Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

9 conference games

I'd be in favor of getting rid of divisions and just taking the top two teams in the standings for the big ten title game. Let's say for example, Iowa sucked this year and the west team had 2 or 3 conference losses, they'd take 2 out of MSU, OSU, and UM. You could play 8 or 9 and take the top 2. last year would have been MSU/OSU part 2 as opposed to MSU against a mediocre Wisconsin team. There was the year where OSU and PSU were on probation so the leaders division had to take their #3 team.

lots of problems solved.

Last edited:
With the extra teams in the B1G, the conference has decided to go to a 9 game schedule. It accomplishes a few things. Stronger SOS, more money for the conference, and making sure cross division games can be played more often. At least that's how I see it.

Edit: I mean, we haven't played Wisconsin in like 5 years. I don't know that Hoke ever played them. That's ridiculous.

Are the other recently expanded conferences that have 2 divisions and a CCG going to 9 conference games, or just the B1G?

Are the other recently expanded conferences that have 2 divisions and a CCG going to 9 conference games, or just the B1G?

the PAC-12 already has done this. they all play 9 conference games. they may have had that requirement even before expanding to 12.

I'd be in favor of getting rid of divisions and just taking the top two teams in the standings for the big ten title game. Let's say for example, Iowa sucked this year and the west team had 2 or 3 conference losses, they'd take 2 out of MSU, OSU, and UM. You could play 8 or 9 and take the top 2. last year would have been MSU/OSU part 2 as opposed to MSU against a mediocre Wisconsin team. There was the year where OSU and PSU were on probation so the leaders division had to take their #3 team.

lost of problems solved.

I agree with this.. No divisions.. top two teams play in the BT championship at the end.

They play for some manufactured thing and 'rivalry' like the B10 forced on MSU & PSU.

This has to be the most boring "rivalry" trophy ever.

Heroes-Trophy-Iowa-Nebraska.png

A quick google image search offers a much better option. It's also a real thing that is exchanged between The Innocents Society of Nebraska and Iowa's Presidents Leadership Society.
108_Corn_Bowl_Exchange.jpg

Last edited:
The only problem I see with that solution is if you lump everyone together and just take the top 2, you might have seasons where you have like 5-6 teams that are 6-2, 5-3 in conference. The tiebreakers are going to be insane.

Keep the divisions for scheduling matters and re-seed 1-12 at the end, top 2 teams play OR ....

Seed 1-4 and have a BigTen playoff!

OR take Top 2 from each Division and seed that way 1 vs 2 each side so then Wisky vs Iowa could still happen if they beat MSU and UM in round one ...

Well shit, Sbee and I basically agree.

Last edited:

lots of problems solved.

OSU played a mediocre Wisconsin team in the big 10 CG last season.

A quick google image search offers a much better option. It's also a real thing that is exchanged between The Innocents Society of Nebraska and Iowa's Presidents Leadership Society.

I did think the trophy had a corn cob on it.

If you did that 1 v 4 big ten playoff, you'd have to drop off a conference game and start that playoff a week early, correct?

OSU played a mediocre Wisconsin team in the big 10 CG last season.

I was going to say that but then Wisconsin beat Auburn and OSU beat Bama and Oregon, so maybe it was a combination of OSU being great and WIsconsin being shitty.

Either way, I think it's better for the best two teams in the conference to play, not the best of the 7 teams to the west vs the best of 7 to the east. Whoever gets left out would be pissed but oh well, losing a tiebreaker for 2nd stings less than losing one for 1st.

also, I'd lean toward 8 conference games. Adding another conference game and potential loss would make teams schedule softer in the preseason. the top teams would be gunning for perfect records and the others would be trying to get to 6 wins.

Bama backed out of a home and home with MSU once they had to go to 9 conference games

Last edited:

that has to be one of the whitest pictures ever taken.

Why would anyone want UM, MSU and OSU split up? Who wants a year where these rivals don't play each other...for what end? Hoping they meet in the CCG???

It doesn't matter that the West puts up a different team each year. Who wants to watch Wisky vs OSU in CCG every year? Remember, it wont always be UM or MSU in the CCG every year. And the West will win the CCG some years, and with how things cycle they might even win more than lose over any given decade.

Equally confusing is a 4 team playoff for the conference when I have seen opposition to a national 16 team playoff. 4 team playoff in 4 conferences would be a 16 team playoff...so I'm not understanding why one 16 playoff is better than another.

I guess all this confusion means I need to go to sleep. Lol

Think of the demographics at an Iowa vs Nebraska game.

When you watch the OSU/UM game this weekend, what will that demographic look like? Not actually all that different, no?

I've been doing several google image searches on "University of Michigan clubs" (President's Leadership Society/Innocents Society/President's Club/even the Glee Club). Aside from a token minority, it isn't like there is a demographic representation equal to the US population or the student body at UM.

So it isn't just a Nebraska and Iowa thing. It might be more pronounced there, I have no data to claim it is or is not. However, it appears there are many "whites only" or heavily skewed toward "whites" clubs on UM's campus that they would have yielded a similar representation in that type of photo.

Back