Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Cut Stafford....really? Grades as a Top 10 QB

While he is making easier throws, the key is hes actually making the easier throws.

Prior years there would be a number a easy throws a game he would unexplainably miss. Now even his poor throws for the most part are borderline catch-able with a great play (Pass to Roberts on the final drive for example).

We are seeing an NFL QB in Detroit for this first time in many many years.

JBC has turned those short throws into our running game. Stafford is finally making those "easy" throws he was missing in the past. His stats this year are great, and that is with us leading the league in drops.

Doesn't the leading league in drops speak even further to the lack of these weapons and how great Stafford's been playing?

Leading in drops, ZERO running game, an offensive line that's OK at best. They replaced Calvin with Marvin Jones, losing players left and right to injury.

Throwing short passes is difficult. Brady throws short passes. So does brees. All damn day. Stop trying to discredit him with scheme. The bomb to marvin was a thing of beauty. Same to tate last week

You are really good at talking out of all 3 sides of your mouth. I can never figure out your narrative.

Logically, wouldn't it be much easier to throw short passes compared to long passes? I mean I'm not a brain surgeon, but... That seems like the obvious answer, no?

Its not something to discredit him about. Stafford making plays at every depth of throw. Fonally have weapons to get yac too. Finally some protection unlike 2014 and forst half of 2015. Run game some games at least

He is elite and he has weapons. Oline improved. We gave a good offense thanks to many people.

Defense just needs much more health

And he had a 97 rating last year. Great second half with a worse oline and less weapons

Last edited:
And short is just as tough. More traffic short. Deeper you have space especially if singled deep. Yes you complete more shorter but every qb has many more shorter throws than bombs

I think you've missed the total point of everything. I've been nothing but complimentary about how well he's played. So much so that he's been able to mask the deficiencies on the offensive end, including an okay line, ZERO running game, and WRs that aren't great overall but good enough.

Stafford is great, oline much improvrd and weapons are good and reliable. He has had some run support and Stafford runs much better this year. Another key

You underrate the weapons and the oline. They are factors in staffors finally getting to have elite numbers. Its a variety of reasons. Stafford continuance of second half of 2015 included

He's had some run support? Can you just please not troll for ONE MINUTE? The Lions are 24th in YPG on the ground, and don't have a rusher ABOVE 200 YARDS. And the second leading rusher is Stafford. Think about it. Please. He's turning and handing the ball of to Zach freaking Zenner.

You don't need to keep saying Stafford is great. You are just going in circles. It's been established.

Last edited:
Some games he has. It is not trolling. It is stating facts. He has had run support some games. Week 1 2 and 7 he had run support. Almost half the games

And zenner 4.1 ypc in week6

Last edited:
Oh okay, so one week for Zenner's YPC. Weird. Even though he's at like 3.6 on the season.

Edit, even worse. 3.3.

Last edited:
Can we stop perpetuating the myth that there is some correlation between high YPC in the running game and successful QB play. There is very little to back that up.

That's not the argument. The discussion is how one side is arguing Stafford has a ton of weapons, and the other is that he is basically doing it all on his own.

Wouldn't Football 101 say that if you have a good running attack, life would be easier on the QB?

That's not the argument. The discussion is how one side is arguing Stafford has a ton of weapons, and the other is that he is basically doing it all on his own.

Wouldn't Football 101 say that if you have a good running attack, life would be easier on the QB?

Maybe theoretical football 101, but actual real life data doesn't show that to be a fact. Top QB play lands at both ends of the YPC results.

The fact that stafford gets more % of yards through YAC than any other QB shows he isn't doing it by himself. Stafford is playing great, they are having great plays called, and the playmakers are making plays.

Last edited:
I think that's what make Stafford's season more impressive to this point. Teams do not need to worry one iota about Zach Zenner beating them in the backfield.

It is impressive he has done it 4 games of 7 without much run support. Also impressive. I think the lions only have one drive all year dtarting in opponents territory. Cam won mvp with like 30 turnovers from his defense

Back