Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Cut Stafford....really? Grades as a Top 10 QB

dtroitlionsfan951

Guys, I would like to think most of you are knowledgeable about sports. But when I read this I can't understand. Maybe you all need to go back and watch every game of lions quarterbacking since after Bobby layne was traded to Pittsburgh. Seriously....since he has been a lion he has had a combination of things on this team that limit his success. The biggest culprit..his running game..it is not normal for a qb to have a running game this poor over a 7-8 span. I think there was one year in his entire career he had a MEDIOCRE running game. In fact I'd be willing to bet that his time as a lion we have had the worst running attack in the entire league over that span. Now, next up. His DEFENSE not only has he had an abysmal running game but he had a defense one year. Oh and in that one year he had next to nothing to throw the ball too. Calvin was hurt and golden was our only option on that offense. I shouldn't even have to explain to any of you of why getting rid of Stafford doesn't make sense. 6-7 teams would bid heavily on his services if he were released. Seriously, get over yourselves.

Last edited:
Guys, I would like to think most of you are knowledgeable about sports. But when I read this I can't understand. Maybe you all need to go back and watch every game of lions quarterbacking since after Bobby layne was traded to Pittsburgh. Seriously....since he has been a lion he has had a combination of things on this team that limit his success. The biggest culprit..his running game..it is not normal for a qb to have a running game this poor over a 7-8 span. I think there was one year in his entire career he had a MEDIOCRE running game. In fact I'd be willing to bet that his time as a lion we have had the worst running attack in the entire league over that span. Now, next up. His DEFENSE not only has he had an abysmal running game but he had a defense one year. Oh and in that one year he had next to nothing to throw the ball too. Calvin was hurt and golden was our only option on that offense. I shouldn't even have to explain to any of you of why getting rid of Stafford doesn't make sense. 6-7 teams would bid heavily on his services if he were released. Seriously, get over yourselves.

I think it's mostly dump the team and if we're starting over why not get rid of the QB as well. With that being said Matt is just an okay player.. His biggest fault, inconsistent. Not good for a starting QB. If by heavily you mean two 1st round picks than yeah, do it.

Dude, no one said CUT. You can still get value for him.

Here's the bottom line. He's part of the entire formula. If this team truly wants to do it the right way and start from scratch, they need to move on from Stafford. It gives him a chance near the tail end of his career to win with another program and gives the Lions potentially cap space/high draft picks to move forward. Yeah, it's not all that fair to him that he needs to go, but this thing needs to be purged, top to bottom.

I could see it benefiting both parties.

I think it's very possible that the Lions haven't hit rock bottom yet, if they go into rebuilding mode in the near future, it's irrelevant whether Stafford is here or not. It may simply be time for the Lions move in a new direction and start fresh with a new coaching staff. As far as Stafford is concerned, he would finally get out of this shitty organization, maybe go some place where he's wanted/needed, and hopefully he gets to work with a competent coaching staff...something he hasn't really had here.

No, you don't cut someone just to do it. That's how you wind up with Joey harringtons. Stafford is better than okay. He is inconsistent, he is not a Drew Brees or a tom Brady. But he is a second tier guy. Like I said a lot of the league would line up to sign him. Because a lot still don't have qbs. And that should tell you right now that getting rid of him would not be beneficial to getting better. Unless we got really lucky and drafted the next tom Brady. Which is not very likely.

Also show me in any situation where a quarterback with Stafford type of numbers is "purged" I've literally never seen in since I've been watching football. NEVER NOT ONCE,

Last edited:
No, you don't cut someone just to do it. That's how you wind up with Joey harringtons. Stafford is better than okay. He is inconsistent, he is not a Drew Brees or a tom Brady. But he is a second tier guy. Like I said a lot of the league would line up to sign him. Because a lot still don't have qbs. And that should tell you right now that getting rid of him would not be beneficial to getting better. Unless we got really lucky and drafted the next tom Brady. Which is not very likely.

How is he a second tier guy? First game good, 2nd not good, 3rd not good until garbage time, 4th game not good. Last half of last season, good against inferior competition.. I don't even consider him top 20.. And who are these teams? Good teams already have better quarterbacks. So many rookies and 2nd-3rd year players I rather have. He's dog shit.

1 pro bowl and was like 7th alternative that year.. I hate talking about him because the team as a whole is bad and there's others that need to go first but no way is 2nd tier.

How is he a second tier guy? First game good, 2nd not good, 3rd not good until garbage time, 4th game not good. Last half of last season, good against inferior competition.. I don't even consider him top 20.. And who are these teams? Good teams already have better quarterbacks. So many rookies and 2nd-3rd year players I rather have. He's dog shit.

Baaaahahaha. Name 20 QBs better than Stafford.

Who is second tier to you?

I won't do a list but what has he done? Why is he second tier? You can't just throw 10-15 guys in 2nd tier and say 2nd tier. What happens people throw 5 top names and then a dozen 2nd tiers. So if you're the 17th best you're 2nd tier.

second tier guys win at some point in their career. We just continue to make up new excuses for stafford. Theres no excuse for a 200 yd day, 6 point and 2 INTs vs a shitty bears team. I dont think i saw anyone say cut him....you honestly cant.....our morons made it impossible to do that. Im ok with him being a building block for the future....but if you go into rebuild mode again then theres reason to start to start over from scratch. Mainly, because the fan base will be ready for something new. I know id watch a new coach, new ocord with Lamar Jackson at the helm! Fucking beats the life out of watching the same ol shit product losing in every way imaginable. At some point you need to make the product appealing to watch. Detroit fans are some of the most loyal fans in the world....and they continue to turn out in large numbers to support their team. But at some point its just not going to be worth it for them anymore....you might as well stay home and watch on your large screen in HD.

I hate talking about him because the team as a whole is bad

That's why most discussions involving Stafford are irrelevant, it's talked about way too much around here and elsewhere for whatever reason. Regardless of Stafford's level of play, it always seems like the Lions have bigger problems. Stafford can be good and I'll even say he's "good enough", but lets be honest, at best he's going to be the difference between this team being mediocre and being bad, it's an organizational issue and it has been his entire career. I don't think he's ever held this team back from winning a championship, the opportunity was never there to begin with :lmao:

That's why most discussions involving Stafford are irrelevant, it's talked about way too much around here and elsewhere for whatever reason. Regardless of Stafford's level of play, it always seems like the Lions have bigger problems. Stafford can be good and I'll even say he's "good enough", but lets be honest, at best he's going to be the difference between this team being mediocre and being bad, it's an organizational issue and it has been his entire career. I don't think he's ever held this team back from winning a championship, the opportunity was never there to begin with :lmao:

I agree with the bolded part but I do think that Matt is a cause at times from winning more games.. Would they have a SB title with someone else? No. But I believe as much as the defense is a big problem, the running game, OL - he's also a part of that.

I won't do a list but what has he done? Why is he second tier? You can't just throw 10-15 guys in 2nd tier and say 2nd tier. What happens people throw 5 top names and then a dozen 2nd tiers. So if you're the 17th best you're 2nd tier.

Of course you won't do a list because you can't

second tier guys win at some point in their career. We just continue to make up new excuses for stafford. Theres no excuse for a 200 yd day, 6 point and 2 INTs vs a shitty bears team. I dont think i saw anyone say cut him....you honestly cant.....our morons made it impossible to do that. Im ok with him being a building block for the future....but if you go into rebuild mode again then theres reason to start to start over from scratch. Mainly, because the fan base will be ready for something new. I know id watch a new coach, new ocord with Lamar Jackson at the helm! Fucking beats the life out of watching the same ol shit product losing in every way imaginable. At some point you need to make the product appealing to watch. Detroit fans are some of the most loyal fans in the world....and they continue to turn out in large numbers to support their team. But at some point its just not going to be worth it for them anymore....you might as well stay home and watch on your large screen in HD.

You're right second tier guys do win at some point in their career. Usually that point is when they have a good team around them no?

I agree with the bolded part but I do think that Matt is a cause at times from winning more games.. Would they have a SB title with someone else? No. But I believe as much as the defense is a big problem, the running game, OL - he's also a part of that.

A cause from not winning more games? Who at quarterback do you want to see realistically? Like I said the draft is a crapshoot. Only guys I can think of would be aaron Rodgers, Brady, Drew Brees, cam, maybe Big Ben and that's about it.

Why waste my time when you'll just be stupid about it. And start saying Matt is better than Russell Wilson.

I don't think he will say that. But, it is still very hard to come up with 20 QBs better than Stafford. You may be able to come up with 20 that you would rather have than Stafford but to say they are better is hard.

A cause from not winning more games? Who at quarterback do you want to see realistically? Like I said the draft is a crapshoot. Only guys I can think of would be aaron Rodgers, Brady, Drew Brees, cam, maybe Big Ben and that's about it. I think the only situations in the nfl that are comparable to Stafford are Andrew luck and Phillip rivers.

Back