up 174 runs, or an average of 6 a game.

Pitching in general had a lot to do with that yes, including the starters. That 31-35 record includes the god awful 9-20 month we had to endure in which the pitching staff gave up 174 runs, or an average of 6 a game.

DET has 58 wins. 41 (70.7%) when scoring 5 runs or more.

2011-2013 DET also had 70.7% of their wins when they scored 5 runs or more

In 2014, 41-4 (.911 WPCT) when scoring 5 runs or more

2011-2013 DET has a .819 WPCT in games that they scored 5 runs or more

In 2014, they score 5 runs in 42.9% of the games. 2011-2013, they averaged 49.0% of the games.

2014 = 17-15 (.531 WPCT) when neither scores 5 runs or more

2011-2013 they were 81-77 (.513 WPCT) when neither team scores 5 runs

In 2014, 29.5% of games came when neither team scored 5 runs. 2011-2013, that rate is 32.5%. Pretty similar.

In 2014, 28.3% of the wins came when the team scores less than 5

2011-2013, 29.3% of the wins came when the team scores less than 5

Analysis. Pretty much everything is the same rates, except how often DET scores 5 runs. Despite being #3 offense, they still only score 5 runs in 42.9% of the games. A huge drop from averaging 49% from 2011-2013.

Last edited:
I don't know about low ba high walk rates, though it's better than low ba low walk rate ;-), but what's not to like about making a SP throw a lot of pitches early.

sabergeeks LOVE players with low BA but above average walkrates. I don't get it either.

And the uninformed love batting average even when it means very little, and resist any meaningful stat.

I'm not surprised you don't get it. Maybe instead of always tossing insults and calling people names, you should at least try to understand what so called "sabergeeks" know that you don't comprehend.

Or you can just go on pretending the world is still flat.

I just don't understand who you "we needed a bat" guys expected to get. Marlon Byrd?...is that who were crying over? No way in hell the As trade Cespedes to us lol. Soooo who then? You either score runs or stop the other team from scoring runs.....price will help with that. Were better today than we were 2 days ago.

Any number of hitters were probably available from a number of 'seller' teams. To say only player X was traded so he was the only one available is just dumb.

Before yesterday not a single person on this board would have though Cespedes or Ajax would be moved.

The only one I would've really wanted that we could have afforded would have been Seth Smith, but unfortunately the new contract he signed at the beginning of July stipulated that he couldnt be traded in July. If not for that clause, the Padres probably would have traded him off (hence the clause lol)

Last edited:
I just don't understand who you "we needed a bat" guys expected to get. Marlon Byrd?...is that who were crying over? No way in hell the As trade Cespedes to us lol. Soooo who then? You either score runs or stop the other team from scoring runs.....price will help with that. Were better today than we were 2 days ago.

In case you haven't followed the discussion which seems you haven't..no one and I mean no one is saying Price isnt great and that we aren't better than 2 days ago.

We're just discussing.."now what in regards to OF position". No one is whining except the ones whining that they think others are whining..

:ugh:

DET has 58 wins. 41 (70.7%) when scoring 5 runs or more.

2011-2013 DET also had 70.7% of their wins when they scored 5 runs or more

In 2014, 41-4 (.911 WPCT) when scoring 5 runs or more

2011-2013 DET has a .819 WPCT in games that they scored 5 runs or more

In 2014, they score 5 runs in 42.9% of the games. 2011-2013, they averaged 49.0% of the games.

2014 = 17-15 (.531 WPCT) when neither scores 5 runs or more

2011-2013 they were 81-77 (.513 WPCT) when neither team scores 5 runs

In 2014, 29.5% of games came when neither team scored 5 runs. 2011-2013, that rate is 32.5%. Pretty similar.

In 2014, 28.3% of the wins came when the team scores less than 5

2011-2013, 29.3% of the wins came when the team scores less than 5

Analysis. Pretty much everything is the same rates, except how often DET scores 5 runs. Despite being #3 offense, they still only score 5 runs in 42.9% of the games. A huge drop from averaging 49% from 2011-2013.

Trust me I'm not disputing the fact that our offense is down a bit (as they are across baseball from what I keep hearing), or that it is inconsistent. I was one of the guys who asked for a bat and a reliever at the deadline yet I still like the Price trade.

The point was refuting the idea that starting pitching didn't play much of a factor during the tremendous team slump that led to the 9-20 stretch (and ultimately the 32-35 we are in now). It definitely did and I think it was the biggest problem, moreso than the offense. You can't win games when you're giving up double digit runs, and they did that multiple times.

Back