Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Al Kaline 12/19/1934 - 04/06/2020 RIP#6

I'm terrible with numbers associated with baseball players. The only player who's number I know is Mickey Mantle's #7 because of George from Seinfeld wanting to name his child Seven

Even though Kaline had already been in the league since 1953 he was my favorite player in the early 1970’s when I was 10. I liked him Willie Horton, and for some reason Aurelio Rodriguez the best growing up. But then the 1968, 1984, and 2006,2012 teams all had fun players to root for. I guess they change with the passing of time.

Last edited:
I'm terrible with numbers associated with baseball players. The only player who's number I know is Mickey Mantle's #7 because of George from Seinfeld wanting to name his child Seven

Kaline wore #6.

Costanza?s cousin in Detroit wanted to name his kid Six, but Larry David couldn?t figure out a way to seemlessly work that into any episode.

So very few people are aware of this little factoid.

How could you not recall from memory the iconic #59 of tigers legend Fu Te Ni?

3,000 Hits and 10 Gold Gloves:

Roberto Clemente
Willie Mays
Ichiro Suzuki
Al Kaline

Source: baseball-reference

Jeez. What a great man. Rest in peace and sorry to those who are especially big fans of his. Bad day indeed.

Saw this posted somewhere else:

The ball player who inspired battery makers everywhere has left us. RIP, Al Kaline...

I remember a book I read where it stated Mr. Kaline, who was making $90,000 at the time, turned down a $10,000 raise because he said he didn't earn that. Amazing and that always stuck with me.

I was fortunate to catch his last few years.

I remember a book I read where it stated Mr. Kaline, who was making $90,000 at the time, turned down a $10,000 raise because he said he didn't earn that. Amazing and that always stuck with me.

I was fortunate to catch his last few years.

according to Google

After hitting .294 in 1971, Kaline became the first Tiger to sign a $100,000 ($631,306 in today's dollars) contract. He had turned down a pay raise from $95,000 to $100,000 the previous year, saying he did not feel like he deserved it after hitting .278 with 21 home runs in 1970.

over his 22 year career he earned $1,184,000

How times have changed.

This be a sad day. Kaline once told Mr I, to get better, get better management. Tigers may have lost their best thinker.
Kaline going deep into right field and losing sight, of him, at the last few feet; due to location of cam in those days. Yea he got it. That's one of my memories of Kaline. I also remember when he turned down the $100,000. Forget about earning it he deserved it. With his D in right.

according to Google

After hitting .294 in 1971, Kaline became the first Tiger to sign a $100,000 ($631,306 in today's dollars) contract. He had turned down a pay raise from $95,000 to $100,000 the previous year, saying he did not feel like he deserved it after hitting .278 with 21 home runs in 1970.

over his 22 year career he earned $1,184,000

How times have changed.

Thanks.

All you guys here, I got home from my part time job that since the covid 19 has turned to full time. I am even sorting and delivering mail to residents at the independent and assisted living facility I work at. 38 years of postal grunt, and retired for 14, back to that grind.
I left at 4:30 and checked my phone. Wondered what was going on, then saw Bob you called, and a couple of twitter messages that my/our beloved hero to generations of Tigers and Baseball fans had died this afternoon.
I am heartbroken and have shed many tears.
My hero since 1954 and that first game with Dad at Briggs Stadium.
I always knew this day was coming, but still you're never prepared.
For me it's like losing a family member.
A great player and even greater person. A man of dignity and grace. He was elegant and never a wasted motion in RightField or CenterField.
Several managers like Bob Scheffing and Chuck Dressen said he was the Ultimate Team Player. Meeting the great Mickey Mantle at an autograph and pictures with Mick show back in 1985, is when Mickey told me that Al was the best all-around Baseball player in the American League.
God Bless You Al. Thankyou for a lifetime of thrills. You will live on in my minds eye and heart.
I will post everything regarding Al's passing here Bob. Thankyou for starting this thread for everyone.
You're right, it's a shitty f'n day.

RIP Al Kaline. When you are just a kid, the stars on your city or state's teams are larger than life, and that is how I viewed many of them until Al retired in '74 and I turned 18 soon after. The only exception being The Bird for that one crazy Bicentennial season of '76 when he became a national sensation.

Last edited:
Back