Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

3 Way Done deal , Tigers get Price !!

Trust me I'm not disputing the fact that our offense is down a bit (as they are across baseball from what I keep hearing), or that it is inconsistent. I was one of the guys who asked for a bat and a reliever at the deadline yet I still like the Price trade.

The point was refuting the idea that starting pitching didn't play much of a factor during the tremendous team slump that led to the 9-20 stretch (and ultimately the 32-35 we are in now). It definitely did and I think it was the biggest problem, moreso than the offense. You can't win games when you're giving up double digit runs, and they did that multiple times.

Across the board, for whatever the reason, yes, the starters took a dump. But they seem to be back on track now. And I don't believe the Soria deal changed the bullpen to really be ecstatic.

The offense has a tendency, as a whole, to disappear. And with the knowledge that 2/3 of all AL Teams wins over the last 5 years or so have come when a team scores 5 runs, then I am more concerned about the offense.

Across the board, for whatever the reason, yes, the starters took a dump. But they seem to be back on track now. And I don't believe the Soria deal changed the bullpen to really be ecstatic.

The offense has a tendency, as a whole, to disappear. And with the knowledge that 2/3 of all AL Teams wins over the last 5 years or so have come when a team scores 5 runs, then I am more concerned about the offense.

That's fair enough. There's nothing there I really disagree with you on. I do think Soria will help, and unfortunately he's had a rough couple outings as a first impression so people quickly soured on him. If just two of the three of Soria, Joba, and Nathan can get us six outs....a big IF though haha.

If you had the time and patience for it, could you do a similar type analysis for the other AL teams? I'm just wondering if the drop in 5+ runs games is trending across the league and not just with the Tigers.

I'm just wondering if the drop in 5+ runs games is trending across the league and not just with the Tigers.

The better PED testing gets, the less runs get scored. In 2014, a record number of game patrons have been caught closing their eyes during games. Attendances are starting to slip across MLB. Does Selig really believe the sport can weather boring baseball and still remain as profitable? Overall, patrons prefer more offense to better defense and better pitching.

Their wallets will eventually demand it. Just a matter of time.

Last edited:
I thought both were funny.

The one that Tampa used is used all the time, Detroit is shit etc. Every time a fan of the tigers argue with a fan of somewhere else, sooner or later you get some stupid remark about the city of Detroit. That's why I didn't find that one funny..

No one ever realizes players don't live in the city and fans, most, don't live in the city either.

The better PED testing gets, the less runs get scored. In 2014, a record number of game patrons have been caught closing their eyes during games. Attendances are starting to slip across MLB. Does Selig really believe the sport can weather boring baseball and still remain as profitable? Overall, patrons prefer more offense to better defense and better pitching.

Their wallets will eventually demand it. Just a matter of time.

I don't mind a good pitched game, at home. At the ballpark yeah I want offense..

There are so many SP who are putting crazy numbers up. I suppose they could lower the mound, or shorten the strike zone. I'll take that over PEDS. Because not everyone uses them..

The one that Tampa used is used all the time, Detroit is shit etc. Every time a fan of the tigers argue with a fan of somewhere else, sooner or later you get some stupid remark about the city of Detroit. That's why I didn't find that one funny..

No one ever realizes players don't live in the city and fans, most, don't live in the city either.

For the most part, the City of Detroit is a dump. I doubt there is a single poster here that actually lives in the city.

For the most part, the City of Detroit is a dump. I doubt there is a single poster here that actually lives in the city.

Exactly thats why TB tweet wasn't funny to me..it's been used to death. Everyone in the country knows Detroit is a shit hole..

That's fair enough. There's nothing there I really disagree with you on. I do think Soria will help, and unfortunately he's had a rough couple outings as a first impression so people quickly soured on him. If just two of the three of Soria, Joba, and Nathan can get us six outs....a big IF though haha.

If you had the time and patience for it, could you do a similar type analysis for the other AL teams? I'm just wondering if the drop in 5+ runs games is trending across the league and not just with the Tigers.

2011-2013 AL Teams

42.3% of games where the team scores 5 runs (68.5 games out of 162)

.790 WPCT in games where the team scores 5 runs

Wins in games where team scores 5 runs is 65.8% of the wins

2014 AL Teams

40.1% of games where the team scores 5 runs (65.0 games out of 162)

.814 WPCT in games where the team scores 5 runs

Wins in games where team scores 5 runs is 63.7% of the wins

While it is down, it really isn't significantly down.

In case you haven't followed the discussion which seems you haven't..no one and I mean no one is saying Price isnt great and that we aren't better than 2 days ago.

We're just discussing.."now what in regards to OF position". No one is whining except the ones whining that they think others are whining..

:ugh:

seems you haven't been following the discussion....cause that's exactly what people are saying:

we needed a bat
price wont get us more wins than smyly
ajax loss caused a huge hole
we have no lead off guy
ajax was 5th on the team in most major categories (which isn't very good)...whyd we trade him for a pitcher?

these are all the arguments iver heard so far this thread and im sure im missing some......

2011-2013 AL Teams

42.3% of games where the team scores 5 runs (68.5 games out of 162)

.790 WPCT in games where the team scores 5 runs

Wins in games where team scores 5 runs is 65.8% of the wins

2014 AL Teams

40.1% of games where the team scores 5 runs (65.0 games out of 162)

.814 WPCT in games where the team scores 5 runs

Wins in games where team scores 5 runs is 63.7% of the wins

While it is down, it really isn't significantly down.

Thanks for that. Appreciate the work you do hunting down these numbers.

seems you haven't been following the discussion....cause that's exactly what people are saying:

we needed a bat
we have no lead off guy
ajax was 5th on the team in most major categories (which isn't very good)...whyd we trade him for a pitcher?

these are all the arguments iver heard so far this thread and im sure im missing some......

Seems like you're the one that hasn't been following this discussion.

we needed a bat
we have no lead off guy

I suppose if you cherry a pick person here or there. We all know Price is better than Smyly..that AJax is average and that the deal based on talent was a good deal. For many, not everyone is going to agree.

But Ajax did cause a hole, even if the trade was a good one doesn't mean we can't wonder "so how can we make up for Ajax production etc" -- but others thinks that's complaining. I don't get that part.

Thanks for that. Appreciate the work you do hunting down these numbers.

Just FYI....total games and runs for AL

2013 through July 31st

1600 Games 6980 Runs 4.36 R/G

2014 through July 31st

1615 Games 6859 Runs 4.25 R/G

Well Tigers are 2-0 since the trade. Price has not been in any game. But our two starting pitchers have pitch like Cy Youngs. And Davis is 5 for 9 while playing center. Now he's not going to keep that up. But AJ 2 for 7 for Seattle in that small time. The tale of the story will be how those two do the rest of the season. Right now Davis is ahead.

As for how Price and Smyly do. ESPN said Tigers give more run support than the Rays do. But IMO the Rays have better D than the Tigers. Price should give more innings.

When I opened the main Detroit forum web page I saw " 3 Way Done deal , Tigers get..."

I thought they pulled off a new trade!

Back