Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

9 conference games

Mawilli

Why do we start playing 9 conference games starting next year?

With the extra teams in the B1G, the conference has decided to go to a 9 game schedule. It accomplishes a few things. Stronger SOS, more money for the conference, and making sure cross division games can be played more often. At least that's how I see it.

Edit: I mean, we haven't played Wisconsin in like 5 years. I don't know that Hoke ever played them. That's ridiculous.

With the extra teams in the B1G, the conference has decided to go to a 9 game schedule. It accomplishes a few things. Stronger SOS, more money for the conference, and making sure cross division games can be played more often. At least that's how I see it.

Edit: I mean, we haven't played Wisconsin in like 5 years. I don't know that Hoke ever played them. That's ridiculous.

Mega conference destroying this. We don't play Iowa for a few years

In bball thus yeR we play msu, osu, northwestern only once

Going to nine games will eliminate a season where a team (Iowa) doesn't have to play Michigan, OSU, MSU, and PSU.

Are they going to fix these divisions? You cannot have Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State in the same division in the B10. It's ridiculous.

Something has to be done to realign the division's and rebalance the schedule.

MSU and OSU home/away should alternate and split out the overloaded East

The Big Ten West is a joke.

It's like the B12 North was ...Nebraska, Iowa State, KU, KSU, Mizzou & CU

vs

Texas, Oklahoma, Okie State, Texas A&M ....

Such a joke that the often double digit underdog from the North would upset in the B12 Championship Game (brought to you by Dr Pepper)

Has to be corrected. You can't have those three powers at the top. I don't know if Delany was banking on Wisconsin and Nebraska, but they suck. Iowa will fall back to their 3, 4 year mediocrity after this season.

Has to be corrected. You can't have those three powers at the top. I don't know if Delany was banking on Wisconsin and Nebraska, but they suck. Iowa will fall back to their 3, 4 year mediocrity after this season.

eh... whatever.

things will shake out in the end. trying to re-balance them makes more problems, and what are you going to do if the re-balanced split gets out of balance? Go back to West vs. East?

We've now seen two major re-alignments in 5 years. give it some time, and allow some stability to develop. jesus.

you can't keep blowing something up every 5 seconds just because you wanted to see a different result.

Nebraska was supposed to come in and win more BigTen titles than LeBron was supposed to in Miami ...remember?

How will things shake out? They have the three best teams playing in the same conference.

Iowa has been basically average throughout my life, Nebraska was good in the 90s. Wisconsin is the bread-winner in the West, which is pathetic.

Michigan, OSU, Michigan State, one of them has to be swapped. You can't have a division be that top-heavy. Those three teams will be the best three teams in the conference for years to come, that's not going to change.

Yes, you have a point. Knee-jerk reactions to problems are always the way to go.

PSU has been recruiting pretty well lately too. If they turn that talent into results on the field, and their o-line stops sinking their pass game, then the East gets even stronger.

Their class rankings the last 3 years:

2016 - #10
2015 - #15
2014 - #24

it's not like UM, MSU, or Ohio St. have ever had off years, or several years in a row where they weren't competitive.

Hell, even historically, Michigan and Ohio State are the best two teams in the conference. Michigan State is now a power and is not going anywhere.

No one in the west has been a consistent force this decade. Wisconsin is very solid, and if there was movement, they would be the one who should be swapped for one of the 3 in the east.

Last edited:

Its the same with the SEC East. You cant predict these things.

one thing that really sucks about this is that there will be no more bye weeks in the conference season. our byes will come in the first 3 weeks of the year, even the opening weekend. you can move your game if the other team agrees to it but all big ten teams will play 9 straight games.

Back